Acting forums, all in one place

19,654 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Jun 2019

Podcast with Mel Hutchison - The Walking Dead's Clementine

I just had Melissa Hutchison on my podcast to talk about her voice acting career, the impact of her role as Clementine, fans' emotional response to The Walking Dead, and the experience of the final season with Telltale Games' sudden closure last year. Check it out, she is awesome :) [https://puttin-in-work-with-jono-pe…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jun 2019

i wanted to be an actor because i wanted to spend my life doing something i love, yet all i do is spend the vast majority of my time doing things I absolutely hate, just to survive

if the industry doesnt make an actual effort to find talent that ISN"T of the wealthy class, then art will suffer, plain and simple. i get that this industry isn't "fair", and that life via capitalism is a fucking nightmare for everyone not born rich, but god damn, to not even have the chance to PARTICIPATE because eve…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jun 2019

People just getting into acting

Or thinking about it...listen to the podcast Audrey Helps Actors. Been lurking here awhile and I see a lot of the same questions almost every single day. Or people coming here for monologue ideas and all that...was listening to an episode yesterday that stresses the fact that getting used to doing your own research sho…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jun 2019

Director looking for feedback - Meisner trained actors

TL;DR: I made a short using Meisner techniques, what are your thoughts on the performances? (or other aspects) ​ Hey! So I'm a director who came out of film school a couple of years ago knowing next to nothing about acting, but knowing that it was a vital part of the craft. In trying to learn how to direct actor…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jun 2019

Am Dram advice?

Hi everyone! Just needed a bit of advice. My name is Mairead. I'm a trained actress who left London about 2 years ago for personal reasons. I've only got back to my passion in the last 18months or so and I want to make a proper go at it. Next month I'll be performing in Bedroom Farce by Alan Aykebourn with a local Amat…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jun 2019

Help finding a cartoon voice actor?

Hello there, I've been having a very doffocult time finding a male character/cartoon voice actor for a very tiny animation I'm working on. There's plenty of voice actors, and I've been on various forums, Fiverr, Newgrounds etc. But with little to no luck-- lots of talented people that's for sure! But for some reason it…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Jun 2019

I need help evoking genuine sadness in my acting

So I'm playing a king in a theatre play. I think I'm a bit of a method actor because I can evoke anger and hapiness and a little fear as well using my own experiences. I just think of one guy that's funny, or one irritating person or event and immediately I feel the anger/happiness/whatever. With sadness it is harder.…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Jun 2019

Who else loves Tara Strong?

I only discovered who she was a few months ago and I still can't believe how many voices she can do, and how many times I've actually already heard her voice! Does anyone else have a favorite voice actor they would recommend checking out?

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Jun 2019

What to do in meetings with managers/agents?

I'm at the point in my acting journey where I've stacked quite a few indie short credits, have been on a web series, and am producing my own content as well. I have a reel and I feel confident in myself as an actor, but I still make sure to take classes regularly.....so now I'm doing those P2P at Actors Connection and…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Jun 2019

The childrens hour audition

In a while i will be auditioning for "The childrens hour" for those of you who dont know there is only one major male part in that play. The director already knows and likes me but im not sure if he sees me as a viable dramatic actor (as i usually stick to comedic roles.) What are some ways to make sure I stand out at…

Backstage

Backstage · 2 Jun 2019

Film/Television Agent

Hello! Struggling a little with finding an agent. Many want a referral, and the several I have emailed have not responded. I have a commercial agent, and have done several commercials, but want to transition to what I’ve trained so hard for. Are follow up appropriate for the agents I’ve...

Backstage

Backstage · 2 Jun 2019

Voiceover agents

Hi everyone I wanted to know if anyone has sent out any of their voiceover demos to agents via email or submissions and gotten response? I was looking to send my voiceover demo to some VO agents such as CESD. would love to hear some thoughts and any advice!

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Jun 2019

LA to NYC

Hi All! I've been in LA for about three and a half years now and am finally accepting it isn't where I really want to be. I'm really happy and proud of the training I've done here, how I've evolved as a person, and how I've deepened (word?) as an artist - but after a visit to NYC it became blatantly clear that I've bee…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Jun 2019

What kind of samples would be reccomended for a voice123 portfolio

I am trying to get started on my dream of being a voice actor, but I have run into a problem. I have no earthly idea what to record to advertise my voice and my anxiety makes me feel ridiculously stupid anytime I record anything. What types pf recordings are people supposed to put on their profile and any reccomendatio…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Jun 2019

A question for actors with agents

Hello actors! I recently (three days ago) had an audition with an agency (BMG talent) and I thought it went really well. It seemed to me that the agent was teasing a three year contract. I’m based in Chicago. I am wondering how long I should expect to wait before I hear back from them. How long did it take for you to h…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 May 2019

I'm afraid of being an older actor help

Guys, I'm just now getting comfortable with the idea of what I have to do to put together a career. I'll be 40 in 2 years...then trying for 10 years maybe?.. I literally can't see myself do anything else (I tried) but I don't even know how to survive let alone have enough money for auditions.. How does anyone survive l…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 May 2019

Should I Take This Role?

So I few days ago, I saw a post on Reddit looking for actors to do an unpaid vlog style series. It's kinda like Lonley Girl15 if any of you guys remember that. Well I got a part and was excited, but then I started thinking about my future as an actor and it got me thinking if I should take it or not. Like could this ge…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 May 2019

scene study help

Hoping someone can help. Looking for a scene for two actors involving PTSD and the military. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reddit

Reddit · 31 May 2019

I decided to create a short film by myself and with only a smarthpone.

Hi guys, I am an actor. Recently I made a short film using only my smartphone, a cheap mic and one light. Let me know what you think. This post is just a motivation that sometimes we can create our own work and never stop develop our skills. Thanks.Here is the link:[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI4NFB6kNT4](https://…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 May 2019

Hello Stage actors!

