Acting forums, all in one place

19,649 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Aug 2018

Getting representation through a "modelling & acting agency"?

as someone who is sort of ugly (not like rocky dennis but far from model quality) is trying to get representation through a modelling and acting agency a stupid idea? I'd like to be going on more auditions than I currently am and they obviously get the "inside" stuff. up until now i've only been going based on what I c…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 10 Aug 2018

Aspiring actors collaboration

Hi, my name is Maria , I am a fitness model and aspiring actress. im looking for another aspiring actor to practice script with , collaborate and create content. This would be a fun collaboration and cross promotion. Looking forward to hearing back from you!!

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Aug 2018

The Kindness in this Industry

You know, everyone always talks about how ruthless and cutthroat this industry is and how hard it is for new actors to get in but, on some fronts, I have to disagree. Today, I had a masterclass with Carrie McNulty (She's a former professional actor and now is an educator and director) and the one thing I have to give t…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Aug 2018

Is this in bad taste?

Hey y’all, There’s a very small community theatre company in my state producing The Who’s Tommy. They were in need of guys, so they asked my theatre program’s director for actors, and my director gave them my name. They have reached out to me, and I told them I would be interested if it would work out with my already i…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Aug 2018

MONOLOGUES? - THERE’S NO SUCH THING!

Hi, this is Winnie Hiller. I’m an acting coach in LA and have been posting lots of acting lessons here. Check them out if you wish. I just got a couple questions about monologues today in private messages, so I thought I should share about this interesting form of acting. Monologues can be an important tool for auditio…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Aug 2018

Any good acting / acting biz podcasts?

I like to listen to podcasts during car rides. Recently it struck me that there are probably good podcasters in the acting space, so I took a look around on Pocket Casts. There are podcasters, but I'm not sure if any of them are good. Do you listen to any? Recommendations would be appreciated!

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Aug 2018

Is there anyone else who doesn’t like Meisner classes?

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s an important class but I just don’t like how it’s been taught to me and I’ve had 3 different teachers. Not a debate, I’m just curious since everyone one of my actor friends seem to like it so much for some reason.

Backstage

Backstage · 9 Aug 2018

I applied for a role, now what?

Hello all! Sorry if this is a naive or duplicate post, I’m really new to backstage and just need some pointers on how it works. I’m very new to acting and I’m trying to get small auditions for experience and practice (and who knows, maybe I’ll impress someone!) I submitted...

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Aug 2018

Looking to try and take up local theatre a hobby

Hi all — First off I want to say I might have totally the wrong sub here and if I do, can you let me know where else to go??? Honestly just looking for some advice. I am F 26. I would like any help available on beginning a new hobby. My husband is in dental school and it takes up close to 90% of his time. I have no com…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Aug 2018

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Aug 9

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Aug 2018

what is appropriate conversation on set?

I am wondering what is appropriate convo on set. I was on a few ones where we often would crack sex jokes. Interestingly, initiated almost always by female actors. Apparently, my union told when I first joined as part of their orientation for other union actors in the room, that making sex jokes would be considered inn…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Aug 2018

Going to my first “callback” ever, don’t have my resume or headshot on my person.

Submitted for a breakdown through ActorsAccess. They asked for a video audition, so I submitted that. They asked me to come in for an in-person “callback,” but I just ran out the door to get to class without printing both real quick. I’m so flustered right now. I have absolutely no way of getting my hands on the resume…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Aug 2018

Serious question about getting started...

So I'll be honest I dont know the first thing about getting started and I have a lot of questions but the main ones bugging me right now are 1. How do actors find casting calls? 2. How do they send in videos? Like how'd they know where to send them and when they are reading for a character how do they get the script fo…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Aug 2018

SM looking for help to help an actor

Hi actors, I’m a Stage Manager trying to help an actress in crisis and wasn’t sure where else to post this. Some background: We’re on a two hander show with a small team (2 actors, me, and the producer in terms of everyday staff) in a city none of us are from. The show is fairly full on and requires a lot of emotional…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Aug 2018

On set for my first paid acting gig!

I just wanted to share my happiness with everyone. I got cast as an extra in a local commercial and I'm gonna get paid!!!! This is a big deal for me because one of my goals this year was to become a real professional actor. And it's finally happening. My next goal is to get a lead role in something.

