Acting forums, all in one place

19,653 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Apr 2019

I can't remember how to act...

I feel so stifled right now and i don't know what it is? I’ve been training consistently for about a year now. The first two classes I’ve had were with one teacher and now I’m in the advanced class with a teacher I’ve never worked with before and I feel like I’ve never acted in my life. I feel so uncomfortable and emba…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Apr 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Apr 11

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Apr 2019

Portland actor in LA for a family vacation this summer - what to do?

Hello! This is a very early post since I'm not sure how long I'd be in LA, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any Facebook groups where casting calls are posted for immediate LA area student films? I'll be in LA for a brief time this summer with my family and I'd really love to squeeze in as much acting stuff as I c…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Apr 2019

What is the process of taking headshots for Actors Access or Backstage like?

I signed up with Central Casting about a month ago and got hired for two background roles since then. While working someone I was talking to said I ought to sign up to Backstage and I saw people here liked Actors Access so I figured I’d try either one out and hopefully make enough money to pay for the other. I’m not en…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Apr 2019

20 years old and I want to start acting

Hey all! I’m sure this question has popped up on this sub thousands of times by now but I wanted to ask my own questions. I’m a 20 year old male currently living in California and as you could guess, I want to pursue acting as a possible career. I’ve just always wanted to do it because it seems so challenging yet so fu…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2019

Looking for some tips for the audition room?

1. First and foremost, KNOW THE MATERIAL. Being off-book or as close to it as possible frees up your mind for emotion and channeling your energy more efficiently in the moment. It is near impossible to be living a role while you are grasping to recall dialogue. 2. BE ON TIME. Plan ahead for travel, parking and time to…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2019

Making the most when your partner doesn't know their lines

I have a big scene with an awesome person who has been struggling with their lines in class. It was really painful from my side and as a new actor I didnt really know what to do, I just tried to hold onto the scene but I just couldnt be present which is what I really wanted to work on this week. I had no idea what to f…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2019

Freelancing on facebook rather than using an agent

Hi everyone. I'm a stage actor and would like to do film as well. I was talking to a fellow actor friend who recommended that I don't get an agent. His reasoning was this: we live in a city that is a smaller market than New York, LA, or Chicago. He said he's got an agent, but often books auditions and gigs by himself t…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2019

Barry is so good

All the bits about actors and the crap we go through. Oh man. Barry is perfect. That is so us.

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Apr 2019

[QUESTION] Would an actor/actress agree to act in this for free?

Hi everyone, I need advice. So I'm an aspiring filmmaker and I would like to shoot a short film and am trying to get an actor and an actress to be in it only for copy, credits, meal. Whenever I told the project about some actors who were interested I didn't hear from them since. I would like to tell you want I 'm askin…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Apr 2019

My director doesn't direct. Huge rant here.

I'm playing a lead role in a feature length film directed by a high-schooler (unpaid). I was apprehensive about accepting the part, but I deferred to optimism and gave the kid the benefit of the doubt. Now, I'm afraid that I was totally wrong. The director has no idea what they are doing. The biggest problem is they ha…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Apr 2019

What do actors that don't smoke do when their character needs to?

Like say that someone's play a Vietnam soldier and for this role they need to smoke but in real life they are against smoking. I found fake gag toy cigarettes, for pranks and stuff, but I don't believe they actually emit smoke. Same thing for cigars and blunts. What would actors use in these situations? Is there a spec…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Apr 2019

Actor here, looking into beginning Voice Acting. Several novice questions.

I'm a regular ol' Film/Stage actor and always looking for different gigs to make ends meet that don't involve food service or manual labor. I've been thinking about voice acting for a while since I'll see casting calls for VO work alongside my regular casting calls. Got a few questions before diving in though. 1. Do yo…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Apr 2019

Which acting class do I continue? They meet at the same time.

I'm new to the world of acting. I live in a mid-western city of over 500,000 people, so we're pretty sizeable, but not huge by any means. When searching for acting classes, I found two organizations that seemed legitimate. ​ I had signed up for one of the classes from agency A, but they dropped the class when no…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Apr 2019

Concentration exercises?

