Acting forums, all in one place

19,654 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2019

I want to be an actor but...

Since I fell in love with films I've always wanted to be an actor. I recently started going for auditions and when I'm acting in the audition it doesn't feel like I will love acting. Then I watch a film again and the desire to act comes back. Does anybody feel the same way. Is it something that's normal or should I see…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2019

A Comprehensive Guide to Acting Pt. 1

So, let me preface this by saying that I am by no means a veteran of this industry. I have worked in the theatrical world for over a decade and am a newcomer to the film industry. I have found some success in both acting worlds. I'm writing this because I've become a little bit annoyed by the overwhelming majority of p…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2019

I made a chrome extension for LaCasting filtering

First I am a growing actor like you all. This is not some sort of hustle. I want to share. And network...I am an introvert and this is a small token I can use to help people remember me. So , full disclosure there. Also, If you live near Silver Lake, maybe we can be self tape reading partners, I am looking for a networ…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2019

Looking for an acting job

I’ve always wanted to be an actress. In college I took some acting classes and loved it. I’m a 20 (soon to be 21) year old female. I don’t know how to start acting? (I live in Long Island). Do I go to the city to open casting calls? Are there legit websites I can use? How do I find an agent? I want to make sure things…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2019

Need advice on how to even get the oppurtunity to pursue a career in acting.

So quick background, I'm from Belgium, and I'm going to be studying Computer Science in the US. However, my biggest dream isn't to be a software engineer, but to become an actor. But because of the fact that I'm from Belgium, it brings up some issues, logistic wise. The only way I'd be able to go to the US is by going…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2019

Can a teen audition with an older mans monologue?

I have an audition for drama school coming up and we have to do a minuet long monologue. I picked the dad speech from “Call Me By Your Name”. I’m 19 and the actor appears to be in his 40s/50s. I just found it on the internet and already memorized it, but friends are saying to find a different monologue because Im not a…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2019

IMDbPro

What are your thoughts on the necessity of IMDbPro for those in the Tv/Film industry and at what point of ones career, if any, should an actor invest in a subscription?

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2019

Always wanted to be an actor.

So, like the title says, I’ve always wanted to be an actor. For years I’ve been self conscious not just with friends or people that are rude to me in general, but with family too. I know what you guys are gonna say, to just not think about them or just ignore what they say n stuff but that doesent work. I’m not sure if…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2019

SAG UNION: INTERNATIONAL ACTORS

Hello, Its known that its much harder for international actors to become part of the SAG union, can somebody please provide me with ways an international actor can gain their SAG card. Thanks

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2019

Figuring out where to move

When I graduated from college in 2016, my immediate goal was to save up a nest egg and move to a city with a large audition marker within a year. Of course, life happened and I diverged from that path. I've been working as an actor/educator for a children's theatre company for the last couple of years, and I also did a…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jul 2019

What is the greatest direction you have received as an actor?

I am an aspiring film writer/director and I have recently become interested into the acting process. In the past it was something that intimidated me but I have become extremely excited about the collaborative nature of every aspect of filmmaking and I was curious to hear from actors what the best direction they have r…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jul 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Jul 18

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jul 2019

Has Anyone Ever Benefited from Doing Background Acting for Free?

Obviously, I'm not going to do extra work for one of the big studios, but there are a lot of student projects/no budget films that need background actors. Initially, I thought that this might be a good method for getting to know filmmakers who might want to collaborate in the future, but mostly the background actors ge…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jul 2019

Is it realistic to try to become an actor in the Midwest?

I’ve always loved acting so much, and I’m in a lot of theatre at my school, and basically I just practice how I would play certain parts constantly during my free time. I’ve gotten to the point where I can confidently say that I’m a pretty good actor. I’m about to be a senior in high school but I don’t know if it’s rea…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jul 2019

Taping Services in Seattle?

Hey Seattle actors! I'm from Atlanta but visiting Seattle for a week. Just received an audition and was curious if you guys had any taping services around here. Thank you for any suggestions you have!

