Acting forums, all in one place

19,645 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jan 2018

What make up to use for actor head shots?

All my head shots look terrible, I realize I need to start wearing make up because I am not young anymore, I'm older so I look unattractive now so I might look pretty with make up. I may not have needed it before but I am not 24 anymore or 17. After doing research for names of products women use, I have: Hairspray obvi…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jan 2018

When did it all change?

I watched one of Wendy's Alane Wright's videos and she said how back in the days anyone could just become an actor. All you had to do was go to a talent agency and you would sign a contract and they out you to business and train you, now they don't do that anymore. That probably explains why she still gets people dropp…

Delphi

Delphi · 27 Jan 2018

New to Acting: Putting awards on a resume?

I know that awards shouldn't be listed on a resume, but can winning an award at a film festival be leveraged in any other way?  Thanks in advance.

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 26 Jan 2018

Research project

Hello Everyone. Im new here but i am looking for interviews from actors for my research project. Acting experience in action movies or tv would be best but i am open to any actors. I am happy to do an interview via email, skype or if you're in England than could do a face to face interview. Thank you.

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jan 2018

People can't type you based on your looks alone

Sure there are certain types better suited to people who look a certain way, but your type is dependent on how you act and who you are as a person. Somebody might look like a leading man, but be a total zany character actor. Ask the people who KNOW YOU about their opinions on your type. A phrase commonly used is "who's…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jan 2018

How do I network in LA

Hey, I'm a actor in LA , I moved here in September and have had a hard time networking with other people in the business, I would love to, I a bit of introvert. Any advise ? and anyone who also wants to network?

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jan 2018

I've made it this far, should I go for it? Any advice on next steps?

I am an aspiring actor. I know, I cringed a bit writing it, but I didn't know how to start this off. I finally drove cross country about a year ago to set up shop in CA. I'm fortunate to have a roof over my head and a job right now. The only thing is that I'm about 5 hours north of LA, and my job has nothing to do with…

Backstage

Backstage · 25 Jan 2018

Can an Online Masterclass go on my resume?

Hi there! I'm taking advantage of the online learning platform and have signed up for various classes offered through masterclass.com. So far, I'm in the middle of the masterclass offered by both Samuel L. Jackson and Helen Mirren. My question is: Is there any reason why these classes can't or...

Backstage

Backstage · 25 Jan 2018

Acting a lead role in 6 months, need tips.

Hi, I've never acted before in my life and will be acting in a movie 6 months from now. I would love any tips or any recommendations for get books to read. Thanks.

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jan 2018

My First Pilot Season (& No Auditions Yet)

Hello, I am an ATL-based actor and I signed with my first agency (not one of the top 4 here, but solid, SAG-franchised, and with a good reputation) a couple weeks before the holiday season. I am a bit more anxious than the average person I admit, but I'm a wee bit worried that I haven't gotten a single self tape auditi…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jan 2018

So I am watching Wendy Alane Wright videos

She says lot of things and my acting teacher who is also an actor says the opposite of what she says. My teacher acts like you come to his class and you can go get head shots if you want, go out and do auditions, go to Cast Iron Studios when they do open auditions and every November they go open calls for monologues an…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jan 2018

We need to talk about the myth of the "unknown" actor breaking through

There’s been an uptick here in posts talking about “unknown” actors getting their “big break” in something that turns into a phenomenon. I’m looking at you, Stranger Things. This is almost always a myth, created either by PR machines or by lazy people who have a passing interest in becoming actors. It really only takes…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jan 2018

How to Become a noticed actor?

Hello, my name is Taylor Rhoades and I, like many people, want to pursue acting. I always wanted to be involved in film for my whole life. I began writing and led to wanting to direct but a year ago I realized I love acting. I have acted in seven different short films and I grow each and every time, getting better and…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jan 2018

What are reddit's tips for future actors / directors?

Hello! as a complete beginner in this world I would like to gain some insight. My question is deliberately very diversified. The answers to my question could be how to handle and invest a very big sum of money, some real-life tips ( don't you ever, ever start an affair with an actress, only because she must be at the s…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jan 2018

Reshooting Old TV Scenes for a Reel?