I was recently invited to audition for a local company that hosts a 'rep' season every summer, and have been cast. Today is the end of the first week of rehearsals so for the first time since leaving Drama School, where we were taught in the old English Rep. system, I'm actually 'in Rep.'! Two roles in 2 different show…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 May 2019

For an actor to play a convincing role, must their character reflect something within their own psyche? For example, for Heath Ledger to play a great Joker, did he have to have sociopathic tendencies deep within his psyche?

For an actor to convincingly play a role and generate raw emotions, it must resonate with something within his own psyche, right? I'm not saying that "LEDGER IS A SOCIOPATH". But the human unconscious mind is so vast, complex, mysterious, and deep. For him to play Joker as well as he did, do you think it reflects a dee…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 May 2019

Need some input

I'm going to spend some time making a site for voice actors to find jobs and connect with others, what is something you would love to see implemented in an online voice-over site that other sites like Voices.com or Voices123 just dont quite have?

Reddit

Reddit · 30 May 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - May 30

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 May 2019

Interview with Casting Director Jeremy Gordon

This week on the Placing Faces Podcast, we talk to [Jeremy Gordon](https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1873883/). He's the casting director who created [the Casting Directors for Actors Facebook Group](https://www.facebook.com/groups/CastingDirectorsForActors/), and he's worked on projects like Marvel's Cloak and Dagger, LBJ,…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 May 2019

Beginning actress needing some advice!

I am wondering what some people’s experiences are getting into the acting scene. How did you go about getting an agent, getting your name out there, etc? All advice welcome!

Reddit

Reddit · 29 May 2019

method actor in need of help

so , I was Audrey in a production of little shop of horrors , I used a combination of method and Stanislavski (emotional memory ) to really effectively tell the story of being abused and having a warped self image . they talk a lot about making yourself into the character ...no one ever tells you how to separate yourse…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 May 2019

Looking for advice on emotionally difficult roles

I am 2 days from opening night for a show I'm in, and the better the show gets the more it is draining me. I'm playing a voice in the head of a schizophrenic high school senior, named Demon, and I have to say a lot of vile things to the character whose mind I reside in. My character is attempting to push him to suicide…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 May 2019

What technique am I using?

I never asked my coach what technique it is that I am using. I want to take an intensive on it because I get the best results. ​ My coach would ask me to think about a person and access that emotion or memory of them and throw it into the scene relevant to what the scene was about. I tried the 'moment before' bu…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 May 2019

Review - My experience with Nine9

BE AWARE -- I don't recommend anyone to get in touch with Nine9 The Unagency!! Please do yourself a favor and Google the name of their company and look for others' reviews as well!! ​ So, I live in NYC, me as well, and like many others, saw an ad on Facebook that says that they're looking for actors and extras f…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 May 2019

is there a way to get some jobs working as a extra with out having to pay websites?

i have a interest in acting and i got all of summer to kill so i was wondering if i could get a few jobs working as a extra or actor. but advertising my self on multiple websites is very costly so i was wondering around the London/southern part of England if there is any way to get jobs as a extra with out having to pa…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 May 2019

Actor's Connection Showcase

Does anyone have any experience with any of the Actor's Connection showcases and could speak to its legitimacy?

Reddit

Reddit · 29 May 2019

Acting Podcasts

Hi actors, Mike here. I host an a podcast for actors called The Actor CEO Podcast and have been doing so for almost three years and over 100 episodes. I talk to industry pros and focus on how actors can treat their career like a business and build sustainable creative lives. ​ I would love to jump on some other…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 May 2019

What are some good ideas for demo reels scenes?

I'm working with a company (JIGReel, I've heard good things about them) that produces demo reels for actors. They have writers who will write a short scene, and on-call actors who act in the scene, and you're supposed to pitch them scene ideas. My understanding is that this is supposed to highlight your strengths as an…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 May 2019

What is the reality of acting industry?

Hellooo aspiring actors/actresses! So I have been recently been seeing a lot of \*scary things that happen in the acting industry like selling yourself to get a role etc... is this all true? what is the reality of the acting industry?

Reddit

Reddit · 28 May 2019

Best place for an actor to live in Los Angeles?

What's the best place for actors to live in Los Angeles? I want somewhere safe and close to lots of auditions. Cost of living aside because my budget for rent is still to be determined since I'm not sure if I'm going to have a roommate or not.

Reddit

Reddit · 28 May 2019

Los Angeles, all these techniques, acting is ALL A JOKE

It’s literally all marketing. Targets a few type of people 1. Insecure people not doing anything looking for a fantasy. Wow I want to be an actor it’s my passion! 2. Rich parents who didn’t raise their children properly afford for them to go to LA to pay for shit 3. People with no social skills thinking taking acting c…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 May 2019

London acting networking spots?

Hi fellow actors in London, I wanted to ask if anyone has any recommendations for places like minded actors get together and network at? (any particular fringe theatres, university film societies etc) I know the Actors Centre is the obvious one, but just wanted some further suggestions as I’m looking to collaborate. Ch…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 May 2019

Camila Mendes signed with CAA without ANY acting credits...

because she was an intern in the agency and after her internship ended she asked whether she could be represented by them as an actress. She says it in [this](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHfgjBNQTjQ&t=42s) video. Is this a legit way to "network"? I mean i feel like interning for something completely different and t…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 May 2019

Recommendations for people in the UK?

I’ll get straight to it, I’m in my late 20s - opportunities to go to drama schools were not really there in the UK when I went to school or university because they were majority private and non government funded - and I came from a broker than broke family. - And yeah; now they are funded, I still can’t get financial h…