Acting forums, all in one place

19,654 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 27 May 2019

Blue Snowball?

I've heard a lot about the Blue Snowball mic being good for beginning voice actors. I've read some positive and some negative reviews on it, the positives often being about how it's good for beginners and how it's affordable and the negatives often being about how it has a low bass and that it's a bit fragile. Does any…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 May 2019

Actors Access Media Question

If you send someone a link to your Actors Access profile (and if they are members too), can they automatically see all your media attachments and photos? I'm having trouble finding the answer and managed to just confuse myself while looking since some sites let you choose which media things are actually attached to you…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 May 2019

Introverted Actors

Hi everyone, Are there any introverted actors active in this group? Just curious how you manage yourselves, working with other actors and being onset with lots of other people.

Reddit

Reddit · 27 May 2019

How the hell do you contact an agent??

I come from a small European city and have literally booked all of my projects on my own. Most of the working actors in here don't even bother getting an agent since we have a minimal amount of projects available and our "talent representation" is so tragic that it's better not to have one. You land roles by networking…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 May 2019

An advice podcast for actors and other members of the industry

Hi all! ​ When I first started out acting, I had tons of questions that no one really had answers to, and once I moved to NYC I found it even harder to get any of those answers, because honestly there are no real definitive steps to success in this industry, just anecdotes. ​ Regardless of that fact, I ma…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 May 2019

Is working as a Paramedic a good survival job in LA?

Hello Everyone, I have a cousin who wants to move out here to LA and live with me to pursue an acting career. He’s currently a certified Paramedic on the east coast. I'm hesitant on letting him move out here. I don’t want to get an apartment with him and then he fails and leaves me holding the bag. I've seen it happen…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 May 2019

Job: Beautiful Groupie (F) Washington, DC area $50 1-2 hours late August

The beautiful female groupie (character early 20’s, actress must be at least 18) has no lines. She's the girlfriend of the main character's best friend (both are professional bicycle racers), and, as such, is 'familiar' with the main character. The MC's girlfriend, though, doesn't know this and reacts badly, leaving hi…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 May 2019

DMV ACTRESS

IS THERE ANY ACTRESS FROM THE DMV

Reddit

Reddit · 26 May 2019

Acting with a shit bladder

So I am attempting to be an opera singer, musical theatre performer and possibly a film actor(dont really wanna be a world class famous one) but I have a shit bladder. I also have bad panic attacks which is amplified with this bladder problem. Getting into the scene or song can distract me from this bastard of a proble…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 May 2019

Tools of the trade - what I need to know

Hi there! So as part of my interest in voice acting I also have been doing research on what all I need to get into the world and begin voice acting. I already know that a microphone is a must-have. I'm looking into getting an audio technica at2020, blue yeti, or monoprice large diaphragm microphone (any other recommend…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 May 2019

I'm in the MCU!

On Friday night I made my debut in the MCU as Toad on Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.! It was such a cool experience and I'm so friggin' happy with how it turned out. I've had good years and bad years in LA but I never wanted to quit because I knew that this is what I wanted to do. Patience, dedication, and good old fa…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 May 2019

Question to auditioning actors in NYC

Do you find that you don’t audition as much as you’d like to because you don’t know the exact details of getting seen at all of the different types of auditions? Do you find it aggravating that different auditions are on different websites and feel like you miss out on opportunities because of that?

Reddit

Reddit · 24 May 2019

ELDO PRODUCTIONS SCAM!!!!

So recently I submitted on LA Casting for a role playing as a home buyer for a real estate company commercial. I got reach out by a production company called Eldo Productions. I checked out their webpage seemed normal so no red flags went off yet. Then they asked for 2 recent photos, measurements, availability, etc and…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 May 2019

Acting in Spain?

Could anyone tell me what the acting scene is like in Spain? Are there any "main" reputable agents/acting agencies? Also - is Madrid the best city to be in as an actor?

Reddit

Reddit · 24 May 2019

How important is training?

I've never gone to drama school, and the last class I did was when I started acting 3 years ago. Since then I've taken a break of more than a year, and only last October did I get back to acting. In that time it's been going quite well, I've booked some great roles and gotten callbacks that I didn't book. I do quite a…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 May 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - May 23

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 May 2019

Hey New York Actors I Have A Quick Question!

