Acting forums, all in one place

19,649 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jul 2018

I found a method to test how far my acting skills have come...

I managed to convince my sister that 1) people have lived in Antarctica for thousands of years, and that 2) the natives are immune to the harsh weather conditions, so they can wear shorts and a t-shirt in minus 40 degrees Celsius :D I somehow managed to keep a straight face throughout this conversation, and now she gen…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jul 2018

Just a note to say it’s gonna be okay

Hey, I’ve been a lurker on here for a while and just wanted to send a virtual hug to anyone who needs it because this industry is...well, fill in the blank. I’ve been having an extra tough day (well, couple of years in all honesty) and just thought others might be also. Even though I type this with tears, I know this t…

Backstage

Backstage · 29 Jul 2018

Which Meisner class in LA is best?

Does anyone have any idea at all which is better between Baron Brown, Ruskin, Aldersen or Dvorak? They all seem to have pretty good reviews. Has anyone been?

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jul 2018

What do you think about these acting schools in Cali?

What is your thought on Lee Strasberg school? It's really famous and I've heard good things. John Ruskin school. I've heard that some experienced actors go here but it's more like an actors therapy group while not learning too much about Meisner There's the Actors Bootcamp which is a very common generic name, but I hea…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jul 2018

Need advice

I am working on a student film. The genre is action/thriller. I am playing an antagonist! We are about to shoot the climax sequence, where I would be bashed by the protagonist. The director wants to shoot a fight scene between the two of us. The shoot is day after tomorrow. And I am very nervous about it. I need some s…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jul 2018

[HELP] Actor at Drama School

Hey friends hope you’re all doing great! I have a question. I’m 2 years into drama school and I also self produce comedy sketches and other videos on platforms like YouTube and Instagram. I have built up a social following and am scared that this may hinder my chances at certain roles. I have spoken to my teachers who…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jul 2018

Dear Actor:

When applying for a role whether it's acting or modeling, the minimum you need is a headshot. If you apply for a role, especially from a casting notice, with a selfie, or a candid shot and think this is okay. You are mistaken. These are the first ones I throw into the garbage. If you say nothing and just send a link. N…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jul 2018

MAKING FACES WON’T MAKE IT

I am fairly new to Reddit (24 days today). I’m a personal acting coach Mon. -Fri. on set of a network crime drama. On the weekends I try to make time for some up-and-coming young actors. But I was looking for a way to keep busy on set between camera set ups and other people’s coverage. We are often there 12-16 hours a…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jul 2018

starting acting as a career

disclaimer, i am new to reddit and to how it works. ;) hi! im going to call myself ender. the thing is, i want to be an actress. full time, hollywood even. i know its tough, i know its hard as heck, i know its almost impossible. but still. i enjoy and love acting, always did, always will. i acted in school plays and so…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jul 2018

There Are No Stupid Questions - Jul 28

Please feel free to ask any question at all related to acting, no matter how simple. There will be no judgements on questions posted here. Everyone starts somewhere. So ask away!

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jul 2018

Atlanta or LA?

Hey doods. Currently out in LA strugglin. I am taking acting classes and looking forward to doing some Shakespeare in the next month or so. I have made a fee connections, but am seriously struggling. I have to work so much just to make ends meet, and I have to drive what seems like forever to get to auditions (if i eve…

Backstage

Backstage · 27 Jul 2018

What do you think about my acting?

Hi everybody!! Im a begginer in the beautiful world of acting,and i would like to know what do you think about my performance on this monologue written by joseph arnone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sv1QjRV9wg&t=7s i would aprecciate opinions,tips and advices!! (Im spanish,so i would appreciate also tips about my e…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jul 2018

How can I politely tell my boss I have to pick the audition over work?

I live in Los Angeles. My manager has usually been pretty flexible with my auditions, but no one was able to take my shift and my manager needs help during this particular shift. If it was a lower budget project I wouldn’t have a problem asking for a time change, but this is an audition for a really big TV show. I have…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jul 2018

Want to start

I’m an attorney with a passion for acting. I realize it’s quite logical for someone in my position to be interested in acting (eg influencing a jury is acting mostly), but I think performing as a character or someone other than myself is really my calling. It’s so much tougher being myself in front of an audience rathe…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jul 2018

My Rant...Tongue and Cheek.?.

