Acting forums, all in one place

19,654 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 12 May 2019

Social networking for actors thread...let's connect online.

There's something like this on this Facebook group I belong to. I looked but didn't find anything similar, however if there is and I've just missed it please direct me to it. I just figure that so much of the indie film world relies upon networking ourselves...it would be good to connect with as many people with simila…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 May 2019

Audio Drama Server - Voice Actors Welcome :)

Hello fellow voice actors! So some friends and I write Audio Dramas and created a group and it unexpectedly turned into a little community. We're focused on Audio Drama writing and production (Stuff like Homecoming, Nightvale, etc are what we are into)... That being said, we are also doing things like - \> Table Reads…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 May 2019

Looking for short monologue suggestions

I wanted to see if anyone had any good suggestions towards the ongoing search for good monologues. I’m a male actor and I’m currently looking for both dramatic and comedic monologues from film/tv. I’m specifically looking for shorter monologues of the one minute variety, geared towards auditions, etc. I have several bo…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 May 2019

Which type of actor would people find more attractive out of these two ?

1) Someone who's been apart of a Drama club since 5 and performed in plays throughout High School, going on to do Drama at University level. 2) A newcomer who is early 20s just been doing acting classes since 18, as well as having headshots, reel etc. I know this might sound like a stupid question but I just feel like…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 May 2019

What Advice Do You Have For Writers Writing Scripts for Actors?

Hey, aspiring writer here from /screenwriting, and I just wanted to put somethings in perspective for myself by asking the reddit acting community. What advice do you have for writers out there in writing scripts? Should a script in your professional opinion be easy to memorize or study? Should it be dialogue heavy or…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 May 2019

How?

I have always loved acting, I have always wanted to be an actor. But how do you find a good agent? I've been in university the past few years and I really want to do some practical things to get me back performing. I am UK, Liverpool based. But I just want to know, how do you find the right agent? Or even an agent at t…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 May 2019

Why do some voice actors get so flighty

Like I've asked a few voice actors how they got into voiceover and how they got started, and they ignore the question and I've even had one person block me over it. I'm sure they get asked it a lot, but blocking me? Lmao

Reddit

Reddit · 12 May 2019

Is the only/best technique playing yourself in a given circumstance? I just don’t relate. In school I was taught character analysis and to only inject parts of me that make sense. It was a lot of imagination and research. Now it seems playing oneself is p

Or am I misunderstanding something? Another post made me think about this. Examples: Zack Galifinakas The Rock. James Franco Tom Cruise Keanu Reeves Al Pacino They play the same person in every movie. It bores me. Yes they make truthful reactions which is an authentic performance...but only as themselves. They wear dif…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 May 2019

How many hours on average do you spend daily watching movies?

I know film making courses used to include a lot of movie watching, just curious for those here that have gone to acting school or already attended acting school how many hours per day do or did you spend matching movies/series? And for all those self teaching themselves, what’s your average time/day for the last coupl…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 May 2019

my career as an actor is over before starting

I'm 21, living in New Orleans. My resume is interesting in the fact that I've taken many college courses on acting. Funny thing is, I never booked an audition either in college plays or the (approximately) six auditions I've been to. I was either always unprepared, barely knowing my lines, or- no I was mostly unprepare…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 May 2019

Are there any threads for UK based actors?

Just starting out and wondered if there are any communities/threads/groups (whatever there called, i'm new to Reddit lol) Ive found this one really useful however because most people are American there things that Britain doesn't have, e.g. SAG. Just wanted to find out about acting here and hopefully have more focus be…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 May 2019

Hiring actor for skyrim follower

Pay is upwards of $50, there is less than an hour of lines I need recorded for the follower, a few hundred lines currently. Looking for someone with a cynical sort of style, something akin to Deadpool's speech and mannerisms. Message me here or on discord at FrostBlood #5640

Reddit

Reddit · 10 May 2019

I made a fan!!!

TL;DR A pretty successful actor saw me in a show and was very excited and proud to tell me he saw me and gave me words of encouragement. Back story: I work at a restaurant as a bartender part time. I have a customer who comes in every Sunday who has been in a ton of very successful movies and has been and is currently…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 May 2019

Quick question

In your own opinion, do you guys think that the acting industry is saturated with actors? I’m quite curious to know what you guys think.

Reddit

Reddit · 10 May 2019

Potential move within a year because of Georgia "heartbeat" law. Recommendations?

