Acting forums, all in one place

19,653 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Mar 2019

As a director, can I do anything more to help me secure actors?

Okay, so I'm still in university and I'm directing a project. I do act myself but not that much, I don't go for roles yet because I don't think I'm anywhere good enough. So I'm yet to understand what makes it easier on the talent. I've used the drama department's students in the past but it functions in a much more dif…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Mar 2019

How is your Preparation?

" **RADA's Dee Cannon outlines 10 questions that must be addressed in order to create a fully-realised three-dimensional person."** ​ Interested in everyone's input on these points: [https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2009/may/09/character-building-great-actor](https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2009/may/09/charac…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Mar 2019

How is your preperation?

I found this today, and was interested in everyone's ideas: " **RADA's Dee Cannon outlines 10 questions that must be addressed in order to create a fully-realised three-dimensional person."** [**https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2009/may/09/character-building-great-actor**](https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2009/may/09…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Mar 2019

Need help deciding about the Stella Adler Studio.

Hi r/acting, so I have an interesting crossroads that I've come to. After auditioning at the New England Theatre Conference and getting several callbacks, I've been invited to attend the Stella Adler Summer Intensive. I was floored by the news and would love to go, as I've heard nothing but good things. However, I'm wo…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Mar 2019

Just completed my first book...and no thanks.

Hats off to all the voice actors and narrators. Being a musician all my life I took a dive into audiobooks. 1 finished hour took me forever, and honestly it’s not easy at all. I have a lot of respect for all of you now, and it’s safe to say this shit isn’t for me!

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Mar 2019

I did it! I quit work

Hello all, I am diving full into this community right now! I have been a long time lurker, watching many of you fight for success, and have been very inspired by this sub. ​ I currently live in LA, and moved here to work for a STELLAR tech company. I have had an amazing time with them overall, but ultimately kne…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Mar 2019

Crooked teeth headshot

Hey everyone so I’m trying to break into the business and be a full time actor. I have no experience and I’ve applied to jobs with no success so far. I know my headshot isn’t the greatest but I know I can make it in this business. I’m so nervous about my teeth that I try my hardest not so smile. Is there to digitally f…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Mar 2019

I'm 30 and I don't want to live with regret for the rest of my life.

Hi, longtime lurker here. **TLDR** Could someone recommend a solid, reputable place to take night / weekend classes in NYC? Preferably something more structured (as opposed to rolling scene study classes or one-off workshops) that doesn't completely break the bank (though, I know you 'get what you pay for'). **A little…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Mar 2019

Can you be an Actor with acne?

I have acne and I feel like people always look at my acne first. I was just wondering if people would still hire me if i have acne because I always see actors with little to no imperfections. And there are hardly any acting opportunistic here in Oregon well at least I can hardly find any. Thanks

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Mar 2019

how do I get Parts in a small City

Hello my name is Kevin I'm 21 years old and I'm from a small Canadian city and I really want to be an actor I got the idea when I was 17 years old it was a suggestion because I have always been the funny guy I have been honing my craft for a few months through YouTube tutorials but anyway I'm going to get some point do…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Mar 2019

Dropping out to pursue acting. Need opinions/comments

Hey everyone I just recently found this sub and wanted to give you a little background on me and want your input on a couple things. Im currently 19 (M) and at a university. I am a business major but I am really interested in acting. My mom is an actress and has been professionally all her life on stage in Chicago, Haw…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Mar 2019

New rep approach. Any suggestions

Hey all, would love some feedback or suggestions on this. I'm a hardworking and skilled Actor. I've done alot of training ( although not a 3 yr drama school) and I have really good footage, showreel and have been professionally cast and have pro credits. I was previously with a top agency in London after they saw a fil…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Mar 2019

Another agency question

Whats up guys? So last time I was helped out pretty well regarding an agency. I kept on my original for actors access and a new one for Casting Networks. The new one just asked if I can do an audition for a baseball commercial tomorrow morning. I said yes but had conflicts due to the producers requiring a video of base…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Mar 2019

Looking for female actors to play a victim (supporting character) for $10

Hi the movie I'm working on is called Humanoid Divergent which is a sci-fi genre about a female robot named Mandy who is created by a company named Isecurity in which their initial goal is to create her to become a housemaid servant. When that fails, she comes back to life to help with the law enforcement. During this…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Mar 2019

Directing my first short with professional actors and need some tips!