In the not so distant future, I think we as actors could see the old studio contract (or a version of it) come back into existence.. An actor is paid by insert platform, "Netflix" annually with health benefits and pension and agreed to do so many projects throughout the year and can be loaned out to other platforms whe…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jul 2018

ACTING - LESSON #2

Hello! This is Winnie Hiller. I’m a Hollywood acting coach, working on writing a book for actors who need to learn the basics. Agents and managers often send me young actors (many with no previous training) to coach just before their auditions for film and tv roles. I have learned what works in coaxing out a believable…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jul 2018

The Young Americans College of the Performing Arts?

Hi guys, I don't know much about US schools or musical theatre so I'm seeking some advice; a friend of mine (UK based) was just accepted onto this Young American's 9 month program in Corona, LA; when he originally submitted his audition tape he was much more interested in going into teaching musical theatre and thought…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jul 2018

Neat except from unaired interview

I was really excited to share an interview with an actor that I felt shared tons of neat insights. The actor really turned negative and despite my best effort I had to basically say, I might be a nothing to you, but I'm not a doormat. (let's leave it at that). Here is an excerpt that I thought was cool; Also, it's more…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jul 2018

Place for industry people to critique your website?

Hi all! I’m an actor based in NY who spends way too much time on his website. I was wondering if anyone knows a place or site or service where a CD or manager or agent can give you feedback. Any and all leads encouraged! Thanks! -rr

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jul 2018

Why Do You Like LA/NY?

If you're an LA/NY native this doesn't apply to you. This topic is directed towards those who packed their bags and moved from out of state. For those of you who made the big move to two of the biggest markets for actors, do you enjoy living there? Does the question of "*this is where I plan on living the rest of my li…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jul 2018

Communicative Drama Games

Studying Theatre and Drama in College and one of my assignments is to plan a workshop with a specific takeaway Theme. My title / Theme is "Communication: The Power and Place of Words". Just wondering if anyone has some suggestions for drama games specifically orientated around Communicative / Persuasive / Debate Techni…

Backstage

Backstage · 26 Jul 2018

Profile

Tried to post my information the system will not accept my information from another web site (voice123) I have demos there and all my basic who what and where.

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jul 2018

A place to get answers.

I have posted this on a couple of comments threads already but might as well share it to everyone. There is a Facebook group called talent managers for actors. It has dozens of managers, casting directors and agents who want to be accessible for actors. It was created because a group of managers noticed that there was…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jul 2018

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Jul 26

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jul 2018

Exclusive Ticket Deal and Opportunity for Reddit Actors!

Hey reddit actors! I am a Programming Fellow at HERE, a non-profit off-off Broadway theatre in SoHo. I’d like to offer a couple special deals to our current show Symphonie Fantastique, by the legendary puppeteer Basil Twist, recipient of the MacArthur Award. The show is a super unique performance that is basically unde…

Backstage

Backstage · 25 Jul 2018

Rate of Response for Casting Applications?

hey everyone! i recently joined this website this week - i've been applying to gigs nonstop. i want to be realistic about my qualifications, so its been mostly background work. i'm super eager to work, however of the 27 gigs i've applied to so far, i've only heard back from...

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2018

KNOW WHAT YOU’VE GOT TO SELL!

Today I was giving a character actor some advice, and I thought there might be some others here that could benefit from it. As actors you are both the salesman and the product. Many of you are going door to door, asking people to buy, and you don’t even know what you’ve got in your suitcase. If you want to be cast in m…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2018

Had my first audition, didn’t go as expected...

Small local theatre. Nerves got the best of me. I didn’t do as well as I could’ve. Got some lines mixed up... Afterwards they told me to do over some lines but in a southern accent. I did the best I could. I’m not going to kick myself in the butt for it, it’s all in the past now. I’m just grateful for the learning expe…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2018

Can I become an actor

I was in plays and a theatre school when I was younger, I attended various auditions in London because I had some agent linked to my theatre school, and I had an acting teacher that help me sit graded exams in Lambda, I reached grade 7, however now I don’t go to college and haven’t done any of that stuff anymore, I was…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2018

AUDITION NERVES

Hi...it’s Winnie Hiller. I’m an acting coach in LA and though I work with a celebrity actor everyday on set, I like to coach and give advice to young actors who are new in the business, too. Yesterday I read a post here by a girl who had an audition that she felt didn’t go as planned. Nerves got the better of her, and…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2018

Book recommendation: The Actor's Life: A Survival Guide by Jenna Fischer

This is more a reminder for a lot of long time subscribers to r/acting, but for any newer actors who haven't been here a long time: First of all, read the sidebar. If you did, you'd see Jenna Fischer's book in the recommended reading. I'm almost finished and I cannot recommend it enough. It is the most definitive guide…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2018

Short males: does your height make it harder for you to get in the door?

