Acting forums, all in one place

19,653 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Feb 2019

Breaking Talent Agent Contract/Pay Question

Hello! I’m consistently booking paid student and short films, and even getting auditions for larger projects on known networks by submitting myself via Backstage & ActorsAccess. My talent agency (P) is a new agency that I signed with earlier this month after they parted ways with my previous agency (G) and I chose to g…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Feb 2019

Leaving an actors workshop more confused than confident.

Hi all. I currently live in Atlanta GA, which at the moment is experiencing a great influx in films/TV being shot here. I love it. At the moment I am an unsigned actor. I have been going to some workshops here recently that big agents in the Atlanta region attend. They go to scout out talent and see if they like what t…

Backstage

Backstage · 27 Feb 2019

Lines...and Memory

Hi! I have heard often times of the actor/actress changing up the script as they go along, but WHAT do you do if A) you are given a script with typos or a lack of fluidity w/ no table read and B) You forget your lines, but they came out...

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Feb 2019

Technique. What do you prefer?

Personally, I’ve been studying in a Strasberg based class in Atlanta for a year and I absolutely love the methods I am learning. I am curious as to what other techniques most actors here are training in? I know that Meisner Technique is very popular in today’s world. I would love to know what you are all studying or if…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Feb 2019

Film scene in Chicago?

I'm originally from Pittsburgh, and was set to move to Queens, NY and share my friends apartment, until he decided to move back to his hometown... Now I currently don't have a place to move to, and am back at square one. I've I don't live in NYC, I would like to live in Chicago. Haven't been to LA, so I don't really kn…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Feb 2019

MFA acting: Pace vs The New School?

I am not completely sure of the history of these two schools and how they are both related to the Actors Studio, but which one do you think is best?

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Feb 2019

Issues with Voice123 new UI - Unable to cast a winner among auditions. Why?

Prior to the Voice123 UI change, the casting director was able to choose an actor. On the actor's profile, it would show as a "Hire" button. I currently have anyone I've cast on Voice123 shown as "Winner selected!" with a trophy icon. Recently I had a casting call (58 auditions) but noticed there was no option to cast…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Feb 2019

What's the best source you know for reading about how improvisation is used in scripts to enhance acting immersion? Or your favorite examples? Or the philosophy of it? I'm used to this in comedy, but interested in when it's used elsewhere (drama, horror,

Disclaimer: Not an actor! Just an amateur writer with an amateur interest in film. Had a curiosity and didn't know a better subreddit to ask. I was just reading a comic and envisioning a live action adaptation. And I've had this thought before, which is that despite the dialogue being good, it's somewhat straightforwar…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Feb 2019

Submissions to SAG projects as non-union

My agent submits me to about everything. 2 days ago, I submitted a tape audition to a request he had sent to me, but the role was SAG, and I am not union. I was wondering, would I even have a chance at this role as a non-union person? The most I understand about the rules on this is, in Georgia, a right to work state,…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Feb 2019

Type.

No clue if anybody is even remotely interested in talking about this. And as much as “type” is talked about, I know there is a large portion of those who don’t think an actor has to establish a type via headshots/etc. Me personally, I don’t think a type can be fully expressed in a headshot. I believe in finding materia…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Feb 2019

Auditioning for student/short films in SF

Hello! I’m currently starting out as an actor with 4 productions under my belt, but all of them have been theater productions. I want to audition for student or short films but I only have one headshot from Senior year of high school(2017). Should I use that headshot for the time being or get new professional headshots…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Feb 2019

An ad agency copywriter talks about his criteria for hiring talent

He's pretty honest. Some good insight here for those working in commercials. [http://www.actinginchicago.com/advice-for-actors/how-to-get-a-voice-over-job-according-to-an-ad-agency-copywriter/](http://www.actinginchicago.com/advice-for-actors/how-to-get-a-voice-over-job-according-to-an-ad-agency-copywriter/)

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Feb 2019

Beginning's of a Voice Over Demo!

I see a lot of people asking about the beginning's of a Voice Over demo so I decided to try and help out! ​ **Beginnings of a VO Demo** Voice over demos are an ever evolving vital piece of every VO artist's repertoire. The most important thing to remember when thinking of what to put on your demo is **YOUR PERSO…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Feb 2019

Hello Everyone!!

