Acting forums, all in one place

19,654 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jul 2019

Should I go to drama school at 25 years old?

Hello hello! I started acting officially about a month ago in **Atlanta** by taking theater, voiceover, and on screen acting classes at local studios. I am currently in the process of building up my resume/taking headshots to start auditioning! **My question is this: Should I go get formal, professional training?** And…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jul 2019

Practical Acting is amazing

Hello, Im finally getting over myself and reading PRACTICAL HANDBOOK FOR THE ACTOR, It's so easy and real. I wish I wasn't so wrapped up in my own self to wait this long! Has anyone taken any classes at the Atlantic??

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jul 2019

I need help with a cover letter

Hello everyone! I need to write a cover letter in order to apply for a performing award open to beginners from all background. (in my case I come from a film technology course). The cover letter is the only the first stage. The selected few will be inviting to an audition, and from there the single chosen actor will wi…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jul 2019

Need voice actor

I'm making a movie I need voice actor. Details: I need a narrator for the trailer. I dont have money but instead in the credits of the film I will make a specific part for you with your social media and shit if you want.

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2019

New to Voice Directing. Any advice?

TL;DR - new to VA directing. Need advice. ​ Hello lovely actors, I'm in a bit of a strange spot and I'd love input from you. ​ Long story short: I work for a small team on a tight budget making a short/proof of concept. Since I wrote/developed most of this project I've been volen-told to voice direct. I'v…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2019

Looking Into Voice Acting

Salutations! For a long time, I have been told I should go into voice acting because my voice is naturally calming and smooth. I have always thought my voice was monotone at best but I digress. I work in an environment in which I answer the phones a lot and I have been told from professional voice actors who have calle…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2019

most well-known on screen acting programs?

I feel like I'm not getting what I want to learn from these acting classes, sure they are worth it, but I feel I'm not learning what I want to learn, and thats how to act in front of the camera. I am not a theatre actor and have 0 interest in theatre. I completed an on-camera program in my city but it was ehhh. There i…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2019

Not sure if anyone has any questions, or if the community would deem it helpful, but my name is Joe Coburn and I'm a Casting Director in NYC. Feel free to AMA.

Co-owner of Vitamin Enriched, and we've (along with Katherine Foronjy) been in operation since 2009, and Katherine has been in the biz for over 15 years. vitaminenrichedfilms.com We cast mainly for advertisements, doing both real people and actors. I have chimed in on questions a few times, and posted a few castings on…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2019

Looking for voice actors of all kinds for YouTube channel. PAID POSITION!

Hi, my name is Kaleb Sherretz. I am the editor and creative director for a series of Fortnite YouTube channels. We do daily machinima videos with overdubbed voices. We are constantly introducing new characters to our world and find ourselves desperately needing voice actors, particularly female voices. Our typical vide…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2019

Do you think social media is necessary for an actor?

I get that you’re representing your brand and whatnot, but social media can be really toxic and draining at times ... do you think it’s a necessity for an actor to have? ex: Twitter, Instagram, etc.

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2019

To act or not to act? That is the question!

I've been told all my life growing up that I should pursue acting. I've been in many school plays, every middle and high school acting class I could take, and some small church plays when I was younger. I love acting with a passion, and I've always wanted to be that big screen actor! The one that moves people to make a…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Jul 25

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2019

Actors with OCD/Anxiety?

Dealing with OCD and anxiety has always been my biggest struggle, and it sometimes feel like it's going to be impossible to have a successful career as someone who deals with this. Are there any successful actors you know of who also deal with OCD?

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2019

[PAID] Now Casting Voice Actors for the Video Game Pine! (Coming out on Switch and PC)

Good day everyone! I'm part of the audio team for the game [Pine](https://pine-game.com/) that has been successfully [Kickstarted](https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twirlbound/pine-an-action-adventure-game-that-adapts-to-you) and is going to come out very soon on PC and Switch. We are in the final sprint to finish t…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2019

Can you actually make a living as a full-time background actor?

