Acting forums, all in one place

19,654 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jul 2019

Actor Showreel (editing and critique)

Hello Everyone, I'm an editor and I've completed a showreel for an actor and I was hoping to get some feedback from the community. I edited it mainly under the guidance of a video made by Spotlight (the UK's largest casting resource): [https://youtu.be/SSLbXrJssxQ](https://youtu.be/SSLbXrJssxQ) My main goals were to ke…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jul 2019

SAG production but no SAG contract?

Hi hi! So I recently shot a commercial that I was told was a SAG production. But here’s the thing: we didn’t get our contracts until after we wrapped and I never signed any SAG waivers, contracts, or a Taft Hartley. The other actors found it strange as well, so I just wanted to check here and see if this is all normal?…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Jul 2019

How did you guys figure out your brand?

I met with an agent this afternoon and he asked me what roles I usually go in for or my type? How did you guys figure yours out? I know how I perceive myself is one thing, other actors have told me what they think of me, but I know I’ve gotten different stuff ranging from daughter to granddaughter, bigot, disfigured wo…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Jul 2019

Actors Are Selling Out Their Lives To Be On TV

You guys market your entire lives because your producers and agents think that it will make you look more appealing to possible clients and job offers. You start bands and podcasts with other actors to boost your popularity. The bands are purposely the most mainstream trash designed to be the inoffensive uninspired noi…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Jul 2019

4 STEPS TO CAREER LONGEVITY

*by Braden Lynch, Los Angeles acting coach since 2006, working actor since 2005* ​ As actors, it can be really easy for us to lose sight of what's important. We become hyper focused on when our next audition will be, or the audition we just got, or what casting thought of us, or how we're not doing enough, or ho…

Backstage

Backstage · 2 Jul 2019

first head shot

I'm new to Backstage, I live in Connecticut and plan to get my first head shot. When I search for head shot photographers, I'm not sure how to narrow down all the choices. Some photographers say they do shots for actors but their testimonials are for, say, family photos. Should...

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Jul 2019

Female Actress Seeking a Good Comedic Monologue

I have always struggled when it comes to picking out a monologue especially a contemporary comedic one. (I know of classical comedic ones such as Oscar Wilde and Shakespeare etc) If anyone has any suggestions, I would be forever thankful!

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Jul 2019

5 steps to create a great brand story.

Some people forget about what we are supposed to do in the creative advertising industry. With the day to day hustle and bustle that goes on it can get you off track. But it’s quite simple. We are here to tell a story. A story that will help a brand sell its products or services.... Read more at [British Voice Over Act…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Jul 2019

Voice actor coaching in Montreal

Hi, ​ for those who lives in montreal, do you know a good place to find a professional voice acting coach ?

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Jul 2019

The Real Reason Established VO’s Shame New Voice Talent

There is no doubt that the industry is changing for voice actors. The market is being flooded by talent who charge way below industry standard rates and many voice actors, who have been established for years, are not happy about it. The truth is that the barriers to entry for the aspiring voice over have become almost…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Jul 2019

Plans after college

So I'm 100% dedicated to become the best actor I can be however I want to make sure that I have a survival job as I move to the city after I graduate, I'm heading to New York and I'm going to be living with my brother, what survival jobs can help pay my rent as im in the city

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Jul 2019

Red Flags in Theater

We in this profession have to develop a keen bullshit detector if we want to last long without being taken advantage of. There will always be those who take our talents, skills, and commitment for granted because they see actors as expendible. After all, there never seems to be a shortage of people with aspirations of…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Jul 2019

New Voice acting discord server!

Hey there all! Im working on making a voice acting discord server! Where voice actors project creators and artists can come together! [https://discord.gg/g6kFxf](https://discord.gg/g6kFxf)

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Jul 2019

Actor based workout plan, would you be interested?

I'm looking for some insight. As a component to my MFA thesis I made an actor centric workout plan that could be done in a small space, required no equipment, and was only 30 minutes a workout. I had planned on reshooting the videos and publishing it online, with some free content and some patreon content, but I've rea…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Jul 2019

What ARE my rates?

I was requested to do a self-tape audition for a short film. On the listing it said “compensation commensurate with experience”. They asked me— a non-union, 18 year old actor with little film experience— what my rates are. I have no idea; what would be a good number for me? Says it would be a 6 hour commitment.

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Jul 2019

What did you do today to advance your acting career?

- did some prepatory work for a scene that I will be acting in for a series on Wednesday. - Practiced my Spanish - sent some texts/messages to agents and other actor contacts - checked AA for submissions - worked out Let’s motivate each other and remind ourselves of the grinding nature of this art.

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Jul 2019

How to get started?