I’m about to shoot my first short film with professional actors (have made shorts before but with students and friends etc), and the thing I’m most worried about is not knowing how to get a good performance out of them. I’ve read Judith Weston’s book “Directing Actors” and read a hundred tips from a hundred different f…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Mar 2019

My progress so far without formal acting training.

TLDR: Got cast in several things now with no qualifications as an actor. It can be done if you work your booty off! Hey there, For a little over a year now I have aspired to follow up on my old dream of being a professional actor. I studied creative writing at uni but dropped out because it wasn't for me. A couple of j…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Mar 2019

17ish-27ish Female Voice Actor for Comission Requested!

I am running a super detailed dnd campaign, and I am going to have my party stumble upon a hollow tape. I am looking for a soft and kind female voice to be the voice of my character. I am 100% open to commissioning this work, we can negotiate price together. I will need to hear samples of hour voice before hiring you.…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Mar 2019

Dealing with Tricksters and Intentional Blockers in Improv games/scenes.

Hi there, I was wondering peoples opinions on improv actors within scenes that go out of their way to intentionally make someone look bad, to set up them up or to screw up or fail. Knowing Actors and Acting is sometimes a cut throat business. What do you do to better prepare yourself against, for example: borderline ha…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Mar 2019

Call sheet time frame?

Question: what's a good/respectful/ideal time frame to expect a call sheet for a low budget project? Actor here... I was asked to be in a short, just a days shoot a while back. I heard nothing & emailed a week ago to confirm my wardrobe requirements, travel details, location, call/wrap times etc... Was told 'yeah we'll…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Mar 2019

[Question] Post/site with combined subscription to acting and audition websites

A few years back I saved a post on here discussing sites like Backstage and Actors Access. A few comments had linked a website that has a multi-subscription service fore (iirc) three main services for casting calls and auditions. For the life of me I can't find it, apparently I saved too many reddit posts before I actu…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Mar 2019

Hope it's not a stupid Question!

My short background: Been Meisner level students for about 6-7 months now. I really love this, every day and hour i spend at my day job feels like a wasted opportunity to get better in this thing. I feel i could have invested more time in getting better at acting rather than spend more hours at my day job (CPA). On the…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Mar 2019

Is there ever a perfect time? + tips on extra work

Hey guys, Firstly I just wanted to say I’m really excited to finally be a part of this community where people share the same passion as me! Im 18 and in university. Ive always wanted to start acting because I feel like I’m very unique in what I have to offer when it comes to acting. Im Somali and theres not a lot of So…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Mar 2019

Actors access emergency help!

Hi! So I seem to be in a bit of a pickle. I have an audition for a streaming episodic (first recurring!). I taped my self-tapes and followed the instructions given in my original C-Mail (two takes of two scenes, one take of another). I submitted it to my agent for review. Of course, after I do this, casting sends a fol…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Mar 2019

Interactive Voice-Over Reel - what do you think?

Hi fam! Tomasz from WFA here. We recently started switching over to helping voice-actors but I know way more about screen actors than voice artists, so I'd love your opinion on this tool I've developed: [http://michaeld.reels.link/](http://michaeld.reels.link/) What this is is an interactive reel. So even though it's j…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Mar 2019

What is your survival job and shift schedule?

Looking into survival jobs for myself and wondering what other actors have done and what schedules for their jobs ended up working best for them (working days, nights, weekends, etc.)