Hi. I was wondering how feasible it would be to make a living as a background actor. I've heard of people doing it, but I understand the high rates of pay are with the union jobs. I've also heard that the work is not very stable, and you can't really plan anything.

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2019

Humming noise

So I've been attempting to do voice acting as a hobby for a couple years now to see if I like it enough to become serious about it. If there's one thing that's been consistent throughout that time, it's the amount of background noise and humming that is constantly in the recording and prevents me from getting anywhere…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2019

Voice Actress

Does anyone know of an actress or someone who has that 1950's era style voice like Doris Day or Rosemary Clooney that is actually still active?

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2019

Does it have to start in a theatre?

I'm looking to act, I've always wanted to, but at a young age my family told me that 90 something percent of actors don't have enough to eat, and so I've been focusing on other things. I rarely watch tv shows, but when I do all I'm thinking about is how the show is made, what the actors/actresses are thinking, what the…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2019

Voice Training Resources

You know how you can learn anything using the internet nowadays? I'm an actress, and was looking into learning voice acting. But it seems like it's difficult to find tutorials and courses (I think youtube series count as courses if you can actually learn from them). There are tons of videos about the *business* of voic…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2019

This is a scam, right?

I got an alert on LA Casting this morning from someone who says she owns a "non-SAG" talent agency who reps SAG and non-union actors. This is the main line that screams "scam" to me: *"This is not a cold call, someone from our team hand selected you based on your profile on LA Casting."* They require a headshot/reel su…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2019

Specific Job for actors

Anybody sell books on Amazon as a side hustle? Thoughts? Experiences?

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2019

A Comprehensive Guide to Acting Pt. 2

If you are reading this then I'm assuming you read [Pt. 1](https://www.reddit.com/r/acting/comments/cgjas1/a_comprehensive_guide_to_acting_pt_1/) of my guide. Please read that before continuing down this very long rabbit hole. ​ So, we've determined that you have the mental fortitude to even begin considering th…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2019

Thoughts on a surname change?

I have been looking at articles lately saying Hispanic actors are less likely to get cast or get roles which really discouraged me. However I saw a case in which a girl Anglicized her last name and got more roles. Which made me think whether or not I should too because I am Hispanic but I look more Spanish and can pass…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2019

Quick question about projecting emotions while acting

Is it more important to try and control your face expressions to match what you're looking for, or just "feel it" and let it flow out? I'm starting to practice that, so I'm kinda confused, specially having heard that actors use "motivations"

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2019

HELP! Should i start younger or attend a drama school first?

I've been working in my country as an actress ever since i was 13. Last year i applied for a green card (I'm 17 now) and my application just got accepted. Next year i graduate from high school and I'm wondering whether i should attend a drama school in the US first or start searching for US agents immediately after hig…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2019

Tips for a better performance

I may not be an actor (yet) but here's a bit of advice for all you aspiring actors like myself. Don't pretend to feel the emotion. Feel the emotion. That advice can take you a long way and can be connected to many areas of acting. But in case you didn't get what I meant, here's an example. Don't pretend to feel angry f…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2019

AA - Do submissions disappear from your list?

This is a weird question and I could just be mis-remembering. But, if a casting notice is originally posted in the area where actors can see and you submit for a role, would that role still show in the list of your submissions if the casting notice was pulled or made visible only in the agent area? I got an audition re…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2019

Great role that would require weight gain

There's a potential TV role I'm hoping to get, where the character is a "jolly fat" woman. I love the character - she's very funny, uplifting, and a good friend to the lead character. However because she's written as a happy big girl if I were to play her I'd need to look the part. And while I'm not skinny I'd need to…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2019

Calming nerves for a class

I’ve taken a small step and booked myself into a weekend acting class for September. It’s a beginner class for people with little to no experience, but they’ve asked for a headshot and an acting CV. I don’t currently have a headshot (but I’ve found a photographer friend who is happy to take one for me) and my acting CV…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2019

Can you do Voice Over without a home studio?

