Acting forums, all in one place

19,653 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Mar 2019

Help help help... UK Drama school Drama

So, I’ve been given a place with Identity School of Acting but it’s and unaccredited course i.e. I won’t be able to apply for spotlight after I finish. However, they do have their own agency and have had some very successful actors come out of their school. The dilemma is: I currently already train part time at a Meisn…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Mar 2019

I want to voice act, where do I start?

I've always had an interest in voice actors, even when I was a kid. I'm constantly talking in other voices, even when nobody's around. My friends and other people I know are often impressed with the job I do. Hell, someone even asked if I was interested in joining a voice acting project, after reading a through a coupl…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Mar 2019

Stuck on how to move forward

I moved to LA a year ago after getting my degree in acting and training for several years, and quickly got signed by an agent. I've been submitting myself to everything on Actors Access with little luck, and I have not had any bites from my agent lately either. I'm doing a lot of background work, absorbing all the info…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Mar 2019

NYC actors- teacher help

Does anyone know an on camera coach as knowledgeable about style and audition expectations as Ted Sluberski who is a little more positive with their students?

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2019

Headshot Feedback/Type

As an unexperienced beginner, I'm trying to get my 'Actors Toolkit' (Headshot, Showreel, Resume) together so I can start self-submitting for projects and reach out to agents, but have neither the funds or the access to reputable headshot photographers where I live. So I decided to take my own using what I've put togeth…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2019

BF (40) kicking off at me, F (22) over Netflix role

First post. So for context, I'm a professional actress based in the UK. I get seen regularly for pretty decent projects, with Netflix, and shooting for SKY at the moment. I'm in an age gap relationship, he also works in the industry, in independent film. My agent just sent me through a really exciting project, shooting…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2019

So many good actors went to Yale School of Drama

This is wild to me. I just watched Us and three of the actors went to Yale School of Drama. I was actually like woah.. Is this a school I should strive towards? I feel like taking classes at an acting school won't be enough and that scares me.

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2019

Actors - How late is too late to get called into an audition?

Hey there, first time Casting Director here. Have one of several casting calls tomorrow, and got a few cancellations/reschedule requests today which ended up opening up a few slots in tomorrows schedule. Would a call with less than 24 hours notice be something that any of you, as actors, would actually consider? Everyo…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2019

I am an accent reduction expert. Ask me anything!

Hi there! I am an accent modification expert and the founder of [Skilled Speech](https://www.skilledspeech.com). I am a licensed speech-language pathologist specializing in accent reduction. I’ve worked with with hundreds of students from all over the globe over the past 7 years, from Japan to Colombia to Slovakia and…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2019

Unwritten Chronicles is looking for voice actors

LORE ​ Everything started with just "existence" itself. "Existence" can take shape in everything, create everything and do everything it wants. It's a living being. ​ This being (Existence) started the world on its own, with nothing around him but itself. It was bored and lonely, that’s why Existence crea…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2019

I'm not an actor, but I did a SAG Commercial! $$

I know I got SUPER lucky with this opportunity... I'll tell you what, i'm in the wrong business. There's a lot of money in the film world i'm learning.) So I randomly responded to an ad for a shoot that was filming on a Saturday. (I wasn't working so I figured why not go for it) I got it! It was a testimonial style thi…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2019

Just got cast in my college stage production!

I'm a full-time theater student in LA, so even for unpaid student work the competition is fierce and there were a ton of auditioning actors, about half of whom aren't students. This is a huge thing for me, so wish me luck!

