Acting forums, all in one place

19,654 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 6 May 2019

I'd like to start a voice acting youtube channel but I'm not sure where to begin

As the title says, I'd like to start a voice acting youtube channel. I'm just a hobbyist, I don't intend to become a professional, so this would just be for fun and to motivate me to get more practice in. I'm just not sure what sort of content to include on it. I would like to do some comic dubs, or voice my own animat…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 May 2019

Is it hard for "Indigenous Americas" actors to find jobs?

From my limited experience with Hollywood movies and TV (I'm not from the US), whenever there's a Native (American, Canadian, etc.) actor, they are almost guaranteed to play a Native and to have something to do with Native culture: tribes, dances around a fire, rituals, myths, etc. It's not like a white, black or Asian…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 May 2019

Moving to LA and Advice for a Beginner

Hi all! As my title says, I will be moving to LA this August to start my MA in Public Relations at USC with a focus in the entertainment industry. This field is my career passion, but a side dream of mine has always been to be an actress. I only had the chance to start acting in high school, where I acted in my school’…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 May 2019

Importance of posture

I just saw my performance on a feature film I worked on last summer. This was very special because I was the Music supervisor & on set watching this A lister act. The actor that was working with him in the scene couldn’t speak English well & the star got pissed, so the director asked me to do it. No lines, no rehearsal…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 May 2019

My first audition. Would this monologue be appropriate?

Hello, so soon, in about a week, i've got an audition. It's something i've always been curious about and wanted to try. I saw the ad on Facebook for CGTV, i think it's sponsored by Disney. The age limit is 26. I'm 21. They also sent a list of commercials for us to read for the part. It's not for a specific part, it's k…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 May 2019

Seeking voice actors

Hello, I am making an animation youtube series about the SCP Foundation. If you know some lore or have heard of the Foundation before please DM me. I will give you a list of available roles. You dont have to have much experience in voice acting, just know the basics.

Reddit

Reddit · 5 May 2019

What's actually SAG-AFTRA ?

So I'm from Europe and in one year I'll be living in USA. So if I get a SAG card does it help me to get roles easier? Am I represented by an agent that works on sag-aftra ? If I don't get a card or if I don't want a membership will casting directors see first actors that have a SAG card ? Can you also write me (if you…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 May 2019

Anyone here a Latino American female actress who doesn’t speak Spanish? What has been your experience in the industry? Do you feel more roles are being casted nowadays where they don’t ask you to use a broken accent and play stereotypes like hookers, maid

Because everything I read is negative . Remezca magazine and Latina magazine and other articles have featured interviews by America Ferrera, Eva Longoria, Jimmy Smit and other minorities who are American before all else and don’t speak the language of their grandparents etc. anyhow they all say it’s super hard to get c…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 May 2019

Is it possible to capitalize on looking like a famous actor?

I constantly get people telling me I look like a famous actor. Not only do I physically look like him and am the same height, but I’m told I have certain intangible qualities about my body language and demeanor that are similar to his. Maybe this is a silly question, but is there a way to capitalize on this? Whether as…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 May 2019

Using JCPenney Portraits for Headshots?

I'm a college student who is on a really tight budget right now, but I want to participate in a local cattle call that's coming up. I only have a couple of school production credits and a student short film credit. Knowing my budget and experience, is it still acceptable to use JCPenney Portraits to use as my headshots…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 May 2019

Could I use a YouTube prank video I was in as part of my reel?

I was hired as an actor to get pranked by some dudes acting all crazy in an elevator and then have them reveal it was a prank. I think I did a great job acting scared and the comments on the video even mention a lot how scared I looked, they better have paid me out well, I seemed terrified, etc. Do you think I could ad…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 May 2019

Searching for an Agent/Agencies

Do I have what it takes to be an actor ? [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZwe4oKNcfk](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZwe4oKNcfk)

Reddit

Reddit · 4 May 2019

Best summer acting programs? (LA, NYC etc)

Hi everyone I’m an 18 year old student who’s interested in acting for film/tv. I wanted to take part in a intensive acting program to strengthen my acting skills and really begin my journey as someone who is interested in acting to become a well-trained actor. Do you guys have any recommendations on studios and summer…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 May 2019

I need some advice from you guys

So let me set the scene here: I’m a 14 year old European kid and I’ve always wanted to become a doctor, for the soul purpose of helping people. Also bare in mind that I have been raised by two upper middle class parents and that I can do almost anything academic with my life at this point. So last weekend I went to see…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 May 2019

Why do actors sometimes not look at their fellow actors when acting?

I have been acting since 6th grade (Freshman in College now) but I never got an answer as to why some actors do this. When I look it up on Google, I can't seem to find an answer. My assumption was so they don't laugh maybe? Because I know it's a bit difficult to not laugh looking at each other for some people. Other th…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 May 2019

Could a successful 80's film actor live comfortably off just the SAG residuals?