I'm an LA actor that will be spending the next year in New York. I've read a few times online and in interviews, that being on Law and Order SVU is like a New York actor staple. That everyone in that city who acts has either been on that show or has auditioned for that show. Is this somewhat true? That show dominates N…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 May 2019

I'm going to miss one of my biggest opportunities because of my nose...

I was offered a role in a soap opera drama (not a regular, a guest star role) for 5 episodes and that's the biggest acting gig you can book in my country. Basically if i need to be honest i look objectively really attractive. If it weren't for my looks i doubt i would've even landed the role. The thing is - i injured m…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 May 2019

Acting agents in MA?

Actors of Massachusetts - does anyone know any good acting agents/agencies?

Reddit

Reddit · 23 May 2019

Orange County, CA acting classes

I am new to acting and am looking into classes around Orange County, California. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the area and the classes offered at different schools in the area? I’ve looked at the community colleges in the area (OCC) and unfortunately they don’t offer much for evening courses. I work full…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2019

Being Creative To Book A Part on Your Dream TV Show

I feel like every actor has a favorite television show. If it's still on the air, you probably dream about the day you can get an audition for it. For some of us, that TV show is more then a TV show.We've either been huge fans since episode one, or its the show that made us want to become an actor. Botton line is, its…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2019

Me on re-thinking my future decision for acting and Film School, need some help.

Hello, ​ So I've basically planned to save some money to go to TFS (Toronto Film School) to become a Film actor. I believe that actors without experience or anything require at least some sort of small Film School training. But I am saving a lot of money, what if I can get an agent or audition, then I doubt myse…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2019

Do actors pitch to studios?

If an actor who has major representation (CAA, WME), writes a script for them to star in, do they pitch that script to the studio themselves or does the agent/someone else pitch it?

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2019

How to get into acting after time in armed forces.

So I am a 25 year old. I was into theatre in high school long ago doing leads in musicals and plays, then in college I did a few plays. But I never pursued it as a career. I have a career that is almost the opposite, as I am currently an officer in the Marines with a degree and Astronautical Engineering! But my time wh…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2019

Since Politics are hitting Georgia as far as film goes

Where are the next hot acting cities? I was speaking with a couple who were Emmy voters and they claimed the politics in Georgia are causing people to not want to film them there. Making the new spots alberquerque New Mexico and Vancouver Canada. Any ATL actors confirm this?

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2019

Any good exercises to cry on stage?

I have a difficult scene where Im a king and at the end my son and wife die so Im devastated and afterwards Im getting crazy. I can access all emotions except sadness is a little more difficult. I can feel it a little and people really think Im sad, but I would like some legit (no menthol tricks) tears as well. Do you…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2019

Thoughts on broadcasting school/working in radio??

Hello! Like most people on this subreddit, I'm trying to pursue voice acting as a career. I got my demos and a dream, but I've been struggling on finding that "next step" to take my pursuits to the next level. This lead me to a very informative podcast produced by Mike Lenz, titled Voice: A Journey Into Voice acting, i…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2019

How do I convey gossiping without words? Any advice?

For school, me and my class are in the process of making a short-film. Tomorrow is filming day and in one of the scenes there’s a montage of different groups of students spreading gossip about the main character (in this case, the rumour that she’s pregnant). There won’t be any sound during the montage, except for, obv…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 May 2019

Advice on getting the best audio?

Hey everyone! I just dropped an ungodly amount of money on a home studio recently but I'm started to get a little frustrated lol! My recordings still have some kind of room tone when I speak that make it sound just so...unprofessional. I'm trying to google how to fix this, but I'm struggling. I'm just a lil old voice o…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 May 2019

Saving money vs lost time

I was having a discussion with a fellow actor who is considering leaving LA to go work in West Texas for a year. Long story short he’s tired of the struggle month to month and can get a job making 100k a year. His plan was to head out there, work for a year, then come back to LA with $40,50k+ saved up. He’s real torn u…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 May 2019

Silent Video Actor Casting Survey: What Parts Could You See This Actor Play?