Would it be a terrible thing to shoot some two person scenes from old tv shows for a beginning reel that can be edited to feature each actor? I have access to people and equipment from my filmmaking class to make one. I just don't have any great script ideas and the student films I have done have mostly been voiced ove…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jan 2018

Motion Capture in Texas

I'm a actor/motion capture performer with a few small credits. I'm interested in moving to a larger market, but I'm not ready for LA. Does anyone know anything about motion capture opportunities in Austin/Dallas? I know there are a lot of game studios, but are there many auditions? Is there an agency that works more wi…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jan 2018

Help me find my Brand!?

Hey fellow actors! I am in the tedious process of trying to hone in on my brand, or how I'll sell myself to the industry. I've made a list of adjectives in a google document and I'm hoping you all can help me out by scrolling through a selecting 5-15 (or more!) words that you think represent me based on my headshots! I…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jan 2018

Typecast as a period actress, not quite sure what to do with it. Please help!

I'm currently taking an auditioning class and we had a NY casting director come in as a guest. She'd stated that due to my intense eyes, I looked like a period actress; and that I would suit roles like a maid, 1950's french woman, or mayor's wife type character. I live in the Kansas City area and know that there aren't…

Delphi

Delphi · 23 Jan 2018

Working Actors and Models: SAG Fee Question

Hi there, DD booked  a show (YAY!!) and now must join SAG.  The fee is so high!! She's 18 and still in HS.  We plan to "help" her pay (meaning we will be paying) but I was wondering if anyone negotiated a payment plan with SAG.  They offered one but the terms were still a bit much for my very shallow pocket.   Feel fre…

Delphi

Delphi · 19 Jan 2018

Entertainment Industry Chatter: New Tax Bill

I know this has been discussed and we aren't supposed to talk politics here however, is there any news on the current tax bill regarding actors and unreimbursed business expenses? Everything I've read is from late December with no recent updates.  

Backstage

Backstage · 18 Jan 2018

Getting Sick

I just got hit hard with the flu. Fortunately, I didn't have any gig this week, but wondering if anyone out there has had experience with having to do a role while ill. And how did it go. I think the best solution is to not do it, stay home...

Delphi

Delphi · 17 Jan 2018

Working Actors and Models: New SAG Rate Sheets

I have been looking high and low for the current rate sheet.  I can not find it anywhere.  This is all I can find... https://www.sagaftra.org/files/rate_sheet_television_sag_aftra_8_16.pdf Does anyone know where I can find a current one?  It would be handy.

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jan 2018

Any Kent (UK) Voice Actors/Actress willing to give some insight

Hello, My name is Dean and I am looking to maybe get into the voice acting world. I've done some voice over work for tutorial videos for my place of work, to which many people have suggested that it should "be a thing" I have a love for video games and several amazing actors such as Liam O Brien and Matthew Mercer etc…

Backstage

Backstage · 13 Jan 2018

[Office Hours] feat. Comedy Expert, Author, and Instructor, Steve Kaplan

Heads up, comics! If you’re an up-and-coming comedian, comedienne, or comedic writer, you know how tough it can be to develop your craft and find your way on the comedy circuit. Luckily, a renowned comedy expert will be dropping knowledge on the Backstage Community forums today that is sure to...

Delphi

Delphi · 13 Jan 2018

Resources/Coaches, Headshots+: Dialect Coach

Hello Does anyone know of a dialect coach for Eastern European accents that would be available immediately? We are in LA. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you as always for your advice and support 

Delphi

Delphi · 13 Jan 2018

New to Acting: Submissions on casting networks

Before we ask our new (first) agent, we would like your opinion on whether we should submit to AA or LACasting or inform agent to submit?  Our agent is on the PARF list, so I would assume agent might have more clout with CD's than a blind submission from hundreds of others.  Agent has gotten several auditions that we n…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 11 Jan 2018

Question

Hi everyone! Quick question, when emailing a headshot and resume, is it best in pdf or Microsoft word, or does it not matter? Thanks :)

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 10 Jan 2018

Acting Classes

Hello. Where are your film acting classes held?