Do you guys have any links or some good concentration exercises for actors? For focus and shutting off the noise around you...

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Apr 2019

I want to do acting but my parents aren’t supportive

Guys I really need some advice, I’m 15 and I want to do acting like for short films, movies,and tv but I haven’t done any of that before meaning I don’t have a resume and I don’t have any headshots. My parents only want me to focus on learning but I don’t want to. I always wanted to be an actor but my parents won’t tak…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Apr 2019

Is Master Class on acting worth it?

Great actors like Cumberbatch, Natalie Portman, etc, have their Master Class already. Just wanted to ask if anyone has already bought them and is it worth it?

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Apr 2019

Potential Scam Warning! Backstage

Hey, so this is a throwaway because I don't want to get hounded by these people.. I saw a post the other day about a non-union casting on Backstage advertising a feature film called "Wa\*\*nder" (I added the asterisks so, again, I won't be hounded). I saw it again advertised by backstage on my fb and decided to investi…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Apr 2019

'There are no small roles'

I've seen this bounce around acting communities like ours for ages, and I'm curious as to the validity of it. Does having nothing but small 5-or-less roles on your resume actually lead to larger roles? And if it's happened to you, how? Or is it just one of those slightly hokum phrases, meant to keep actors spirits up i…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Apr 2019

how do you even know if you're good?

I definitely know I dont suck. even after some good bookings I'm now in a dry spell and I'm losing grip on what is good. I can recognize when other actors are great, but how can I tell if I'm actually doing the right work? or if its believable? how do I know if I'm doing good professional quality work? My barometer of…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Apr 2019

Drama School Graduates of Reddit. Was going to drama school a mistake?

Current UK Drama School student here, loving my course and meeting some wonderful people. ​ I'm keen to hear from other graduates (not just from the UK) about their time in Drama School and what they felt about their training after they left. Are you still a working actor? Did you struggle to find work? Did you…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Apr 2019

The Casting Process From Hell (Is This Normal?)

I am really upset, and feel numb, and don't really know what to do. I am hoping you guys can give me some insight into what the hell happened. ​ DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a seasoned actress. I'm just starting out, and have had a few bit parts in a few commercials for local businesses and one big national commercial.…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Apr 2019

How do I become Sag-Aftra eligible & why is this such a confusing subject?

I have a lot of union actor friends who are down to make a short for me to be in? Does that mean anything at all? This subject is so confusing. BUT this obviously will make you more appealing to agents so hoping someone can provide a detailed response. ​ Thanks, KD ​ Sorry for grammar & punctuation

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Apr 2019

Tips on how to FEEL the character for a beginning actor? Having trouble

So I’m sort of on my beginning journey with my first year of auditioning for things and one thing I have trouble with is sort of feeling the character naturally? If anyone understands, while I’ll be performing my monologue I tend to sort of think ‘right what emotion am I portraying’ and I’ll tend to think the next line…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Apr 2019

any other potheads new to LA wanna link up?

whats up guys, 30 actor / bartender, just moved here from NYC a few months ago. actually posted on here once before and met some cool people. i'm still getting established out here, just moved into my own place in ktown and have the weekend pretty free so I figured I'd post again see if anybody else, specifically pothe…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Apr 2019

5 Tips For Actors Feeling Uninspired

As actors we crave expression, connection and opportunities to work on our craft. We search for gigs, send out our headshots and fill our heads with theory and technique. And we wait. Soon we might feel a little discouraged, a little stagnant and a little fearful that our dream to be an actor is not going to happen. Do…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Apr 2019

Help with headshot, character types, age range please

Hi everyone, beginner actor here. I took my first round of headshots and although I know they could be better, my acting mentor recommended not spending a lot for my first set because if/when I get representation they'll want me to retake them anyway and I can spend more for better quality then. We've narrowed it down…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Apr 2019

Hey! I'm practically new to voice acting and would like some tips/general advice.

tl;dr at the bottom Hey, my name is Keoki and I am an aspiring vocal talent. My instagram is chock full of me doing covers of songs, and I've done a little bit of voice acting because I really want to pursue it. Right now all I have is a desktop that was mid-tier in 2015, a razer headset that's hooked up via on-board a…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Apr 2019

Questions to ask for a talent agent meeting.