My name is Andrew I am a Professional Voice Actor in Los Angeles. I have voices in several animes, video games, commercials.. so on and so on.. ​ I am here because I like to share, I'm always surfing the web mainly on reddit or streaming my games on twitch so I may as well be active in a community here!! If ther…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Feb 2019

drama school??? spill

I'm an aspiring actor, I'm 17 years old African-American male and have an agent in San Francisco. I've done some commercial work with some pretty big names and some short films. I want to pursue a career in acting, so I recently auditioned for a few drama schools (NYU, Fordham, UCLA, Pace) and I'm sitting around going…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Feb 2019

Actor parent groups in NYC

Hi! I’m a SAG-AFTRA actress who is also a single parent and I’m looking for working actor/parent groups in NYC. I searched on Facebook but haven’t found anything. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Feb 2019

What is the easiest way to get SAG if you're an Actor/Writer or Actor/Director?

If you're making your own material what is the easiest (proven) way to get SAG? I understand that for most people you shouldn't get into SAG until you're ready. But I'm curious what the easiest quickest way is to get into SAG with your own work? I remember before, people found some loop hole and turned any poop-quality…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Feb 2019

New Active Voice Over Discord Here

Long story short, joined a discord I found here and it had many people in it but it wasn't active and upon talking to the Owner he/she had left it to die more or less. SO I took it upon myself to create one that will have scheduled practice days for those interested, have resources and links, demo-reel help and a wide…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Feb 2019

How to tell the difference between Marlon Brando’s “fake” take and “real” take

I’ve just been reading Sidney Lumet’s book “Making Movies” (it’s fantastic by the way) and in it he talks about his time working with Brando on the film The Fugitive Kind. Lumet says that Brando would test directors on his first day by giving them a ‘fake’ take and a ‘real’ take of the same shot. Supposedly if the dire…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Feb 2019

How much can theater classes help you in film acting?

I feel like this is a dumb question being as though there are a lot of prestigious actors/actresses who’ve started off in theatre. But I just wanted to ask anyway. I’ve studied film and have been apart of numerous projects but I’m relatively new to studying acting as I’ve never really put energy and focus in this speci…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Feb 2019

I think I was cut from my first ever role

In October I went to an open casting call for a local project. Jan 22nd the producer messaged me to say that we'd be shooting the segment I'm in, in the third week of Feb and on day one it was seemingly decided that Saturdays would be shooting days. Yesterday, Saturday and the third week of Feb, the director posted abo…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Feb 2019

Question about acting in a play

I am not an actor but I enjoy going to plays. However, there is one thing I see in plays that is like nails on a chalkboard. That is where a woman or 2 women walk around in circles screeching at one another. I know they need to project their voices, but they sound like they are about to break windows. Why is that?

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Feb 2019

Review my practice routine and feel free to share yours! :)

Hello friends! I would be grateful if you could review my practice routine: ​ 1-I pronounce phonemes, one by one, while looking at a mirror to work on my lip shape and tongue position. 2-I read a short story out loud. I switch voice depending on whether I'm narrating or reading dialogue. I give each one of the c…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Feb 2019

I Feel Awkward

So I am in this production and I play the character who is a love interest of the main character. There's two things that I feel are limiting my performance. One, he is a very bold character. He says pretty much whatever comes to his mind, without caring or thinking about how other will take it. He's become accustomed…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Feb 2019

So where or who did 'Heath Ledger' Actually train with?

All this mystery and hype around his TDK role but it never says he attended any schools or trained anywhere specific. Acting doesn't just come out of thin air. It was said he did Alexander and I watched a script to screen of that movie where they show the actors and the actual lines themselves from the script underneat…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Feb 2019

Balancing a day job with your acting career

I wanted to get your opinions on this. I work for a company at the moment as my day job which pays me relatively well, and allows flexibility for auditions whilst doing interesting work. However, I've just been offered a promotion within that same company. The promotion would mean a move into an office, more work, a lo…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Feb 2019

How can I become an actor if I'm out of the three main acting areas?

I don't live in LA, Toronto OR London. I live in the Middle East and I am from there. ​ Have been a theater kid pretty much all my life. I'm absolutely obsessed with acting — problem is, our acting communities here are very shit. You have to act in Arabic (which I progressively got worse at as I preferred Englis…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Feb 2019

From an actor’s point of view, what is the best film performance of all time and why?