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Mar 2019

Female Voice Actor needed for a student project

We're a team of 6 animation students working on a 5 minute short film based in 1960s noir with supernatural elements. We're looking for a female voice actor to play one of our main characters. I'll attach a download link to a small presentation just talking about the movie to give anyone interested. This is not a free…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Mar 2019

CAMERA ANXIETY

I have feelings of performance anxiety... all the time. And honestly, I should be at an audition right now, and instead i'm binging youtube. ​ I have performance anxiety. IN literally everything I do. It's verging on being too difficult to deal with. My therapist has told me it's inertia - self-doubt that - the…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Mar 2019

An offer from a MGMT company

[Warning: Long Post Ahead!] Hello fellow actors! A little background on myself, I’m an aspiring actor hailing from the tiny city of Singapore and like many on here, I’ve had a fair share of experience acting; especially in theatre. Recently, I attended an MV shoot as an extra and there, I met a friend who turned out to…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Mar 2019

Looking for Voice Actors [Male/Female - Multiple Projects]

Good morning! I'm Steve and I write things: 1. Podcasts ([http://atthemidnight.com/](http://atthemidnight.com/)) 2. Short stories 3. Games ([https://sbspalding.itch.io/this-room-will-kill-you](https://sbspalding.itch.io/this-room-will-kill-you)) 4. A TV pilot for Sony Playstation ([https://www.playstation.com/en-us/net…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Mar 2019

NYC actor looking for help moving to LA??

Hi y'all I have a question. I have been an actor in NYC for about 10 years. I got my training from Marymount Manhattan College, Terry Schreiber and now Mercedes Ruehl. I've been frustrated lately I feel like I should move to have the best opportunity for film and TV. I see that most series regulars aren't cast out of h…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Mar 2019

How fucked am i with a terrible bladder(in regards to being an extra)

So i wanna start doing extra work but i have a shit bladder. Its very much an agoraphobia and overactive bladder. I have gone to doctors, worked with therapists etc. I am training to sing opera and have done opera and being on stage and doing the show my mind is taken off my bladder troubles and also its great cause yo…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Mar 2019

To NYC actors: how the hell do you pay rent?

Even with roommates, an hour away from midtown I still have to pay $800. That comes out to like, a third of my salary in my survival job, that still barely makes theater work possible. If I get sick I'll just die because insurance is a pipe dream. I work full time, come into rehearsal exhausted and come home at 1am to…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Mar 2019

When did you consider/call yourself an actor?

Happy Sunday all! ​ I just got cast for my first play as an adult (did a few when I was much younger, I'm 28 now) which is a super humbling/surreal moment for me. I've just been doing acting classes for the past year or so. ​ That got me wondering on the question of do I call myself an actor now? ​…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Mar 2019

Falsifying Credits

I recently met an actor who showed me his IMDB, I was very impressed with his credits and experience. Then I looked closer and realized some films didn’t even exist, and some he definitely weren’t in. What’s the deal with lying about credits? I’d be too scared of getting caught.

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Mar 2019

Guidance needed for demo reel!

I've done a little research but would like to ask for advice and tips from fellow redditers.. Correct me if I am wrong. -should be 60 seconds, to grasp attention span? -should be dissected to different categories of abilities? Or would it be better to create custom ones to target client's needs? -background noise/music…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Mar 2019

Survey to get insights into the voice acting industry

I am currently working on a school project about voice acting. We are collecting data regarding the choices voice actors make. Why do you operate online, offline, or both? What market segment do you operate in? If you use an online platform, do transactions ever occur outside of the platform, with clients you met throu…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Mar 2019

actor access' aircheck

Anyone used actor access' aircheck service before? What quality are the clips? Can you freely download them off your AA profile in the same quality? Would you recommend using it?

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Mar 2019

Summer Rehearsal Clothes Recommendation

So I just found out that I’ve been cast in a Shakespeare in the Park tour, which I’m very excited about! I’ve done shows in the summer before and I’ve always struggled to put together outfits that are comfy, cute, cool and work appropriate. I find my usual summer apparel (jean shorts and tank tops) are too stiff and a…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Mar 2019

Actor Social Media Thread

Well guys, It seems acting has finally come to the point where social media presence is considered important and also something casting/production may consider when making their choices. I say we support each other on that specific journey. I've been trying to get more involved in social media (namely Instagram) while…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Mar 2019

Female Voice Actor needed for Student Project

We're a team of 6 animation students working on a 5 minute short film based in 1960s noir with supernatural elements. We're looking for a female voice actor to play one of our main characters. ​ I'll attach a download link to a small presentation just talking about the movie to give anyone interested. ​ […

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Mar 2019

Itemized deductions for actor taxes- how has it changed this year?