Hi! I have a meeting with a talent agent in LA next week. What advice do you have on questions I should definitely be asking them? Honestly, feeling a little lukewarm on the agency as a whole but taking the meeting to feel it out. Some questions I’m thinking about asking: - are you a sag affiliated agency? (That is a t…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Apr 2019

Scene Production Company in LA & NYC | Scene Creation Services

Looking for scene creation services? REELARC is a scene production company located in Los Angeles & New York City. We specialize in producing & editing high-quality actor demo reels. We create the original scenes for actors to showcase their talent. To know more, visit www.reelarc.com

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Apr 2019

Young Adult Pilot Bookings 2019

In [2017](https://www.reddit.com/r/acting/comments/676o3e/20something_pilot_bookings_final/) and [2018](https://www.reddit.com/r/acting/comments/8bpw52/young_adult_pilot_bookings_2018/), I made lists of actors in their 20s and then young adult actors aged roughly 23-33 who booked leads and series regulars in pilots and…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Apr 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Apr 4

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Apr 2019

More payment horror stories

I should really know better than to think something worthwhile could come out of peopleperhour but shit, I was wrong again lol and that was naive of me, I admit that. This guy called Nathan Banks invited me to a post where he claims he has "joined forces with Hasbro and Youtube" to produce an animated Cluedo adaptation…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Apr 2019

Open Call-Out to any Actor on Reddit

I've got a question for any Actor on Facebook, Reddit or Twitter who has had orthodontic work done on their teeth to correct an overbite and still managed to do active principal work for Film/Television. As braces tend to show up significantly on-camera, I'm curious as to what processes you went through to overcome thi…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Apr 2019

Is it worth upgrading from the Blue Yeti Pro (USB) to the Rode NT1?

Hello guys and girls, I am an aspiring voice actor busting my chops while at college to on the side learn, practice, and audition for roles in this amazing craft. I have reached a point however, where people hear my work and say they really like it, however I’m being held back by the Blue Yeti’s unbelievable sensitivit…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Apr 2019

Acting and Ethnicity?? Where Should I Draw the Line??

Hi, im very new to acting and trying to discover my range as an actor. Inevitably I had to consider cultural background and race. All my life people have mistaken my ethnic background. Im from a south asian background but for whatever reason I dont look like ur typical south asian guy because people have genuinely mist…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Apr 2019

SAG Short - Can I become eligible or not?

I hope this question is pretty straightforward. I have read from sources other than the SAG website that SAG shorts do NOT grant eligibility to join the union. However, I don't see anything on this [SAG website page](https://www.sagaftra.org/membership-benefits/steps-join) to suggest this. Just that I need to work one…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2019

Does head size matter?

Just wondering for actors/actresses, does head size matter? I am self conscious because I was recently randomly told my head is small ( I wear size 7 1/8-3/8 hats for reference. ) I never thought about it ever, but now that it was mentioned I have become a little obsessed with it, and It does seem famous actors do have…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2019

Do you think a monotone voice would be desirable?

I posted this on r/askreddit but that's not the right place so it got removed. Sorry if I don't format this right this is like my 4th post I was interested in this new line of work but as the title suggests... I am monotone! My question was if you ever heard of a successful voice actor being monotone? I tried research…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2019

Background Acting work and inappropriate touching

I was on a film set yesterday as a non-union background actress - and one of the guys I was paired with in the scene would touch me repeatedly during each take in a way that made me extremely uncomfortable for most of the 15-hour shoot. On my legs, on my back, and in between takes would repeatedly brush up against me a…