Acting forums, all in one place

19,649 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Aug 2018

Hey Actors, Villain Headshot

Hello Reddit, so I'm an actor, I'm fairly young and I look it (though I still look like an adult, 23m). I'm looking to get a headshot that aims towards the word 'villain' while still being acceptable. I'm white with dark features and I'm frequently told in my daily life that I look like a bad guy from a movie (evil gen…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Aug 2018

WHAT TO DO TO PREPARE FOR LA

I’m an acting coach in LA and have been posting quite a bit here on this subreddit. So I’ve been receiving some questions from young actors hoping to come to LA someday. Some want to know about acting and the business in general. All of my posts are about that, so check them out if you need info. Some have specific que…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Aug 2018

There Are No Stupid Questions - Aug 4

Please feel free to ask any question at all related to acting, no matter how simple. There will be no judgements on questions posted here. Everyone starts somewhere. So ask away!

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Aug 2018

Interested in Acting, But I Have Physical Flaws :(

Hi guys, I've been interested in acting for the longest - I've taken two classes in college, including improv. And I've gotten good feedback from my classmates and even my acting teacher, who's known for being surly. But I've always held myself back from pursuing it any further. This is because I suffer from keloids. I…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2018

Will the role be filled before my audition?

So, I've done some small acting in the past. It's definitely not my biggest passion or anything. Sorry if that's hated here. I got asked randomly to audition for a role in a film. They found me. Weird. They asked me to come in tomorrow, but only gave me a day in advance. I told them I couldn't make it because of the sh…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2018

Actors tip in Los Angeles

If your in Los Angeles and you are SAG join the Sag Conservitory. Enrollment is once a year going on now. Then set yourelf up with an IActor profile so you can start going out for AFI films. There is no better training for the real thing then getting to work on their cycle films. They also offer a ton of classes and wo…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2018

Thoughts on American actors attending universities in England?

I’m 21, graduated high school, but have yet to go to college. I frequently take classes at a local acting studio, was happy with it, and didn’t feel the need to waste thousands of dollars on college. Now, however, I’m interested in pursuing a higher education. I’ve always been fascinated by English actors and how they…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2018

LA Headshot Photographer Thread. Who's who?

Hey LA Actors, This post is intended to suss out a non comprehensive list of who's who of LA headshot Photography. This isn't the final stop, but maybe a jumping off point for those looking for new and reputable headshots in LA. Leave a comment with the name of a professional headshot photographer doing work on par wit…

Backstage

Backstage · 2 Aug 2018

Demo reel production compaies

hello fellow actors, i could not find this question on the forum so I have to ask this question. I'll be brief ok. I have been cast in many indie films, cast as lead in plays and just finished 2 web series. however, can not get raw footage or any...

Backstage

Backstage · 2 Aug 2018

Trouble Getting Auditions

Hi Guys, I'm a little bit confused at what I should do. I'm a represented Actor, I've had some Auditions this year, but lately it's been excruciatingly slow, and I know it's not a slow time because my Acting friends are all running circles around me. They're booking TV Series...

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2018

It's one of those days I'm feeling blessed...

Usually we don't express happiness or gratitude... So here it goes. I feel so happy and thrilled whenever I realize I was meant to be an actor. Thank you, universe. Cheers :)

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2018

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Aug 2

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2018

Directors, please don't do this

[u/idontthink\_so](https://www.reddit.com/user/idontthink_so) Created a post where he reaches out to a girl he thinks is a good fit for the role he/she needs to fill for a short film they are making. The girl cut her hair, and this fellow felt it unprofessional on her part that she did this. Don't blame actors for chan…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2018

FINDING PURPOSE AND RELATIONSHIP IN A MONOLOGUE

Hi...some more acting advice from me, acting coach Winnie Hiller. Yesterday I posted about how to hone in on your objective in a scene and how to figure out what it is really about. This morning I watched a young actress’s video of a monologue she posted on this subreddit. She did a lovely job, but it was missing exact…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2018

Paid Demo Reels??? Do they actually work?

I've got a lack of real footage from short/student films that and I'm now in the typical actors dilemma of deciding whether it's time to pay a service to shoot some demo reel scenes for me. Does this actually help get auditions/agent attention? Will CDs see right through it? Are there any other (better) alternatives be…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2018

5 yr old daughter was cast in a large theater production. What's next?

My 5 year old daughter was cast in a traveling production of a Broadway play. She will be paid well for her work and has been told she has the option to apply for the local actors union. At her age are there benefits for drawbacks to being in a union? Should we hire her an agent? She has been in a performing art presch…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2018

A little confused on the whole you can only work on union films.

For example, can a SAG-AFTRA actor work on other union films, or does it have to be completely under SAG? Also, what union is in charge of movies such as disney? This really confuses me. Keep in mind I am very new to all of this show business stuff which further leads to my confusion. Any answers would help. Thank you…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2018

Agent submission question

A few months ago, I sent my stuff to a few agencies, and my number one said that they're not taking any people on right now. I already submitted to them once before that like a year ago, and they said they already had someone in my look and age range. If I submit a third time, will it look desperate? Needy? Will they j…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2018

Finally gonna look for an agency

Been wanting to be an actor my whole life, didn’t actually put my dreams into action til I was about 10. I’m now 17, and a senior in high school. I’ve been in multiple school plays, church plays, one student film for school, and a few skits for the broadcast club at school. I’ve been to one casting call, my first real…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2018

Biography Advice?

I was asked to teach a class through a local theater in my community and they asked for me to provide a bio. Specifically, they asked that I mention how I worked on a major feature film even though I only worked as extra and the film itself will not be released until next year (the production company is still using the…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2018

Rote Memorization vs Verb Focus

I'm reading Dee Canon's "In-Depth Acting", and in one of the chapters she keeps stating blatantly her opinion that rote memorization is bad for the actor, and does not allow for changing inflections if and when the director calls for so. She says, that once you have chosen an active/transitive verb for your beat, you s…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2018

what’s “natural talent”?

