Acting forums, all in one place

19,645 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Feb 2018

Please help! I need advice on college!

I'm in my second semester of a community college. I want to be an actor. Currently, I am taking basic courses, AKA, the useless stuff that really has nothing to do with what I want to do and is also stuff I've already done in public school a million times over. I'm very overwhelmed and am thinking about taking a break…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Feb 2018

Do Actors Pronounce Words From A Script In Different Ways or Verbatim?

I'm currently proofreading a script in preparation for film festivals, and screenwriting contests right now; and something has been bothering me. I have this piece of dialogue: "Do you ever want to go back?" Would an actor treat the word, "want to," as "wanna" for realism when spoken aloud? Are there instances where an…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Feb 2018

Actor head shots in the Portland, OR area?

I am looking around for photographers and have been sending them emails for rates and if they do actor head shots, does anyone know of any place here that does them and is very reputable and what rates they charge? I am worried I am going to pick the wrong one and they do head shots that can't be used and I cannot tell…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Feb 2018

Feeling lost . . .

I've gotten my BA and MA in acting, and have done multiple stage productions, and two television series in Ireland as a small role. I'm back in the States where I live I Kentucky and need to put myself somewhere I can continue acting. Problem is, I don't know where. I had my head set on Florida, to go work at Disney or…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Feb 2018

How did timothy charlamet get cast in the call me by your name film?

hello, I have just turned 22 and I'm looking into getting an agent. I have had experience in acting (high school and one student film) but just not that sure about the professional side of it. anywho, i was looking at actors in my age-range and that look similar and i came across the guy who plays elio in call me by yo…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 4 Feb 2018

Advice??

so i’ve actually never acted in anything except school productions but im really serious about acting. im going to a performing arts college this year after my GCSEs and i just really want some experience but im finding it hard to find acting jobs/auditions. any advice?

Backstage

Backstage · 4 Feb 2018

Has anyone been UNSUCCESSFUL on here?

I've just signed up for my first month on backstage.com, but I'm wondering if it's worth planning to continue the subscription? Has anyone NOT had a good experience? I've already submitted to 14 matching roles and plan on continuing to apply for anything else I match. Has anyone NEVER received...

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Feb 2018

Actors of reddit: how did you get an agent?

Every time I’ve tried it turns out to be a scam agency that asks for money up front. I don’t seem to understand the process or know which agencies are decent that will actually get me real acting jobs. I live in Toronto if that helps

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Feb 2018

What differentiates characters?

When I watch films, I notice there are actors that are able to completely transform themselves: Marlon Brando, Gary Oldman, etcetera. Though in other movies, I see that the script and body language are the things that make the character. The underlying charm of the individual personally drawing me in, am I missing some…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Feb 2018

egotistical teachers at acting studios?

has anyone had stories about this? I was talkin g to a few people on set two weeks ago, and some of them were very kind. I find it hard to believe they would make it up, but they said that at a very well known studio in my city, one of the coaches was very rude and a bit egotistical when the actor asked for clarificati…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Feb 2018

Hey guys, I'm frustrating from thoughts and I'd like to some answers (about acting)

So... I love acting since I was 14 years old. Today I'm 18 and I dream of it like 3 years (about those three years I succed doing 3 shows in my boarding school) and last year I started seriously and went to a course for acting and I still love it very much. It feels free for me to unleashed my persolity without fear of…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Feb 2018

Acting degree vs Musical Theatre degree

I'm currently a high school senior and I'm in the College audition process. All my life I’ve done musical theatre, and I want to continue to do that in college and then professionally. However I go by the philosophy that acting is the most important thing, and singing and dancing should be in service of acting. I’ve be…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Feb 2018

How to Find New Local Actors? YouTube Channel Looking for People!

Hi all! This isn't a plug for my channel (although I'll link it if anyone is interested), but I am currently searching for members to take part in a Dungeon & Dragons weekly stream. We are looking for fun and people who are genuinely interested in playing D&D and are okay/excel in front of a camera! Who better than som…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Feb 2018

List of Ebooks for Actor..Am I missing anything important?