I'm curious - so you have a successful 1980's film actor (for example a brat pack member, though all of those folks went on to do at least some stuff afterwards), who only had film success in the 1980's - say 10 successful films that are still shown on TV etc - would their residual checks keep them in millionaire statu…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 May 2019

[PAID] Looking for sarcastic BBC news style voice. 6 words.

If this violates any rules please let me know. I'm looking for a voice over for a small "machinima" clip (cinema based on gaming footage). This is non-commercial - I'm just working on the next step in creating cinematics with a little bit of dialogue. Two sentences and 6 words total. I'm not sure what the rate is for v…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 May 2019

Looking for a German speaking voice actor for a short explainer video (2 min)

Hi everyone, I am looking for a voice actor that will do the German voiceover on a short explainer video for a software product. Please provide sound samples and your rate for the whole production of the 2 min video. Unfortunately we are quite tight on schedule and we will need it beginning of next week. Thanks

Reddit

Reddit · 3 May 2019

[PAID] German Voice Over for Short Explainer Video (1 min)

Hi everyone, I am looking for a voice actor that will do the German voiceover on a short explainer video for a software product. Please provide sound samples and your rate for the whole production of the 2 min video. Unfortunately we are quite tight on schedule and we will need it beginning of next week. Thanks

Reddit

Reddit · 3 May 2019

My biggest problem with acting...how do you ignore The Camera?

So I think I have the ability to reach those depths of emotion needed to be an actor. However, the problem I have is being too conscious of the camera. Even a live audience does not throw me off as much as that big black hole, the camera, following me everywhere. I can't train my eyes to make it invisible. It's like a…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 May 2019

SAG Eligibility - What Union Vouchers Count?

Hi all! I'm currently a non-SAG actor, and I just finished background work on a feature film & a TV show in NY - I was hired as Union background for both, and was booked for 1 day in the film and 1 day in the show. Of course, I got a Union Voucher for each day on set (2 total). ​ I also received another Union Vo…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 May 2019

New to acting

I've been going for auditions for a while now but the few times I've been picked I couldn't accept the role for certain reasons so I've never actually been In a film set or film before. I've realized quite a few things about my acting ability during these auditions. For me the major obstacle is how stiff I am movement…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 May 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - May 2

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 May 2019

How much should I charge per line?

I'm voicing a character in an animation. It started out as a one-time thing that I was doing just for fun, but now that the creator set up a Patreon, she is paying the actors, and the animation has become a series. I've never done voice work before, and I have no idea what to charge. She says the other actors are charg…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 May 2019

Looking for a voice actor for an explainer video (2 min) on short notice

Hi everyone, ​ I hope this place is the right one. If not, please let me know. I am looking for a voice actor that will do the voiceover on a short explainer video for a software product. ​ Is this the right place to ask for offers (via PM)? If so, please provide sound samples and your rate for the whole…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 May 2019

How does one grow as a person when you have a full time job?

Hello, I'm an older actor who is trying to get ready for URTA. My thing is I'm in a place where I work 6 days a week (which is great since I didnt have a job at all reliable before)and I'm usually exhausted after work. How do I get the life experience I need to fuel my workand get monologues ready? Thanks

Reddit

Reddit · 2 May 2019

A question on Demo Reels

Ok, so this may be an incredibly "newbie" question. I had no problem finding the lines for my demo reel, but the issue is, how do I go about finding the contexts for the lines? I can put an inflection to my lines but I need to find the right context so I can do the PROPER inflection with my own voice, not mimicking the…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 May 2019

Any LA peeps wanna catch up for coffee or something with an Australian actor/YouTuber?

Hope everyone's well! ​ I work full time in online video (YouTube). I create my own content and help with other people's content - I act, write, and direct as well. Here in Australia, I've been working on quite a few short films recently, some have been nominated for awards & others have won awards. I'm working…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 May 2019

Best acting "manual" to read to work with British actors?

I'm working towards directing some short films and I want to increase my vocabulary for communicating with actors as much as possible. The UK's much less Method oriented than the US, so I was thinking that maybe Meisner's book would be the best one to read? And/or The Actor And The Target?

Reddit

Reddit · 2 May 2019

A thought for you guys! If you've decided to move to LA to be an actor, the best thing you can do before you go is read a few books about the BUSINESS of acting so that you're prepared for the most important part of getting started, which is knowing how t

You can be the most talented actor on the planet but if you don't know how you should handle getting a commercial agent / making a reel / coming across as a professional in your communications your road is going to be harder than it has to be! Just want to help!