Hello everyone, I am a male actor who has a wife. I am newly wed and we are definitely planning to have kids. And given the fact that miscarraige can happen during a pregnancy, no matter how small the chances. And on top of that, a woman now has to sit through an interrogation afterwards to prove that the miscarraige w…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 May 2019

Turning the monologue inward

Hello, I study Kevin Spacey's masterclass on acting(if you want I can send you the files). At some point, he ask the actress to sit down and put all the energy she puts outside to inside. ​ I didn't understand what he means. After this, character became sad at some points contrary to her first performance. Where…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 May 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - May 9

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 May 2019

Looking for Voice acting Roles

I am an aspiring voice actor in Okinawa Japan. I currently do a weekly radio show for the US military on Okinawa and a YouTube gaming/comedy channel as well. If there are any projects, big or small, I’d love to audition for it. If anyone has any recommendations or advice or links to send me in the right direction, it w…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 May 2019

Actors, how do you like to be communicated with?

Hey all!. I recently filmed a short film project, ever since graduating from college (2 years ago) I've been sorely focused on corporate and event work.. One thing I could take away from this experience was my communication skills with the actors. I've been so focused on honing my skill technically it never occurred to…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 May 2019

First time ever voice acting, gold for any constructive criticism, please!

In the spirit of no free work, I'd like to offer a virtual token of my appreciation to any experienced voice actors out there that would be open to giving some feedback. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeol6jxGDHDfXhkvcI9Chyg/videos](https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeol6jxGDHDfXhkvcI9Chyg/videos) Can you check out o…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 May 2019

Vent - Last minute self tape auditions

I just want to take a moment to vent, and hopefully some people will hear me out and I know some people will say just deal with it because this is my job as an actor. I've been in the game in LA now for close to 5 years this September. SAG actor, and regularly goes out for major co-star, guest star, feature film roles.…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 May 2019

Acting: How does one fail.

Hey guys, random question but still entirely about acting. How do you think "one" fails at acting?Every day actors are needed everywhere and there is a huge market out there, and yet some people, that are heavily into it, never get their chance and ultimately quit something that was considered as their dream or goal an…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 May 2019

Vancouver agencies

Hi I I'm 23yo (mixed) dude from Austria and I'll be going to Vancouver for minimum a year. Not knowing anyone or having any connection in the industry there I was wondering if any of you guys know any "high end" agencies that might get you somewhere. I am not new as an actor but I'm rather new as in professionals paid…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 May 2019

Looking for actors

Hi, I'm writing a script and I'd like to test out how the scenes read and play out. Please comment below or PM me if you'd like to read.

Reddit

Reddit · 8 May 2019

Formal school/individualized classes

As someone with absolutely no training/education in acting whatsoever, but recently decided to dive headfirst into an ambition of becoming an actor for film and TV, what would be the more intelligent move: Take the extra time to get formal education in acting, or sign up for/pay for classes that are specifically direct…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 May 2019

Why do hit TV-show stars' careers almost always flop??

Of course, there might be some exceptions and i'm not saying they don't get ANY work anymore but compared to their TV show success days their careers are a complete flop. As much as i love Jennifer Aniston i dare to say that about her too. She was in a couple of movies but mainly the Brangelina scandal and her commerci…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 May 2019

What is acting? Stanislavski-inspired Process Map

Hey r/acting, Back in June 2016, I had hit a brick wall with acting. I was 7 years into it professionally, and I had trained at A.C.T. and with Larry Moss and some of the top acting coaches in LA, and basically, I was more confused about acting than when I first started. I always felt that the hardest part of acting is…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 May 2019

How much should you try to help change the script because it's complete shit?

I've just come from working on a project with almost the worst script I've ever read, I wasn't acting though. It's at uni and we didn't know how bad the guy's writing was when we let him write the script. None of us really liked it but every revision was cringeworthy so we just let it drop. We had an actor drop out so…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 May 2019

So I am gonna try and pitch my idea for a series

I have a friend in the music industry I let delve into an idea I’ve had for an unbelievably long time. He told me I should either film the pilot or make a short film for the idea then pitch it to networks. Which is not a bad idea in the slightest. I’ve been trying to get people to work with me but I live in Atlanta and…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 May 2019

Is hair important for being a successful actor?