I’m a long time lurker here but in the last few days I’ve seen a few people talking about how you either ‘have the gift’ or don’t. I always thought it sounded kinda pretentious, no one comes out of the womb reciting Shakespearian monologues. and most actors will improve with practice. But I’ve been seeing this more and…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2018

Actors, please don't do this

Long story short: I'm currently in the casting process for a short film which I intend to shoot soon. While browsing casting sites, I found a girl that really fit the image I had in mind for one of the characters. She had long blonde hair. I contacted her, gave her details about the whole thing, told her the pay, and s…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2018

Kickstarting An Acting Career

Hey everyone, I'm a filmmaking student looking to gain a little bit of insight from the newcomer actors in this thread to help me with a little assignment I've need to finish. Essentially, I have to write a short essay on the roadblocks facing the beginner screen actor in 2018. I would love if you took a few minutes to…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2018

Differences between actor and principal role

I just landed my first ever principal role in a TV show, but I'm not quite sure what the differences in experience will be. I've done some one line actor roles, but this will be my first full scene. Are there any differences?

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2018

nyc actor new to LA, looking to meet up with some actors in the LA area.

30, chill, been doing this for a few years. couple agents, sag. would love to meet up with some actors on my level, or a rung above. network, learn more about the scene in LA, shoot some scenes together, etc. i write little shorts and have shot a few, trying to take it to the next level with better equipment. hit me up…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2018

?Seasoned Actors: How do you deal with fake people?

For those seasoned cats out there - how do you deal with the fakeness? I’ve met some really shallow folks as I’ve pursued this Ex. One girl completely ignores me in class when she sees me in a commercial she’s like omgggg!!!!! I saw you!!!! And her eyes get all glazed and she’s like who’s your agent?!!!!!!! Ex. Guy I k…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2018

New Actor

Hey everyone ! Im sure this question is asked a lot but I just moved to Los Angeles ( the valley if it matters) and I want to be an actor. I have little to no experience i took a few classes in college but had strict parents and couldn't do anything I wanted which ended up to me dropping out of college and leaving home…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jul 2018

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING - AUDITIONS, INTERVIEWS & YOUR REAL CHARACTER

As an acting coach, I teach that thinking the thoughts of your character is one of the most important aspects of a believable performance. You may not realize people can see what you are thinking, but they can. And the camera can see even more. By simply changing your thoughts you can become a completely different pers…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jul 2018

NEVER GIVE UP!

Hi...Winnie Hiller again. This kind of goes with my post from last night. I wrote it as a comment on a post this morning from someone who had a rough day and wanted to give other actors some much needed support. I hope the following will do the same: KEEP THE FAITH I had a dear friend who did Yiddish Theater in his you…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jul 2018

How to Improv?

Hey, guys! So I'm currently on my summer break from theatre school and have feeling a little bit uninspired... I've been wanting to "work on my craft" but I just don't know how. So my question is, how do you work on your craft on a hiatus like this? My school doesn't really tackle improv too much and I do feel that it…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jul 2018

Help a Noob Out

Hey everyone. I applied for about 20 roles on backstage two nights ago and now I have about 4 auditions coming up. I know I wont get all of them and maybe none but it's important to put myself out there and get some experience in somehow! I know almost nothing about how to audition. I have been searching the net but wo…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jul 2018

Becoming An Acting Coach Without Many Credits

I've been pondering the thought of starting up a coaching business for actors (strictly film actors) since it's something that I've done through the majority of my teens and early 20s. But I'm getting a case of imposter syndrome because I'm afraid no one will take me seriously because of my lack of big credits (I was i…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jul 2018

Advice Needed: Table Read Audition for Local Film Festival in Few Days ?

So in a couple days a local film festival is having auditions for their “table-read series”, in which the actors cast will do table reads of new screenplays before and during the actual film festival. Although this would not be a paid gig, it would provide me with the opportunity to read in front of local and non-local…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jul 2018

For actors in Berlin

Hey everyone, I'm about to move to Berlin, and I plan on shooting a couple of short films there. The production part is more low budgety, but everyone involved will get paid. The first one is called "Bottom Of The Ocean", and this is the WIP logline: After finding out she is seriously ill, a young wife seeks reassuranc…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jul 2018

Male Actor needed in Montreal!

I'm looking for a male actor (20-28 years old) living in Montreal, it's a short film about two exes who find themselves after not having seen each other for over a year. If you're interested, hit me up! I can send you my directorial work.

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jul 2018

Signing up with a starter agent? I need opinions on our interview.

Super new here! I have a few questions about an agent I just met yesterday. We got along great, he was open and told me directly that he was new and recently opened his agency. I was actually referred to him from another agent whose experienced. Long-story short, this new agent is actually training under the experience…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jul 2018

Empathy Intel Survey

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know of a survey that I am developing with my high school’s Intel Research Program. Currently, I am studying the correlation between theatrical participation and empathy levels through the use of three surveys. To collect data, I need a large sample of actors and non-actors. It wo…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jul 2018

How much can height help or hurt?

This post is out of pure curiosity, as I currently have no idea what I want to do with my life and the idea of acting just crossed my mind. I live in very close proximity to NYC if I ever decide to try it, which I'd assume is convenient in some capacity. Anyway, I'm 6'7", average/slender build. No worries at all about…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jul 2018

Acting Classes in London

Next summer, I am planning to stay in London for a month. Are there any acting classes there that I can take? I know there is a summer program at Guildhall and that the RADA offers intensives and adult classes, but is there anywhere else I should pop in and take a look at or just other places in the area I should come…