Hello, acting friends! I've been doing my Self Management for Actors homework (as brought to us by coach Bonnie Gillespie) I and I'm trying narrow down my casting "type". I would love to get some opinions on what kind of vibe I give off. If you could you take a few moments to watch a short silent video of me then and a…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2019

ACT FRIENDS

IS THERE ANY ASPIRING ACTORS WHO FEEL ALONE AND DONT HAVE SUPPORT WHO JUST NEED ANOTHER ASPIRING ACTOR FRIEND TO JUST TALK ABOUT GOALS AND DREAMS WITH , I AM FEELING THE SAME WAY WITH YOU , WE CAN COME TOGETHER AND SUPPRT FROM A DISTANCE

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2019

Anyone else tired of talking about auditions?

In my country there are two schools that you can go to to become an actor with an acceptance rate of 1%. So this time of year, every damn year, I have many hours' worth of conversations about who got in, why, when, how, who dropped out, who deserves what etc. You'd think these conversations become boring at some point,…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2019

What Stanislavski book to read first?

After asking a bit a lot of people have recommended me to read Stanislavskis books. ​ But which one should I start with. ​ One person told me to get "Stanislavski an actor’s work".But doing a quick google search I found that there are many Stanislavski books such as "An Actor Prepares" ,"Building a Charac…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2019

Networking

Hello! As an aspiring voice actress, I've read a lot about what it takes to even get a start in the voice acting world. A lot of what it takes to get the ball rolling is networking. With that being said, how does someone network, and get into the "scene"? How do I determine what conventions and workshops are real, vers…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2019

Being an unpredictable actor (in a GOOD way!)

Hey guys, first ever post here. Didn’t occur to me that I could just ask this question myself, instead of being upset at not finding it on here first: Some actors are praised for giving “unpredictable” performances, mainly by their costars — for instance, I just heard a snippet of DiCaprio saying that Jack Nicholson wa…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2019

Where's kabookit?

I know it wasn't much of a resource but I *did* occasionally look at it - it used to be linked at the top of Actor's Access. That link is gone, and the direct URL to the site throws a 404 error. Their twitter still seems to be up. What happened? Anyone know?

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2019

How do you deal with the fact that some acting teachers who are known/popular in the business might be big fans and call you talented and come see you perform while others show you/imply you’re not good at all or don’t like you. 1)Will it close doors? 2)

I don’t know if it’s a good or a bad thing if I name names? But if it’s OK to do so then I will update this post because I would like to know what people think of these teachers (if you know them/had them) but at the same time I don’t want to open my mouth if it seems unprofessional and petty. So for now I’ll keep them…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2019

Non-Union / Union Commercials, online usage conflicts?

Hi All, I'm a non-union actor in a regional market. This probably a post an agent could answer, but I do not have an agent. Recently I've gotten a few non-union commerical offers through backstage. The offers are typically for online ads (although some my run on TV in a region) from the production companies. The offers…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2019

Does modeling help you with industry connections?

I came across [this](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cWY5jrhnrc) Megan Fox interview and she mentioned that when she moved close to Miami she was able to start "doing catalog modeling and **making connections**" so i was wondering how true this might be. I mean, we all know that she isn't Meryl Streep by any means and…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2019

How do I approach my new agent who won't talk to me?

Long story short, I signed with a newer agency that has phenomenal reviews. After my interview, I took a day to decide if they were the right fit, and concluded that they were. The only issue is that I didn't have a passport, but the agent didn't seem to mind, she just said "get it as soon as possible". So I did. Went…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2019

HELP! Where should i move to?

I am 16 years old, will turn 17 in February 8th and will move out from a European country on my own (with my parents' consent) in ca. August 2020. have 6 options: 1. **Toronto** \- tons of projects (small and big ones), a lot of great acting coaches and a lot of high schools with great acting programs. I could build a…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2019

16 years old and lots of questions

Hello I am 16 years old and from Germany,Hamburg. I would really like to get into the acting scene but have a lot of questions. ​ The only work I have done is working as an extra in a Warner Bros movie and being in a youth-theatre group for about 3 months now. We are going to play our first stage play in about 1…