So my hairline has receded a bit and my remaining hair on top is pretty thin. So recently I started shaving my head and I was wondering if anyone knows if a lack of nice natural hair usually complicates getting cast or considered? Thanks for any advice!

Reddit

Reddit · 7 May 2019

Question: How would you play this character?

I'm a writer. I just wanted to see some takes on a character actors might have. This is her intro: ​ LILA, early 20s, Nietzsche T-shirt, caffeinated.

Reddit

Reddit · 7 May 2019

Monologue Help

I am a late 20's actor in desperate need for a comedic monologue. I am foremost a singer/musical theater actor, but I have an audition for the show Pippin (dream role) and they want a monologue. This is new for me, since every other show I have done just requests 16-32 bars of music for an audition. The show is about a…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 May 2019

New Actor need help

(Sorry for long post, and I've been reading through the reddit and know there are a million posts similar to this) ​ New Actor, just doing this on the side to get a bit of extra cash while in Uni; but I do take it seriously. I'm struggling finding true work; I joined LA Casting and Submitted for a few jobs on ac…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 May 2019

Advice on Getting Started With Skin Issues

Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker who has popped in to this thread here and there over the years and have really enjoyed a lot of what I've seen from you all here, from head shot advice to skits that people share of themselves. It's been very informative and supportive for people (for the most part), which is grea…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 May 2019

Wanting to become a voice actor.

My family keeps telling me that its unrealistic to be a voice actor but it's my dream to become one. I'm graduating out of high school in a few weeks and would love some advice on where to start.

Reddit

Reddit · 7 May 2019

What is the purpose of asking about type?

I see posts all the time of actors uploading their headshot for feedback, which I understand, but also ask for opinion on their type, which I don't understand. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think that this type of feedback would do more to limit you than benefit you. Meaning, if you get the feedback that your type…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 May 2019

Leap or not to leap, apathy is the question.

So presonal/real talk for a sec: I am beyond miserable at my current job. As most people here, my dream is to be a successful actor. From the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep thats all I want to do: Act, Direct, Produce ( I cant write lol). I cant just act to release some creative energy. I want more, im su…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 May 2019

Yale summer conservatory or Stella Adler?

I got into Yale's summer conservatory and I have an interview set up for Stella Adler's summer program too that I feel pretty good about. Which one would guys advise? I really want to grow even more as an actor and want the best training possible and I am not sure which of the two is better. I am huge fan of many actor…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 May 2019

Feedback please - 1st Script Reading

​ ​ https://i.redd.it/oul638xwpuw21.jpg ​ Hi ! I'm an actress living in Philly. Just wrote this script in the parking lot after work one day and decided to do an impromptu reading. Let me know what you think of the story line, the acting, the lighting, angle, etc. I wanted to reshoot it to make it…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 May 2019

Female voice over.

We are making this advertisement for a coffee roasting company and we will pay a female voice actress to say, “You’re right. This is the best coffee!” We’ll pay you $20 in PayPal since this is a small part and you will be credited as well. It will be in YouTube. Contact me at devinmillarmusic@gmail.com if you’re intere…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 May 2019

Putting yourself on Tape & Acting: Requires Hitting another character

For a kiss-scene I take in the moment and go on with the scene. But violent hitting? Any suggestions on how to do this? I have to go into a violent outburst (like from calm level 1 to 10) in a heartbeat and screaming and curious if you knew of any videos on how to do this. Obviously not attack casting/ha ha ha but seri…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 May 2019

how do you even BECOME a big fish in a small pond

i have very little theatrical experience. but i know that acting is what i’ve wanted to do my whole life, i’ve just been pushing it off for art since i’m very shy. people tell me all the time about how good of an actress i would be. i get told by everyone in the theater department at my school that im pretty, i have a…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 May 2019

Hand eye coordination as an actor

How important is it? My hand eye coordination isn’t great. I suck at sports, have bad handwriting, etc but it hasn’t hampered me from practically any role I’ve done yet. Yet, somebody on this sub said I probably won’t become a professional until I improve my hand eye coordination. The convo came up because I told them…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 May 2019

Getting into acting at almost 24?

As a kid, my dream was to become an actor (cliche, right). Anyway, I never told my parents or anyone though because I was afraid they'd say that it was dumb or make fun of me for that being my dream. I had planned to take drama during middle school, but the middle school I ended up going didn't offer drama. So I though…