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2019

Agency Recommendations

Hello everyone! I am an actor of about 5 years now. I have training, a reel, professional headshots, resume, etc... and now I’m looking to branch out into the bigger east coast markets. Currently I have an agent in Pittsburgh, but now I’m looking to expand myself and was hoping someone may know of good and reputable ag…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2019

SAG rates for a spec commercial

Hey all, Apologies if this is the wrong subreddit - I just know some SAG folks are around. If I (director) produce a spec commercial for my reel - and I want to use SAG actors, how do I sort out what their rate is? Or maybe - what defines a commercial? That it's funded by a brand and actually is aired? Cause neither of…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2019

Who do you follow on twitter?

Trying to branch out my network a bit. Looking for creatives, voice actors, anyone! You can follow me @layonthebeech and i'll be sure to follow you back.

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2019

acting with social anxiety- I NEED ADVICE

I am 14 and have horrible anxiety around other people. It's not just stage fright, I hate when the attention is on me at any time, i hate acting games that are supposed to be fun. The problem is I'm so passionate for acting. I have a few years' experience with theater classes, but i felt like everyone hated me because…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2019

Do You Submit Yourself To Lazy Casting Calls?

I just want to preface this question but saying that I believe that in most cases, that any acting opportunities are great opportunities. Any bit of practice you can get under your belt is essential. ​ On that note tho, do you submit yourself to lazy castings or do you think its just a waste of time for the most…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2019

Supporting SO in Acting Pursuit

Hey guys, Maybe this isn't the right place to post this, but I'd like some insight. My SO is an aspiring actor and I'm getting to experience second hand the frustration and hardships that this industry can bring upon someone. As someone who is committed to someone in this industry, how can I be of best support? They ne…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2019

Strange phenomenon while shooting...

So, the other day I was taking part in the 48 hr film festival as an actor. The director, for one reason or another, kept having me jump to different accents during the course of the short film. When I say different accents over the course of shooting, I mean absolutely no continuity whatsoever. We did not re-shoot the…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2019

Auditioning for a Scare Actor?

Hi /r/acting! So I recently heard about a Scare Actor opportunity for a park in my city. The audition will take around 30 minutes and is a group audition. I'm planning to talk to my drama teacher sometime these following days, as he is currently teaching summer school, about what to except and if I should prepare anyth…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2019

I don’t think voice acting is for me...

I’ve been interested in, and working at, voice acting for a while now. I’ve followed guides, practiced, even got a few (non paid) gigs. I’ve told myself for a long time that this is what I wanted to do. But I’m not sure anymore. My heart just isn’t in it. While working towards my goal, what I discovered is that I reall…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2019

Looking to see if this type of acting has a coined title...

I have been conceptualizing/writing for a film that mixes fully staged scenes with characters but also incorporates scenes in which said characters interact with the general public (who are not aware that the character is acting) , somewhat in the vain of what Sacha Baron Cohen does , or Nathan For You, except my film…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2019

I think I'm secretly a musical theatre actor

Hello all, I've been desperate to be taken seriously as long as I can remember. However, I started voice lessons. Initially, I thought.."well, this would be good enough to be more well rounded." I randomly signed up for a MT audition.. And now I'm excited about it..and feel might even be more fulfilling.. And I think I…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2019

What's your 5 year plan as an actor?

I'm not asking you to give up every strategy you have but whats a rough draft of a 5 year plan as an actor. So hard to strategize with this career.

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jul 2019

Moving to Toronto: A Non-Canadian's Guide

After looking at the [FAQ](https://www.reddit.com/r/acting/wiki/index), I noticed that the one major hub that didn't have a 'Moving to' page was Toronto. Toronto is getting a shit ton of investment from big ol' companies, Netflix and CBS to name but two, and as a Brit that moved here completely blind, I feel like I've…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jul 2019

Survival jobs for actors

About a year ago, I moved to LA to pursue writing and acting. So far, things have been going surprisingly well. I have been able to meet a great group of friends and have been a part of some fun projects! What I have been struggling with, however, is not something I thought was going to be this challenging. I am having…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jul 2019