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Aug 2018

ACTING CLASS VS PRIVATE COACHING

I saw a question here asking about how actors learn in private lessons. They mentioned that acting is most often done with other people and that doing scenes with your teacher (who must later critique you) could be awkward. They asked, “How do you learn in a private lesson?” I think it is a good question and worthy of…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Aug 2018

Why do most period pieces just reuse British actors?

I’ve been told my casting type is historical ingenue, but when you look at period pieces the actors are majority British and I’m American. Even ones that take place in America. The actresses who get the types of roles I could see myself in are Keira Knightly and Saoise Ronan, but you never really see Americans play Bri…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Aug 2018

Super confused about SAG-AFTRA P&H

Hi. I worked as a principal actor on a union movie this summer and got union eligibility. I am not a SAG-AFTRA member, but I am now officially eligible. My paychecks say that a couple hundred dollars were put into SAG P&H. I know that this is Pension & Health, and I know that a certain percentage of earnings are automa…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Aug 2018

Headshot photographer William David (Act4ward) caution

Hello. I'm an ex-actor from the UK and was approached by William David through the StarNow website some years ago, having just turned 16 at the time. He offered me free headshots as he explained that he was building a new website, so this would benefit us both. The shoot itself started well, but he continued to ask me…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Aug 2018

Can you work on Non-Union projects as a Sag-Aftra OK 30?

Hi Reddit, So, I was a child actor and then stopped for six years to go to college. I have picked up the business again and was curious about my SAG-Aftra status. I called SAG and they said I can work on Union projects since I am under OK-30 (I can book a Union job, but within 30 days of the Union project submission, I…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Aug 2018

Acting at 6'8"?

Yeah, yeah... "go grab my rebound instead" But on a serious note, I feel like i could never become a real working actor because I'm way too tall for 99% of roles and I feel like no directors would pick me for any roles no matter how talented I may be. What do you guys think?

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Aug 2018

Experiences of cast members sucking up and networking on set?

What is the difference between sucking up and networking on set? I had a paid short a few weeks ago. Basically, though nobody there is famous, I felt some of the actors were trying hard to "talk to impress" rather than to build connection. When two more experienced actors with great agencies started talking of their bo…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Aug 2018

What are some good acting tips?

I saw someone in the comments of a post the other day giving advice to an actor that often gets nervous while performing. They said "Your nervousness while performing comes out of your own feel of failure. Is this what your character is thinking about?" I'm finding this really useful in helping me with my own nervousne…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Aug 2018

Scam heads-up

I just wanted to keep this info in circulation because the people behind this scam keep changing company names and reaching out to actors on casting sites, often Backstage, who to their credit is doing what they can to play whack-a-mole with the scammers. --- The way the scam works is you'll get a cold contact from a p…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Aug 2018

Finished filming my first role, how should I put it on my resume?

And should even I do it now, or wait the like 6 months until it's actually out so casting can actually look me up? If I should wait then the rest of my questions don't need to be read. As well, should I go ahead and start an imdb or something to make it legit? The role was a killer in a low budget tv series documentary…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Aug 2018

How to find local actors?

I getting into make short films and music videos. I live in the DC area, but there are ZERO actors or talented people here. Whats a good resource/tip to find actors and set up auditions? Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Aug 2018

Best save you've seen in a production?

I messed up on stage on Sunday, but made an alright save. It got me wondering, what's the best save you've had or seen in a production you've been in?

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Aug 2018

Looking for Female Voice Actresses (PAID)

I'm currently working on a horror movie project and I'm seeking out a female voice actor to fill a role for a supporting character. Movie Title: Clownhouse 3 https://preview.redd.it/kxyvx3lbrqe11.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=7723bf3fc3d39bd8ac4d5ddb385079c807a1796e Budget: $20 Character: Melissa: Personality:…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 6 Aug 2018

Recommend a photographer

Hi everyone.yes, I know that they are readily available in droves, but I am seeking someone who can capture CHARACTER!!!!I see so many pix , so many smiles, so many looks even without smiles, but their essence isn't visible. IF you understand what I am asking for I would appreciate a referral and please to all other ph…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2018

If you haven’t yet, pick up An Actor’s Life by Jenna Fischer

I’m nowhere near close to finishing this book (I just picked it up today), but it’s a very amazing guide which shows the steps Jenna took in her acting journey as well as tips as we blaze our own trails. Keep on auditioning and happy reading!

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2018

Why do major A-list actors or rising stars work in film rather than tv?