I’m a movie guy and it’s easy for other movie people to talk about this performance or that performance, but I’m interested to hear an actual actor’s opinion. I’m interested to see if we movie people are right when we talk about the performances in films like There Will Be Blood and Taxi Driver, or if we’re missing som…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Feb 2019

Taft-Hartley Contracts Question

Hey all, I have an audition coming up for an indie that states it’s a union film, but is allowing non union actors to audition. I know not all union contracts allow for actors to join with a Taft-Hartley, but I’m having trouble finding a list of which contracts do, and which do not. The audition is a long bus ride away…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2019

Where to find auditions for tv shows/commercials

Hey guys I've wanted to be a actor for a while now but don't know where to look for auditions. If you can give me places too look I would very much appreciate it. Thanks

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2019

How much should I save before moving to LA?

I’m an aspiring Japanese actress. There’s not a lot of opportunity here in Japan to audition/shoot for foreign movies so I want to make the big move but was just wondering approximately how much I should be realistically saving before making that move? And which areas in LA do you recommend? (VISA is also an issue but…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2019

How to not act awkward with the actress I’m working with?

I’m doing a scene right now for my college, and I play a guy who is trying to figure out the best way to propose to his girlfriend. I know the girl who’s playing my girlfriend, and she seems pretty cool. Since we’re supposed to be dating, there’s a lot of touching and acting romantic, but nothing sexual or too intimate…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2019

I've hit my lowest point, and I think I've wasted my time trying to do this.

I apologize for the vent on a throwaway, I just needed to let this out. I guess let me preface this by saying that acting is the one thing I've ever consistently wanted to do with my life. It's been a life goal for me since I was a kid, but I was too scared and shy and nervous to pursue it professionally until I gradua…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2019

Gig2Gig

Hello Actors and Performers!!!! ​ Please take a few minutes to participate in this survey for an app I am launching in 10-12 weeks. [https://survey.sogosurvey.com/k/TsQSQXTRsSsPsPsP](https://survey.sogosurvey.com/k/TsQSQXTRsSsPsPsP) ​ The hard part will be getting Casting Directors onboard. If any of you…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2019

Grad school choosing - dilemma!

Y’all I could use some advice. I got into some grad schools, and two of them are finalists. One is two years long in a market that is far from all of my existing connections, but has an international outlook and exposure to many different schools, and gives tons of teaching experience. There is no launch for their grad…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2019

Advice Needed

I (M25) am currently preparing for a short film. Its a action-thriller concept. There's going to be a fight sequence between me and the other actor, where I would be getting bashed by him. I would like to know how do I prepare for the fight sequence? Can I find some acting partners who are willing to practice a few fig…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2019

A little voice acting gig

Hello everyone, I am running a little VA gig for a friend of mine (for a PC game) We are looking for 3 female voice actresses and 5 male voice actors. [I'd like you to have a look at the list of lines to record, and if interested, please send me a message with your portfolio material and rates.](https://docs.google.com…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2019

What does it take to be a voice actor?

Hey guys! Got a little backstory to this question, nothing too long. Basically, I've been working in media for some time now, and I've been hearing the sentence "You should do voice acting jobs" for quite some time now. During my training, I'd do voiceovers for all kinds of productions, and time and time again a lectur…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Feb 2019

What are some really good agencies in the United States?

Good evening, my name is Jake McGuire and im an 18 year old actor based near Pittsburgh, PA. I currently go to a Performing Arts School for Theater. I've checked out a few agencies around the area (Talent Group, Docherty Agency, Etc.). I went to an audition for The Talent Group, and I submitted some things in for Doche…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Feb 2019

LF: Ideas on pulling myself out of the emotional fallout of a character

I am currently doing a 'challenging for me' monologue for class. It's a eulogy. I have been using imaginary circumstances, not real memories, but I am stuck in the feeling of grief and loss. Does anyone have any tips or processes they go through that helps pull them out of the fallout of the emotions of a scene? Backgr…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Feb 2019

FL actors is it slow right now?

I haven’t seen many auditions for age 25-35. Is this time of the year slow? When can we expect it to pick up? I might just apply to Atlanta agencies and drive further for more.

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Feb 2019

Getting an agency without acting school diploma

Trying to make this as short as i can make it. I‘m from Germany and i wanted to become an actress for more than 10 years. I was in a free acting group and acted in front of ~300 people. Once i had the main role. Due to ptsd that happenend to me in school i can‘t go to an acting school. Which sucks because there is not…