Bjorn headshots

Has anyone shot with Bjorn of [Bjornheadshots.com](https://Bjornheadshots.com)? Not Bjoern Kommerel of bkheadshots (that's confusing). Both shoot more cinematic style headshots and I'm intrigued to try something different, but I can't find any actors reviewing it online. If you have shot, what was the experience like?…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jul 2019

Help

Hello, my name is kareem Im 14 and im from Egypt and im a really good actor if you would say I act in english but there is no places in egypt to help me grow my talent plus which is the most important there are no agents here who can get u to Hollywood So,can u guys suggest and ideas for me? Can i get a foreign agent?…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jul 2019

Side Hobbies?

Hey, Just wanted to know what side hobbies alot of actors have? More and more recently I've become a huge believer in the keeping myself busy part of the job, when work is slow. Besides Part times, and actually acting related classes/activities, what do actors on here like to do when they're not acting? I know it'll be…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jul 2019

I MADE IT!!! DON’T GIVE UP!!!

I genuinely can’t believe I’m writing this. I’ve been following this page for awhile, and I made this account to avoid giving away my identity. When I was little, I was SUPER shy. For some reason, I felt drawn to acting, so I begged my mom to put me in acting classes. These classes lasted for about 5 years. After awhil…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jul 2019

To doctor or not to doctor: a painful decision, opinions appreciated

Hey guys. I'm a 20y/o female living near Sydney in Australia. I'm two years into a medical degree, but have taken this year off to travel and explore a bit before the more intense clinical years. And now I'm heartwrenchingly torn as to which path to take - acting/arts or medicine? Brace yourselves for a bit of an exist…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jul 2019

The original source material matters; especially skin color.

This might get lengthy but stick with me. Ex: Metropolis(1927) - [https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017136/](https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017136/) It features a female robot. Of course they did not exist then. It was played by a female in a costume resembling a mechanical humanoid. Any story having 'things' which do not e…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jul 2019

ELI5: Showfax Actors Access Sides, how do they work?

So I was browsing the Actors Access site and decided to click on the sides section for the first time ever, because I guess I'm dumb. It looks to me like this is the site to go to if you ever hope to audition for anything major, so now I'm curious. How does it actually work? Can someone with AA Plus break down what the…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jul 2019

I'm SAG but don't know what jobs that limits me to

I mostly work as a background actor, I'm core on an American network TV show. I've also done some student films and independent projects. I know I can't work as non-SAG on a production covered by the contract, but what about productions that aren't? Or things that aren't really productions? I see lots of ads on backsta…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jul 2019

Looking for Actors for Harry Potter fan films

Alright so I've started a production studio (@legilimens_productions on imatagram). We have started writing some Harry Potter fan movies, we are still looking for cast and crew members. Our current project is called 'Severus Snape could be innocent'. Currently we need actors, writers, artists, and posibably editors if…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jul 2019

Aspiring 18yo Asian Actress

Hi guys! I am a Malaysian student on an f1 visa currently studying in the States. I am doing a Biological Science degree for my parents but I truly want to pursue a career in acting. Coming from an Asian background, my family and friends think that I am delusional but I believe that with hard work and enough effort (no…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jul 2019

semi aspiring actor? maybe just curious? no idea

hi guys i feel a bit silly about posting on here but i feel like i’m being lured into acting. i’m currently working in the biotech industry, semi dropping out of college because i already have a job in my field and don’t feel like wasting the time or money when experience is more valuable. but the more i work in biotec…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jul 2019

Looking for actors in Davison mi area!

Hey, I'm a director of low budget short films, currently we are in pre production of a new action/thriller film Called "prey", we need actors, and crew. We usually release our stuff on YouTube and sometimes film festivals. Here's the synopsis of the film. PREY Synopsis: Every year a group of the world's craziest and de…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jul 2019

Physiological effects of acting

All actors experienced stress, causing elevated heart rate, the more experienced actors displayed less heart rate variability than the less experienced actors in the same play. The more experienced actors experienced less stress while performing, and therefore had a smaller degree of variability than the less experienc…