Reddit

Reddit · 1 May 2019

I need your help guys :)

Hello! I need an advice of some sort. I got accepted to study acting in the UK and they want my audition tape... I need to record a scene from a movie or tv series. That's where the complications come in. I'm disabled, as in Dr. House level of disability. I use a cane usually because of the pain management problems, in…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 May 2019

What do you want/need in an acting class/bootcamp

I work at an acting coaching studio and we are currently putting together an acting bootcamp. Our thoughts were to hold a session once a week for six weeks and eventually bring in casting directors for at least two of the sessions at the end. Max class size of 12. We want to focus on not just the acting, but also on in…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 May 2019

You are here podcast (Film & Acting Podcast)

Hello everyone, new to this community and reddit looking to introduce you guys to a podcast that focuses on film and acting that these guys has been doing the past few months. The podcast is called the "You are here podcast" by Mike Nowicki (Filmmaker) and Dave Volino (Actor). The focus is inspiring upcoming actors and…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 May 2019

LA actors

How did you guys find your talent agent? Do I need to book on my own before I contact agencies for my resume? I currently only have theatre wor,k no film.

Reddit

Reddit · 1 May 2019

I’m realising to grow as an actor I must grow in myself first.

I’m realising more and more how the defence mechanisms my ego has created to protect me, are leading me far away from true honesty and vulnerability. I’ve always been a perfectionist in some area’s of my life, mainly area’s I care deeply for- On set the other day I wasn’t able to reach a point emotionally that I wanted…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 May 2019

How to know when to start looking for agents?

I know a lot of actors are approached by agents. I've worked on maybe 15 films and I feel like I have a lot of experience, how do I know when I cross the threshold and I should start looking for an agent?

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Apr 2019

Am i wasting my life? Is this all there is?

So i'm a 23 year old male from Argentina. All my life was based on passing school and doing whatever was the right thing to do for my parents, or society. I've played basketball 11 years cause my father wanted me to. There was this moment, kind of an insight, where i thought... is this what i want? Does this make me ha…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Apr 2019

I'm stuck in an awful perpetual cycle and I don't know how to get out.

Hi, I think I'm fucked. So, let me begin, I graduated my drama school back in 2017 and by the autumn, despite my lack of experience, I'd gotten myself a pretty reputable agent - if you're going by how successful his clients are. The first thing he asked me was to get some new headshots for 2018, fair enough, so, by Jan…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Apr 2019

Unpopular Truth: A Voice Actor will likely make more money on Fiverr than on VDC

I just did some math and came to the conclusion that I can make way more on Fiverr than on vdc. ​ The math: Yearly cost for VDC is $399 A decent conversion rate for VDC is 2% An audition takes around 10 min 50 auditions for a gig= 500 min (8.3 hours) Most gigs on VDC range between $100-$350 Average time to produ…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Apr 2019

Question about Edge Studios

Hey all, I am very new to VO. I actually no experience in VO, however I am a classically trained actor with several years of experience and have been looking to move my career towards VO. I am very curious about Edge Studios and their Investigate Voice Over Class and am wondering if any of you have any experience with…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Apr 2019

Thinking of moving to Atlanta from Los Angeles for acting work? Thoughts?

Hi there! I'm 29 and a female. I grew up in Los Angeles my entire life. I grew up around the industry, and my father was also a constantly working actor. When I graduated theatre school several years ago, I thought booking work would come quickly for me, since it seemed so effortless in my dad's career.... It did not f…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Apr 2019

MADIVA Podcast Season 2 - tomorrow!

Hallo! V excited to say that the free podcast MADIVA (Modern Audio Drama Indie Voice Acting ) is kicking off Season 2 this week. Tomorrow for Patreons and May the 4th be with you for the rest of the world! This season I have done interviews with some ammaaazing Voice Actors from indie audio so do jump in and have a lis…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Apr 2019

why does it feel like the most successful never struggled?

idk, it's weird, looking at peoples imdb's and wiki's and they're so different from your own experience: like, i get it, fame and being a working actor are different things but i do find it odd that a lot of the most successful actors didn't even seem to really struggle at all: like, game of thrones: Kit Harington grad…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Apr 2019

How do I go about finding auditions in Las Vegas?

I live in Las Vegas Nevada and Ive been an actor since I was 14 (I'm 24 now) but I havent acted in a while and most of my stuff then was just highschool plays which Im not even sure count. I recently moved here and Ive decided that Im tired of just working all the time and not putting any time or effort into my longter…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Apr 2019

City Headshots?

Hi, I'm new to the industry and have been looking for a headshot photographer for my very first headshots. I came across City Headshots in NYC and I like the look of them. What do you guys think? Do you have any experience with them? Here's their website: https://www.cityheadshots.com/ Thanks! Edit: This is the direct…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Apr 2019

I want to be an actor in the future but don‘t know how.

Hey people, first of all excuse any language mistakes I‘m not a native speaker. Now when thats out of the way I can ask you my question. I‘ve had some roles in the theater, but I also want to explore the film world and see what thats about. I just finished school and want to audition for an acting-school in Berlin( I‘m…