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Mar 2019

Looking for voice actors

I need a voice actor to say these two paragraphs: [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jnk3j76mS5vh3-TNVggKEHeqFJP\_ow77LGtZ6QLdfzE/edit](https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jnk3j76mS5vh3-TNVggKEHeqFJP_ow77LGtZ6QLdfzE/edit)

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Mar 2019

Marketing Strategy help

I want to start off by saying I love this subreddit. I have been posting questions a lot lately and I have always gotten feedback and answers that have leveled me up as a voice actor. Thank you. My question: What are you all marketing strategy and is it working? I want to put out my marketing map and I would like feedb…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Mar 2019

Actor/Filmaker AMA

Hello, Doing a Podcast where we answer questions called Surviving Hollywood. We are not experts by any means, but we are just working actors in LA and in this episode we will be taking the community's questions. Does anyone have any questions about 'surviving hollywood"? Thanks

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Mar 2019

Anyone studied at "Lifebook Acting Academy" in Studio City (Los Angeles) ?

Hi, does anybody studied at Lifebook academy at "Two Roads Theater" ? [https://www.facebook.com/LifebookActing/](https://www.facebook.com/LifebookActing/) Slightly weird they promote their classes on Surkus/Groupon etc etc. All their FB/yelp reviews are REALLY good. And there's no info about them on Reddit. Would like…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Mar 2019

Clear path!

In the midst of family and friend advice I wasn’t listening to myself and my vision. Being able to hear Arnold swareznegger speech on making it as an actor and his visions was extremely motivating. Although the odds of making it big are obviously slim to none my mind is still set on working my ass off daily after movin…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Mar 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Mar 7

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Mar 2019

How much should i charge my voice actors?

hi there! i'm a video game dev, just starting out, and i'm thinking about hiring voice actors. They're not going to voice the whole game, don't worry, just a few lines at the end. Two voice actors, voicing around 5-10 lines each, around 30-40 seconds in total. I'm not going to hire professional voice actors, because (1…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Mar 2019

Questions about conservatories and locations

Hi everyone. I am from Georgia and am interested in becoming a full-time actor. I'd prefer to mainly focus on theatre with more minor focuses on film and musical theatre. I'm more interested in going to a 2 year conservatory than attaining a bachelors. Would it be best to attend somewhere around here? Or somewhere else…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Mar 2019

How much should I pay my voice actors?

hi there! i'm a video game dev, just starting out, and i'm thinking about hiring voice actors. They're not going to voice the whole game, don't worry, just a few lines at the end. Two voice actors, voicing around 5-10 lines each, around 30-40 seconds in total. I'm not going to hire professional voice actors, because (1…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Mar 2019

Moving to LA?

Hi everyone! I made a post a few days ago about auditioning for theatre school even if I didn’t feel ready, well I have some more questions haha. Basically I am 18 and am planning on going to theatre school (I have done one theatre class and am doing one right now as well). After I am done with that my plan is to move…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Mar 2019

[Hiring] Looking for Child Voice Actress

Hello everyone. I'm looking to hire a child voice actress (approx. 7 years old) for some voice acting to be synced to an animated short. There will be no dialogues, but it involves a lot of expressions -- happy laughter, heavy breathing, gasping, sick coughing, and crying (from holding in to crying very expressively).…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Mar 2019

The Fixers Side character Casting Call (Unpaid)

Hey Everyone. I posted earlier this week looking for voice actors willing to get on bored with my machinima project to play the main cast. Since making that post I have found many interested people with talent and it's great to see such a pique in interest. As a result I have devised a list of side characters that will…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Mar 2019

[Discussion] What does a reliable actor bring to set?

I’d love to hear what everyone thinks is critical for an actor to bring to set. I recently PA’d on a short film and at the end of the weekend, wrote down a list of things a reliable PA brings to set. As an actor primarily though, I realized I hadn’t made a list of things I should bring as an actor. Two things I would b…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Mar 2019

Audition on Saturday, really nervous and will take any advice!

I have an audition for a summer program with a well known theater in my area. I auditioned last year and wasn't selected so I spent a lot of the past year preparing and would really love to get into the program. It's fairly competitive (last year there were around 40ish applicants and they accepted around 15-18) and my…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Mar 2019

VOICE ACTORS WANTED! - The Little Engine That Could 2: Return of the Railroad (2020)

Hello, we are working on a sequel to The Little Engine That Could, the 1991 film obviously with Tillie and all those characters. It will be entirely 2D and frame by frame so it literally will live up to the classic is what we’re hoping. Anyways we are in need of people to the voice of Tillie, the voice of Farnsworth, J…