I have a some questions that I’ve thought if after looking through this sub 1. What do I do if I can’t have a coach? I live in a country that doesn’t have that kind of stuff 2. Is there any places online I can do some stuff? (I don’t wanna be paid just yet, I just want to build a demo and such) 3. What makes a good voi…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jun 2019

Meisner method in San Antonio, tx

Was wondering if anyone knew of any schools that teach the Meisner method in San Antonio, TX. I found one in austin but it's to much for me to commute every week. Also, if no schools are available, are there any Meisner trained actors who could meet with others interested in learning the technique and sharing/pooling o…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jun 2019

How to read a booking info email?

Hello there, real actors. I only recently decided I wanted to be an actor. I've zero training, etc. I saw a local casting call for background extras for a TV show filming in my city. Decided to send an email with all the info they requested, and to my dumbfounded astonishment, I rec'd a reply an hour later. Problem is,…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jun 2019

Can you help me figure out my typecast?

Hey guys! I need your help with a typecast survey (1-2 minutes). I'm an actress and I want to find out what my type cast is, or how you would cast me. If you could click the link below and fill the survey out that would be amazing! Thank you! [https://forms.gle/Urww4PsqGa1seMyN6](https://forms.gle/Urww4PsqGa1seMyN6)

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jun 2019

I feel like I am an actor on the inside

I’m 26 years old and I have never once acted or attempted to act or auditioned for anything, but I sometimes act out scenes at home by myself and I think I am good at it. I can bring my real feelings into whatever I am trying to act out and make it very real to the point where I almost feel like it’s real to me in that…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jun 2019

In need of actor please help me

(this may not be the right place to post this but oh well) Hello, I have an offer. I'm looking for a man between the ages of 16-23 to play a character in my story. I'm making a horror story via a social media platform and I need someone that would be comfortable with sending me selfies and videos of themselves for this…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jun 2019

Worldwide Casting Search - is it legit? [castittalent/ telsey+company]

Hey guys just wanted some opinions on whether the casting website "castittalent" is legit or not? I found an open casting call on facebook for the lead in a new show, and the submission has to be made through castittalent.com. I haven't been able to find much about them, but the casting directors who posted the casting…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jun 2019

any actors in NYC looking to rent out a room at a reasonable price to another actor?

i'm repped / sag, wait tables downtown, and looking to decrease my rent as well as live with other actors. everybody I know pays over $1000 a month for a room, which i find to be ridiculous, and just forces you to work more at your survival job and devote less time to the entertainment stuff. i'm looking for like 600-8…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jun 2019

Good Experience with any agencies in Toronto for children actors? (Union roles)

I’m looking for an agent that handles children in the Toronto area for principal work. My kids have done lots of background stuff but they want more. I know Actra (they are in the union) have a list of agencies on their website but I feel it’s just random. How do I know who to really trust. It’s my kids after all. Does…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jun 2019

Acting school

Hello! I’m currently 15 years old, living in Europe. I have no previous experiences in acting but after I finish high school (gymnasium?) I want to apply for an acting school in USA. I have several questions and would appreciate if any of you took the time to answer some of them. I’m thinking of joining an acting class…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jun 2019

Tekken 7's Eliza?

Hey guys! Can anyone ID Tekken 7's Eliza's voice actress? She's my favorite video game character ever and no matter how hard I look, I cannot find an ID! Can anyone find out?

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jun 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Jun 27

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jun 2019

Do you ever feel like acting is your only skill?

I was up late last night worrying about the future, and I came to the conclusion, that acting is my only skill. My mom put me in acting classes from the ages of 6-18. It's truly the only talent/skill that I have. It's the only thing that I love. I'm 20, and having trouble paying for college, which makes everything more…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jun 2019

I did it.

I did the damn thing. I got on set today for the first feature film that I've booked. I got to say lines to a wonderful actress. I got dolled up. I ate some really good food. I met some wonderful people. It was such a surreal experience. I think I'm hooked. You guys keep doing what you're doing and being amazing.

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jun 2019

Voice acting outside of a major market?

Hi everyone, So I have lived in LA for the past few years and have been trying to make it as an actor and working as a PA and doing background for money. I just recently decided to get into VO and am doing a commercial demo pretty soon. My living situation has recently changed though, my roommate is moving out of LA an…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jun 2019

Transitioning from stage to film

Hi there. I have been acting around my theater community for about 15 years now. I really would love to get more into film work, but I have no idea how to find auditions or casting calls. I cant afford backstage or actors access. I've done a small speaking role in an indie film and a commercial for united way. It was g…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jun 2019

Tell me about your survival jobs

Here’s my story: I have a middling career in medicine, and much like Ken Jeong, I’m over it, I’d like to act full time. The worst day on set has to be better than most days in a hospital, but it pays the bills. Unlike Ken Jeong, I’m not a doctor with a doctor wife so I don’t have tons of extra cash for a safety net. I’…