I've noticed many a-listers or rising stars work mostly in film rather than tv. Why is that? I'm thinking it is because the characters are more fleshed out in a movie and also the scenes are more focused on a small group of actors, which gives more attention to them? Another I can think of is that the actors are more i…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2018

Non-actor with a casting interview today

Hello r/acting! I wanted to just pop in here with a throwaway. I am a business owner that got approached by a very large tech company for their next national TV ad campaign. They found me online and I fit the type of person they are looking for for this campaign and how I would use their products in my day to day life.…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2018

Question about moving to London from US to get experience

Hey all, been lurking here for a while, and have loved all the advice I've read! I've got an interesting situation, and wanted to see what you all thought. It's a long post, so I appreciate your patience if you take the time to read it! I recently started acting and it's something I want to take on seriously. I'm 25 y.…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2018

Education

Being 25 years old now. Filtering through career options and passions is something everyone goes through. Having experience in various fields, I’ve always wanted to be an entertainer. I use to be a damn good DJ after all. I have a passion for acting, being on set and creating magic moments. One obviously needs training…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2018

BEING AN ACTOR - DREAMS VS REALITY

“I’ve always dreamed of being an actor, but I have zero experience.” Boy do I see this a lot on this sub. It tells me that these people need a little education into what it actually means to be an actor. If someone has always dreamed of being a fireman but has never stood next to a burning building, how can they possib…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2018

Subscription-based actor services

I've seen people on Reddit bag on [Voices.com](https://Voices.com), claiming it's a ripoff. But what of some of the other services out there, like [Backstage.com](https://Backstage.com), or [WeRehearse.com/WeAudition.com](https://WeRehearse.com/WeAudition.com)? Are there any services out there that're actually worthwhi…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2018

Should I not audition more until I finished my training?

Guys, I have been off and on acting in some form since 2002. I only really got some kind of definite real training starting in 2014..I'm in my late 30s now. I have taken acting classes in community college, some in workshops, some in high school but nothing to really form me until recently. I'm finally taking my dance…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2018

Male theater actors under 5'10 do you find it hard to land leading roles?

The minute I am at call backs for any show and I see someone who is at least 5'10 I know for damn sure they're probably getting the leading role. The only times I've ever landed a leading role is when we were all roughly the same height or I was about an inch taller than everyone else. Is height really that big a facto…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2018

Headshots for LA actors (4 looks for $200) for episodic season

Hey fellow actors! I'm also a photographer, and I'm offering headshots for any actors in LA. I know headshots can break the bank, so I'm offering 4 looks for $200 for my fellow actors before episodic season ramps up. [https://www.robertleeheadshots.com/](https://www.robertleeheadshots.com/) I don't want to come off Cra…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2018

What Are You Working On? - Aug 6

Let everyone know what you're working on right now. Post links to webseries, plays, clips, anything you want. Promote your own work and see what everyone else is doing. Even if you just had a great audition, let us know about it.

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2018

Afraid someone might take my stage name

I'm thinking of using a stage name but I'm afraid someone might take it if they enter SAG before I do. Do you think I should just use my real name until I enter SAG which is when I can change it?

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Aug 2018

ACTING - WHAT IS TALENT?

This is a question I saw here recently. What I have learned as an acting coach, teaching young beginners as well as seasoned professionals, both in NYC and LA for the past 35 years, is this: Certain people have qualities that make acting truthfully, easier. A vivid imagination is so important. A fascination with humani…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Aug 2018

Do actors really get paid this much?

These are random thoughts... but I was looking up how much Game of Thrones actor/actresses get paid and holy crap, the main characters get paid around 500,000 per episode to over a million. That's crazy! But not in a bad way. Acting is something I'm interested in but I never acted and my experience is 0. I'm active dut…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Aug 2018

Looking for Actor's

Hey actor's I am making a student film this coming October, it is unfortunately an unpaid position because we are broke. It's a credited part though, and it's one of our premiere spots. If you need it we can squeeze 20$ out of our budget, but anyone interested in Albuquerque would be incredibly appreciated, here is the…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Aug 2018

Overcoming fear - Or how to stop thinking about it and start doing it

So, unlike most of you fine folks I have precisely no acting experience (barring a single line in a year eight school play, and a tanked summer school showcase in which I froze) but I want to. Like, really want to. I'm over thirty, not conventionally attractive, and have no illusions about being a leading lady, or even…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Aug 2018

German Actors

Hey guys, I was wondering if there are any german actors out there, and how the scene is? As a bonus, are there any non-german actors working/auditioning in Germany?