Hey, When you're getting started, and don't have the financial ability to build a home studio, how does one do Voice Overs? Is it even possible, or am I just out of luck. There are no cheap options for me, as I live in a very hot climate and the building uses window ac units, which are very loud. I can't afford to comp…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2019

Poor People: seriously, how the fuck do you pursue this?

especially in the early days, everybody wants you to work for free, everybody wants you to supply your own wardrobe, drive to remote locations, rearrange your schedule for nights, weekends, for auditions, for call backs, self tape for unpaid projects, theater doesn't pay, or YOU have to pay them, agents sign you and th…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2019

My Story - My Problem

My Story Two years ago, I graduated with an engineering degree and started a job two weeks later. Two or three months after that, I realized I'd really like to get into acting. Probably just in my free time, but if it became more than that, then great! I researched, researched, planned, researched, etc. Fortunately for…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2019

Help!! Classes and auditioning.

Hello everyone. I am 23 years old and just Graduated college. I didn’t major in anything in theater however I have taken classes at my school and outside of school. However I keep feeling as I am not training the muscle of acting enough. I have done a short film and some skits with friends but to far in between. I am s…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2019

Do you give your agent commission for roles you find yourselves?

I've recently talked with various actors who give commissions to their agent even for roles they book all by themselves. I've never done this, and I was wondering if this is standard practice? Would love to hear opinions. I'm based in London btw.

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2019

This is an unusual request but...

Hello dear redditers, ​ My name is Gus and I'm a Motion Graphics Artist from Portugal. I'm on this sub because a couple months ago I've spent a large amount of hours developing an explainer video for a company that asked me to do it and never paid me. I've talked to its owner who made a deal with my almost an ye…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2019

Actor in NYC, looking for agent, feeling lost, help?

Hi, gang. 33/M here. Long story short: Been a professional actor since I was 9 when I started doing local theater. Booked a TV movie when I was 15 and got my first agent in LA shortly after that. Had representation for many years while living in LA (I booked two TV shows and had hundreds of legit film/TV auditions), le…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2019

NC actors

Hey all, My name is Michael and I'm an actor based in NC. as other actors from my area may know we used to have tax incentives in place so that people and studios were persuaded to film here (typically they would film in Wilmington) A tax incentive is basically a way in the tax code to say "hey, come here!" to an indus…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2019

Connecting to the material

Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone could point me the way to learning how to connect to the material better. I know being an actor requires Empathy, but are their specific techniques to feel the way the character's feel about something their speaking about? Say, another character (not in the scene or film but alluded t…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2019

I wonder how do theatre actors/actresses survive

It's a legit question I want to ask. I hope no one gets offended. Since graduating from acting class, I've been doing commercials, indie films, TV and corporate videos. Yet it's still a struggle to make ends meet. I have female classmates (whom I'm not close with) who just do theatre. No commercials, no film,no TV. Not…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2019

Your experiences with cultish schools?

Just finished a semester in an acting school. I did not have a good experience with one of the teachers there or the way the technique was taught. ​ Our teacher, an actor himself - aside from constantly name-dropping famous actors every second class, he would keep going up and saying to me at least once every cl…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2019

How to start acting, in a country with minimum to no acting activity?

All my life I’ve been told by multiple people that I should try acting etc. but I live in a country/town with barely any acting activity (Varberg, Sweden). What do you recommend me doing? Is there even a point in trying? There aren’t really many known swedish actors. The only ones I know of are the Skarsgårds.

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2019

Any other actors with unsupportive parent(s)?

So I've been given the opportunity to submit a solo piece to potentially be performed at the Fringe World festival next year. This is a big thing where I'm from. The chances that I'll get in seem low, but there's no harm in trying I guess. However, for the last year my mother has been crazy about going to see the North…