I’m 5’7. And please don’t bring up Tom Cruise. I’ve been the lead in dozens of films, all non paying low quality and have an agent, and I still find I can only get in the room on student films and lower quality projects. I’ve dropped thousands of dollars on training and produce my own content with a group of like minde…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2018

Need help on what to do

Hi, first of all I’m 18 years old I just graduated from HS and I’m going to start college next month I’m going to study system engineering, but, I have ALWAYS being interested to be an actor, to be honest I don’t want to go to college and study “Film & Arts” (I don’t really know how is the career for acting called in E…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2018

can you have multiple theatrical agents submit you nationally?

i'm going to be asking a lot of questions, because I'm trying to understand how to move forward in this industry, and industry seems to not give clear answers on these questions, or everybody's answers are different, or their personal egos get in the way of giving honest answers, so I think this place is the best place…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2018

CASTING ULB FEATURE FILM - TRUST FALL

Hey guys, I thought I would post an audition notice where the actors are. **TRUST FALL** **Feature Film** | **Non-Union** | Starts: **Sep 1, 2018** (flexible)| Filming in: **Orange,** **California,** **United States** ROMANCE/THRILLER - A homeless man saves an abused woman's life and they fall in love. They realize tha…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2018

did anybody on here move to LA knowing nobody?

i'm at a point in my life where I either go full-force into pursuing acting, or do something else entirely, because i'm not really on the same page with any of my friends anymore, as a result of pursuing acting in NYC where most of my friends are in other industries, work opposite schedules, etc. i'd like to be around…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2018

TVI actors studio in LA, plus bonus question

Thinking about doing TVI's 5 day intensive in LA. Has anyone done it or heard anything about it from friends? I don't live there but I can make the drive pretty easily, just wondering if it's worth it. Bonus question: I was in a pretty big commercial but only had one non speaking scene that lasted maybe 5 seconds, but…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2018

Why do some agents rep mediocore actors?

This isnt meant to be rude but rather a judgment of audition tapes I have seen. I probably have managed to see over a hundred actors from well known agencies (found the agents video channel) . Just wanted to check out the competition. I was a little shocked. Some of these agents or managers are big names and the tapes…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2018

Stand Out

Hey guys i'm just a kid, who's trying to start an app in a program Im in, If your an amateur actor or someone who wants to act please share this survey! I need a-lot of responses for statistics I only have 10. and I need then ASAP so can you guys do me a solid please!!!! [https://goo.gl/forms/ajcgXci3S7RCHfO72](https:/…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2018

Full script memorization tips?

I got cast (yay!), but I haven’t really done any acting for the past few years. How do y’all memorize on your own?

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2018

As an aspire actor, should I keep a public Instagram?

Should I keep a public Instagram to network with people and to use as a sort of portfolio? I havnt done any professional work yet, I'm still in school getting my associate in fine arts. Is it a good idea to go ahead and have an Instagram or some other social media to upload my work to and to network on?

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2018

I hate still photos but am working towards being a film actress.

I recently did headshots and it reminded me just how much I hate taking pictures of myself. It’s crazy because I don’t mind videos of me even though they aren’t always flattering but I always hate taking pictures. Does anyone else ever feel this way? One of the things I’m doing to get over this is taking more pictures/…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2018

Canadian actor looking for help!

Hey! Wondering if it's worth it to move to los angeles to pursue tv acting or to stay in vancouver/toronto. If so is there a way for a canadian actor to stay in the United States and work as an actor?? Thank you!

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2018

Gonna join an acting class

I have always wanted to be an actor however I have social anxiety and I’m going to try joining an acting class to get over it, does anyone have any tips for someone going to their first acting class?