This year I am filing jointly with my husband. In prior years, I have claimed everything I could think of as an itemized deduction and it prevented me from owing a ton of money. This year I know that the deductions are different for actors, but how? Can I still claim all my normal things (shampoo, headshots, movie tick…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Mar 2019

Looking for a fellow actor to be buddies and share stories!

Hello! I'm really looking to make a friend with a fellow actor here. I don't have a lot of friends in the acting field, so I'd love to swap stories and dreams and roles and so on. For some additional info: - I am 22 years old and a male - Attending the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in the fall - I love horror movie…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Mar 2019

I feel so bad because I betrayed acting every time and it makes me sad

So I wanted to open a post about how shitty my life are, but then in the middle of writing I started asking myself "weren't I did it before?" and the answer was simply yes. But one thing I didn't took in mind is that I am cheating my dream every time and it's killing me inside that I am just must share my feelings and…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Mar 2019

Thinking of dropping out of uni. Thoughts?

Hello, all! MT major from Wisconsin here. Been in school for three years, going to be in two more if I decide to stay, which is where my issue lies. I transferred from a smaller university to a bigger one in the state, studying MT the whole time. Found out this year that it wasn’t my old university making me miserable,…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Mar 2019

Play Club!

*Hello!* My name is Leo, I am a young actor in NYC and I recently discovered this reddit along side an idea to form a **play reading club**. We can form a group chat and every certain allotted time that we chose can have a new play from the recommendations of members and we can have timely discussions on the play and p…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Mar 2019

Self tape help Washington DC/VA area

Hey I'm back home from LA and my mgmt just sent me a self tape that I definitely need a decent reader for. Any other actors available today?

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Mar 2019

Cart Before the Horse?

I was skimming through this sub the other day and saw some discussion that kinda made me shake my head a little. It was all about the concept of needing to know the business. I certainly agree that it's important. Crucial, in fact. However, one person suggested that it is perhaps even more important than craft which re…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Mar 2019

Why would a SAG voice actor need to sign a Taft Hartly?

I was offered a role for a game that, when I asked what compensation would be done, promptly was turned away within minutes. They're reasoning was "We can only pay Sag voice actors." I said thanks for the opporutnity and no problem. Remembering I actually have several associates in it, I asked them what email they woul…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Mar 2019

"Coming out" as an actor

Hi all, I've recently been accepted into a good acting program but come from a family where acting is not something that anyone takes seriously - think theoretical physicist and teacher as my siblings - and have absolutely no idea how to tell my family. The way they see me is as a very shy person - which I'm not when I…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Mar 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Mar 21

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Mar 2019

Next step for acting?

Hey all! I’m a 23 year old actor who moved to New York City from Michigan. I’ve been acting for most of my life, mostly doing regional theatre with some professional roles in Michigan. I’m interested in moving into tv and film, but not sure where to start. Is it time to get and agent, or join SAG-AFTRA? Should I do mor…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Mar 2019

Looking to hire freelance female voice actor for a project

This is a paid role. You will be playing an young intern at a government research facility. This is a minor role (only a couple of minutes worth of audio) but is important within the scope of the project. You must have access to a professional recording setup unless you are in the Orlando, FL area. Must be willing to r…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Mar 2019

Just played Merrick now, Ladies Man?

I am a community theater actor. It has been a long road. In hs i was in drama classes. Death in the family and being hit by a car crippled me mentally. I had a 15 yr hiatus. Im acting again. Ive had a hand full of background characters. Recently I played John Merrick in the Elephant Man. It was a difficult yet rewardin…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Mar 2019

Are actors more like Sith or Jedi?

TL:DR: a silly thought experiment: are actors more like Jedi or Sith in terms of accessing/channeling emotion? Calling all my fellow Star Wars thespians! I had this interesting debate with a fellow actor friend and nerd the other day. Are actors more like Sith or more like the Jedi? The Jedi are taught to discipline th…