Backstage

Backstage · 10 Jan 2018

Getting Together with Fellow Actors

I'm in Manhattan, and I'm looking for a good cheap place to get together and chat with fellow actors. Ideally I want somewhere that has lots of seats, and we can get a group together. Something not too crowded. Any ideas? Most coffee shops are overrun with people, or only...

Delphi

Delphi · 10 Jan 2018

Welcome New Members & Admin: Casting Question

My DD is friends on social media with a female writer and was sent a message from this writer asking if she had auditioned for a certain film role the writer created & thought she would be perfect for.  My DD did audition for it in person at a big casting office. She wrote back & told her she did audition.  But the wri…

Backstage

Backstage · 9 Jan 2018

When is it appropriate to announce a role on Facebook?

Hi everyone! This past year I booked a recurring role on a television show. When is it appropriate for me to announce this on Facebook and social media? I want people to know about it before it airs but I often don't see other friends post about their roles until...

Backstage

Backstage · 9 Jan 2018

I'm back!

Wow, this message board has changed. I guess all the old posts are gone, as was my old account. I used to be "BrentontheMove." It's been awhile since I was here last. I thought I'd come back and impart any knowledge I can as I get some good advice when...

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 8 Jan 2018

Resume Help!!!

Hello everyone :) I am trying to put together my acting resume as I have an audition with a small local company at the end of this month. I am having quite a bit of trouble with formatting and terminology! Could anyone please give me a hand? Any help is much appreciated xx Thank you!!!

Delphi

Delphi · 7 Jan 2018

Working Actors and Models: good tax news for $16K or under crowd

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/deductions-actors.html This says that the new tax law did not repeal the Qualified Performing Artist Deduction, so low-earning actors can still deduct expenses against employment income -- just not kids earning over $16K.

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jan 2018

Actors and Actress Needed for DC Comics Fandub!

Hey everyone! I’m putting together a video on the DC Comics ‘Vengeance of Bane’ storyline which will be posted on Youtube, but I need help. **These will be paid positions in Australian Dollars (AUD) through Paypal, please check Paypal’s currency exchange to avoid confusion).** The characters are listed below with sampl…

Delphi

Delphi · 6 Jan 2018

New to Acting: Rates for Commercials?

DD has one commercial and it paid $200 for limited distribution.  What would be some rates we should shoot for?  One non-union is  $750/12 session (for print and video), $1500 video buyout if in final edit, $1000 print buyout if used in final edit, 10% agent's fee.  Is that about top of the line or average? Others I se…

Delphi

Delphi · 5 Jan 2018

Welcome New Members & Admin: LA Casting

Just a heads up for everyone to check their CC bill for charges from LA Casting. My son's account was credited in Dec. 2017 (after I emailed them and asked) and was told he had a free account AND free media hosting through May 2018.  With zero warning, I received a receipt from them today for January charges!  

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 4 Jan 2018

Jobs

Hello! My name is Samantha, I am 16 years old. I'm new in the industry, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on getting signed to a good agency and/or where to look for them. Thanks! :)

Delphi

Delphi · 4 Jan 2018

Working Actors and Models: Reel footage from streaming services

I wanted to update my child's reel for pilot season but all of her new stuff is streaming. DVD purchase is not an option. I have Movavi- which has worked in the past but it no longer works for Hulu, Amazon or Netflix.  Is there a service that can collect this footage for us? 

Delphi

Delphi · 4 Jan 2018

Working Actors and Models: Resume question

Hi. My son has two agents. Big bicoastal. And small local.  They don't get along. It's a pain sometimes. But anyway.  The question and disagreement of the day is: resume  so, do you guys include roles that your DC has booked and filmed, on your resume, even if after it comes out, the scene (s) were cut and they are no…

Delphi

Delphi · 4 Jan 2018

New to Acting: Film Schools

In another post, several people heaped praise on USC as a top school for student films.  Are there others in the LA area, like USC.  I'm curious about Loyola Marymount, and there is also a high school in LA that has had breakdowns on AA.  And if anyone in other markets like NY, Atlanta, or Chicago wants to chime in abo…