Acting forums, all in one place

19,648 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2018

Service where agents/managers/casting directors give feedback on your website?

I’ve been acting for 4-5 years, I’m on a gig right now, and I’m trying to double down on getting some representation when I return to NYC. I’m looking for place where I can pay to get some professional feedback on my website. I’m primarily an actor but I do a lot of other stuff. Anyone know a good, trustworthy, non sca…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2018

MFA Auditions

Hey folks, I did an AMA on MFA auditions last year and it got some good responses. I'm down to do another one this year if folks are interested. I know we're in mid-summer, but now was the time I started thinking about auditioning, so if you have any questions about the process, lemme know and I'll do my best to answer…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2018

Monologue question

What are your thoughts? I've been working on the "Maybe I'm not good enough" scene from La La Land just for myself as I like to continually learn new scenes, but I'm also getting ready to submit stuff to potential agents. Would this be too big a scene to show to potential agencies? I've always heard to not do scenes fr…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2018

YOURSELF - YOUR CHARACTER

“Just be yourself”. Has anyone ever said this to you after you auditioned or did a scene in class? I am an acting coach in Hollywood and help actors prepare for their auditions for film and TV roles. Often my new beginning students tell me they hear this phrase from directors or casting directors: “Relax, honey...just…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2018

Serious Acting Education for Beginners?

Dear people of Reddit! Please, forgive my bad grammar, English is not my native language. Obviously since I'm writing here I'm also an aspiring actress. I'm 21F from Europe and have been wanting to become an actress since I was a kid, however, coming from a small town there were literally never any auditions. I dropped…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2018

Jeff Seymour, 'The Real Life Actor'

I've been listening to some episodes of his podcast recently, and would love to hear what people on this subreddit have taken away from his philosophy, and if it has assisted anyone in landing auditions & roles.

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2018

Actors personalities and roles.

To me it's kinda common to se famous actors always have the same kind of roles in movies. "Always the bad guy, good guy and so on". Why do you think this is? Is it cause they have a look that suits that kind of role? or is it because it's similar to how they are in real life so they are REALLY good at making it real? G…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2018

Any actors in Oxford, UK?

I’m looking to start acting in Oxford and would be open to suggestions of what the community is like in the city and if it’s a good idea? I’m going to start working there soon so I’d like to start learning the craft in my spare time as it’s something I’ve always told myself I never had time for. Thank you :)

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2018

Americans Studying Abroad

Hello, I'm about to enter my last year for my theatre degree, I went to a university at first but transferred to a community college after I couldn't afford it anymore. About to finish the second year for my associate's in theatre and I was thinking of studying at a drama school or academy instead of going back to my o…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2018

ACTING - LESSON #1

I’m a Hollywood acting coach who works with both celebrities and newcomers. Since agents and casting directors often send me their completely inexperienced “discoveries”, to prepare them for an important audition, I often need to give them a lifetime of advice in an hour or two before an event that could change their l…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2018

“JUST BE YOURSELF”

I am an acting coach in Hollywood and help actors prepare for their auditions for film and TV roles, and my students tell me they hear this phrase from directors all the time, Quite frankly, it is the worse thing they can possibly say. “Relax, honey...just be yourself!” It makes me tense just reading it and I bet it do…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2018

Ideal schooling for an actor

If you had the option to either take acting classes in an acting school or a university, which one would you do? Which route do beginning actors or people still learning take do get everything they can out of schools? I ask because I'm going to college soon and I'm not sure if I should go to college for acting and get…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2018

How do you create your own content?

Hi everyone, how did you create your own content. Is it all volunteer based? If so,wouldnt the quality be poor? Ive seen some good films created by actors in my community and have messaged them . It seems most DOP or editors charge a fee, so how do you get around this (especially those who created their own content bef…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2018

Self Taping Alone

Hey everyone, So I recently moved to a new region of the country and got representation. Thing is, I don't know anyone here. Also I'm not in a city that has many actors. I just got a self tape request for a commercial and I wont need a reader for this one but they do need me to slate and then zoom out to a full body sh…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2018

Student Films

Hi! I'm a recent highschool graduate from San Diego, and need to get more film credits onto my resume. I was considering emailing my information (Headshot, Resume) to the film departments of SDSU, UCSD, and USD so that they'd have me on file in case they need an actor in the future. Has anyone done this before? I know…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2018

IMDb

I had first film project, and my director created IMDb and added my name on it(look like created my profile). Should I make my own account and create my profile better? How to add another work if I get another gig in future? I really have no idea in these stuff. Still not sure how this works.