Hello Actors, I have provided the list of ebooks required for actors to enhance their skills. These ebooks may be very familiar to you and available in internet..just thought of checking with you all if I miss any ebooks which are must-to-know for an actor? Acting For Film Cathy Haase Acting Is Believing Acting The Fir…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Feb 2018

Actors giving other actors direction

I'm currently in a show where one of the actors is giving me direction with blocking and acting choices. This is one of my biggest pet peeves, and I think it is more prone to happen in community theater--which is what this project is. My director isn't being very helpful (he's more worried about the lines being 100% ri…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Feb 2018

I don’t know which path to take?

Hey reddit! I’m a senior graduating high school in a couple months. My grades and test scores are terrible so college would be hard to get into. Even if I did get good grades for college, I still wouldn’t go because I do not see myself doing anything else other than acting, it is my passion and nothing else would make…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Feb 2018

Can we please talk about Saorsie Ronan?

I first saw "City Of Ember" when I was 11, and I loved that movie so much, as a kids movie and only as such, however, last July (2017) I was looking through old movies my family had, and rewatched it. Halfway through the movie, something connected, and I realised this was the Brooklyn girl. Fast forward a few months, a…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Feb 2018

Getting Eligible for SAG-AFTRA in Atlanta

Atlanta is in a right to work state. Do the producers still have to pay a fine to Taft-Hartley you for SAG-AFTRA if you book a co-star or a small part in a movie there? Is that a problem for new, non-union actors like it is in L.A.? I have been reading Jenna Fischer's book and she says that she only knew of one person…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Feb 2018

Feedback on my headshot?

Hello fellow actors, I was wondering what you thought of my headshot? I usually get cast as the cop, detective, or tough guy. My coach said I need a shot of me smiling to do commercial acting which I might agree with. Thanks! https://i.imgur.com/8O0IOGY.jpg

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Feb 2018

Balancing survival job with auditions/roles

Hi All! I'm new to acting and have recently gotten a couple of auditions. However, I've had to decline some due to audition or shooting day conflicts with my day job. At this point, I'm gonna take the plunge and commit to acting. But of course, I have to pay rent. I know that actors are notorious for being waitresses a…

Delphi

Delphi · 2 Feb 2018

Working Actors and Models: free resume template?

My daughter does local theater and we don't have an agent or manager so I'm on my own for figuring out things like her resume.  I've always just done it as a word doc but I'm realizing that there's probably a way to make it look a bit more professional.  Any tips?  Thank in advance!

Delphi

Delphi · 1 Feb 2018

Working Actors and Models: CastingAbout

Just was wondering what everyone though of this site.  Is it worth getting?  What has it helped you with?  Is it more for tracking things in development, contacting casting directors or other things?

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Feb 2018

Other sites you visit for acting?

What other sites do you visit for all things acting. (I.e: learning, job postings, community advice etc) Backpage Actors access Are the only two I know so far. Any others?

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jan 2018

Schools in LA for no experience beginner

Long story short I wanted to give acting a shot. Never been theater when I was in high school or college, but the feeling of wanting to give it a try has grown on me. Call it mid-life crisis lol. In any case I am looking for recommendations for acting schools that will teach a n00b to act in film/tv. Whenever I google…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jan 2018

Senior year woes

Senior year sucks dick. The people in my life go on and on about how being an actor won't get me anywhere and that I'd be better off chasing something more practical etc. But being an actor is all that's on my mind. This post is going to seem incredibly stupid and naive to you older folks, but I'm having an internal de…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jan 2018

Open Casting Call. 1-31-18. 10am. Orange County, CA

We're hosting an open call for male and female actors for a short social media promotional video. If selected, this is a paid gig ($50/hr) and will probably take 3 hours to film. Filming will take place next week in Anaheim Hills, Ca. The dialogue is minimal (2-3 lines per actor), so nothing to be intimidated by if you…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 30 Jan 2018

Casting call

CASTING CALL FOR MALE ACTORS BASED IN THE SOUTH WEST AREA OF THE U.K. THAT IS THE BRISTOL REGION. THIS PRODUCTION IS SOURCING MALE ACTORS TO PORTRAY AMERICAN POLICE FORCE TEXAS RANGERS. THE PROJECT REQUIRES TOUGH MEAN LOOKING DUDES. REPLY WITH RECENT HEADSHOT. PLEASE ONLY REPLY IF YOU ARE BASED IN THE U.K. SOUTH WEST R…

Delphi

Delphi · 30 Jan 2018

Resources/Coaches, Headshots+: Clips for Reels

I need about :20 seconds of footage from 6 shows that have already aired on TV Land and the Disney Channel.  Aircheck charges about $45 for each.  Anyone know of a cheaper method?