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2018

Voice Actors Needed!

Hello, would you be interested in playing a voice role for a project ? It’s a non profit project so you won’t be paid but it’s plain and simple and you will be credited! Please PM me if interested or comment and I’ll reach out!

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2018

Screen Combat Course Feedback

I'm a martial arts instructor and I'm thinking about doing a 6 week course in screen combat for aspiring actors. I'd like to get some feedback from any aspiring actors about my course content. Course curriculum \> safety, breakfalling and taking hits safely \> camera angles and positioning - being in the right place at…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2018

How do you practice facial expressions?

Not an actor. But is there any actors reference, guide, or youtube videos that shows different facial expressions? Haven't found anything good yet.

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2018

What questions would you ask an experienced Actor or Producer

Hey So glad I found this sub, I have a side business where I interview successful people. I have been blessed that a few actors, producers and celebrities have agreed to interviews. Other than being a fan of the work I'm a complete noob to the industry. What questions would you ask these people? My focus on success and…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2018

“JUST BE YOURSELF!”

We actors hear this phrase from directors all the time, and quite frankly, it is the worse thing they can possibly say. “Relax, honey...just be yourself!” It makes me tense just reading it and I bet it does the same thing to you. Why? The answer is very simple... First of all, my goal is to be my character...not “mysel…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2018

Help me understand why people ask, "Am I too old to be an actor?"

Some form of this question is asked here very often. I've seen people in their teens ask if they're too old to start, which seems crazy to me but I guess it's all in your perspective. If you're worried about possibly being too old to begin training or pursuing acting as a career, what's your greatest concern? That you'…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2018

Play Recommendations Help

Hello fellow actors, I am an emerging artist that is in the process of trying to build a theatre company. However, I am looking to fill up one more slot in my season. There are two actors who I think have really good chemistry on stage and I really want to work with the both of them. Long story short, I am looking for…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2018

How to become an actress?

I'm a 22 year old European girl and I will be getting my business degree next year! I'm supposed to start looking for a "normal" job (i.e. business, marketing,..), but I can't help to shake off the feeling that I've given up on my lifelong (Hollywood) acting dream. Or rather, that I have never even tried to pursue it.…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2018

Ageism in Acting/Hollywood Studios?

Is Ageism prevalent in Hollywood and in the acting studios in general? I'm a 26 year old minority man trying to get a start in Hollywood. It's a career change. I live in Los Angeles so its not a big time move for me. LA is home. But I'm worried given my age and minority status I'll have limited opportunities. Also, as…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2018

LA vs NY for film/tv

Hey guys, first post on here. Might be a long one, so bear with me here. I'm a SAG-Aftra actor living on the East Coast in a decent film market. There is a good amount of legitimate work here, lots of big movies and the occasional TV show, but I am looking to make the next step. I'm 26, have been acting for about 5 yea…

Backstage

Backstage · 19 Jul 2018

Film Festivals

Film Festivals .......There must be hundreds going on during a course of a month, I see many actors (mostly non-union and working free of charge) posting how they were nominated or picked up an honorable mention for this film or that short but my question is does this actually do...

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2018

Actor Reel Shoot?

Hello. Is their any good studios to record a demo reel in the Bay Area? I’m having trouble finding some! Anything helps. Thanks.