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jan 2018

New to LA: Need some advice

Hello All! I just moved to LA about a month ago and I need some advice on what I should be looking at next. I don't have a manager or agent, but I have a reel, headshots, a website, and about 9 student shorts on my resume. Should I be looking to get a manager at the moment? I'm applying to parts everyday on actor's acc…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jan 2018

Child actor questions - missing school

So this is just a forward thinking , fingers crossed, type question. My son has submitted a self tape for a minor speaking role which lead to a call back in person audition. That is scheduled next week so nothing has been offered but I do have some questions? Since this is a mutli-day and possibly few week shoot, How d…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jan 2018

team left Instagram to make an acting app

Hey actors! Thought I would drop this here - we're a group of thespians who worked in tech for a long time and decided to make something a bit more fun for us to show off voiceover talent. Hope you like it! Oh - and here it is! www.usetold.com. It is only for iPhone right now but we have plans to make it available on A…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jan 2018

How to get your first co star credit?

How do you make the jump from student films to tv? I have a reel and would like to stop going out for student films. In my experience student films are generally a waste of my time and the ones that aren't are at the competitive level of anything else (NYU, Columbia, etc). So with a reel and no agent how do I get my fi…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jan 2018

Newbie disaster

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I've wanted to try acting for YEARS I'm in my early/mid twenties. I live in NYC. I went to a studio today to audit a class and I got soooo intimidated/nervous I just left. I honestly am embarrassed and feel so lame. Everyone seemed so confident and not to mention it was the west village so…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 29 Jan 2018

Acting Dream

I think one of my biggest acting dreams would be to star in a Disney Princess movie. I’ve always been told I have the voice for it and Disney is one of my all time favorite things!

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 29 Jan 2018

Seeking advice

Hi, happy to be here on Stage 32. As a young woman of color, I am looking for roles that accurately represent me. I love films that have strong female characters and break away from stereotypes. Does anyone here have suggestions on what films/filmmakers I should watch? I am looking to discover such work and see which f…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jan 2018

Acting without kissing??

My boyfriend of 6 years firmly believes that you can be a successful actor without doing any kissing scenes. I told him that not only would it limit the amount of roles I would get, but it would also cause my agents to possibly drop me. So, who’s right? Edited: corrected grammar and added more info UPDATE: broke up wit…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jan 2018

Is an ispot.tv actor's subscription worth it?

I was lucky enough to book a national commercial that is now airing and when I track it on spot.tv, I see it's up to 400+ National airings. However, this includes national cable buys and, in fact, all the "last aired on" citations have been on cable. Naturally, I'm interested in seeing where the Class A buys are - I su…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 28 Jan 2018

Online auditions......free?

So I've been neck deep in a writing project with my fiancé for a while now, but it's starting to wrap up and we are moving into the getting it sold phase, which means I'm ready to start auditioning. Problem 1 is my "get by job" has a fairly demanding schedule which limits me a bit to online audition submissions. Proble…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jan 2018

As an aspiring actor or actor, what 1 thing do you regret?

Mine is never pursuing acting from the time i felt i should. Here now pursuing at 25 yr old let's see how the journey goes. Hopefully we all look back on our acting career and life and able to reflect and teach others. Reach one teach one.

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jan 2018

What Does A Film Actor Look For In An Original Screenplay?

Hey, I usually post on the screenwriting sub-Reddit as a person with a literary background. I was wondering though what does an actor for film look for in a script besides how many lines, or how much money one gets paid? I tend to strive for in my own writing to be an ensemble writer. I’ll be reading.

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jan 2018

READ "The Actor's Life" by Jenna Fischer!! It's so helpful!

In case you didn't know who Jenna Fischer is, she plays Pam on The Office. And her book came out fairly recently... it's honestly so extremely helpful without being unrealistic and it really takes you through her journey as a struggling actor to being a successful working actor. Just thought I would recommend because i…