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2018

Boundaries in acting

I'm a semi-cosplayer who is freshly on the way to grasping the basics of theatrical acting to enhance my character in cosplay, & during my interactions with my local cosplay community I'd casually inject traits & utilize the character's status (i.e: a feudal lord) to humourously get along with others & in turn friends…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2018

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Jul 19

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2018

method acting

First of all, I'm no professional actor, but it has been a hell of a year for me, and i gotta say, it has been quite entertaining. Method acting irl is a real hoot. Although i was quite disappointed. People always mistake me for the character that i play. This journey will definitely be memorable and insightful. I lean…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2018

Opinions on Professionalism

Hey fellow actors, I just need a small place to vent a situation that happened this past weekend. I was recently in a musical that ran over the month of June. Our lead also runs his own small musical production company and asked the cast if any of us were interested in auditioning for his upcoming production, which he'…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2018

Submissions On Casting Frontier/Actors Access/Backstage Via Agents

So, when I signed with an agent a few years back, I was told that my accounts with Actor's Access, Backstage, Showfax, etc. would all become free via the agency. I know my agent can submit me freely via those, but the only thing I seem to not have to pay for is my Showfax for getting sides. Is there any way I can submi…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2018

Macbeth's Soliloquy

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3p2HnNicug](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3p2HnNicug) A video comparing the performances of different actors performing the 'Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow' monologue from William Shakespeare's Macbeth. I think Ian McKellen and Joseph Millson had the best portrayals, however I r…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2018

Would Love to Follow Reddit Actors on Social Media...

But I'm not sure if this is a thing? I would like to show my support for fellow Redditors in the business even when I'm not on Reddit, and I think it'd be a great way for the community to become even stronger. I'm an actress in Phoenix, AZ, and one tip I picked up from a Marketing for Actors workshop was forming social…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2018

How long do I have to work tech before I'm accepted? Am I being taken advantage of?

Hi guys. I've been trying to get immersed in my local theater community. There are two theater companies in my local area and they both put on a show about every 2 months. I try to audition for every show I can, and have been doing this for about a year and a half. It seems that these shows always cast the same few peo…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2018

Want to pursue acting in Hollywood

I’m going to get straight to the point. I want to move to Hollywood, LA to pursue acting. I have no plan, no money, just a little bit of natural talent and strong will. Is it unrealistic? Of course it is but what would you do?

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2018

How did you get your agent?

Just curious to hear peoples stories. Some agents find me on LA casting, some from industry referrals, and some from when I self submit. How did you find yours?

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2018

What if you're interested in the EU film industry?

The American market seems more "open" - at least from what I read here... Some of my favourite films would be Kieslowski's "Three Colours trilogy", Polanski's "Venus in Fur". Also "The Lobster", "La Vie d' Adele" and such. I adored "Café de Flore" (I think that it was made in France and Canada). Some more general examp…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jul 2018

Man, some Casting Directors really got some nerve

Now I understand that in the Acting industry you’ll hear a lot of No’s after auditioning but when on an actor website, why would a casting director reach out to you personally (without self submission) to invite you to come somewhere and Audition only to reject you afterwards? I don’t take rejection personally, I usual…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jul 2018

Man, some Casting Directors really got nerve RANT

Now I understand that in this industry you’ll hear a lot of No’s after auditioning but when on an actor website, why would a casting director reach out to you personally (no self submission) to invite you to come somewhere and Audition only to reject you afterwards? I don’t take rejection personally, I usually just bru…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jul 2018

Good classes in Arizona?

Looking for good classes in az if yu know of any please recommend them :)

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 17 Jul 2018

I would love to act, BUT.....

I would love to act, but I don’t have an agent. I would love to act, but I’m not in SAG. I would love to act, but I’m broke. I would love to act, but I’m working nine-to-five. I would love to act, but everything is precast. I would love to act, but my agent never sends me out.  Did you get a pretty volatile list of neg…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2018

When did you know if this was a career or a hobby for you ?

17F here, no experience, no training, a newbie in every sense of the word when it comes to acting. My question to you is when did you know if acting was a career choice or a side hobby? How did you make that decision? I'm entering my senior year of high school and I'm conflicted. I know that just because I have an admi…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2018

First audition advice

Hey guys. I've recently started looking for ways to get into acting at the ripe old age of 28. I've done some modelling years ago and some very casual acting back in high school, but I basically have no experience or knowledge of the business beyond what I've been able to pick up by lurking around here. So now a local…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2018

Castittalent.com

Hi does anyone have experience of this casting site? I am a British working actress, and I was invited to submit an audition by a legit Casting Director using this platform and signed up as a free user. Since then I created a profile and I have to pay to use it if I want to submit to any of the other castings but the c…