Acting forums, all in one place

19,665 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Aug 2022

Encouragement requested for tired self taught actor

Due to lack of funds, moving around, being in school, moving around again, then lack of funds again, I've had to depend on mostly myself to learn acting and hold myself accountable for growing my skills. It's really hard work with not a lot of validation until I prove myself in shows. I'm getting gigs and working hard…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Aug 2022

Is Shia Labeouf in Even Stevens the best comedic acting by a child actor?

I've personally never seen anything that i think compares. I didn't watch much Doogie, All That, or the Amanda Show, some people have suggested some of the kids on those. Any family sitcom I'm really familiar with, the kids fall short, except Will Friedle, but was already 17 when the series started. The only other kid…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Aug 2022

[PAID] Native Speaker Slovak Voice Actor (M/F) 25-45 y.o.

Looking for a Slovak native speaking voice actor (male/female) in the age of 25-45, for an animation video. The video will be used for internal corporate communication. A professional recording setup is a must. Video length: approx. 3 minutesDeadline: August 25th Payment: € 150 Terms: payment after deliverance final ve…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Aug 2022

Haven’t booked in awhile….theatrical work

Hey everyone I’m an LA based female actor…early 40s, started my career a bit later in life. (2016) First costar booking in 2019. I’ve had a lot of momentum audition wise (theatrical)through 2021 and 2022. I’ve got a great team who values me and gets me out there. I’ve had 5 pins and a producer session for a recurring o…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Aug 2022

Looking for an improv actor with a good imagination!

Hi there! I am looking for an actor who can improv and tell a story that will be recorded. It’s super easy and laid back— just need the right person! The job in total should only take 2ish hours and you will be compensated! No need for camera work— just voice! Must have good internet connection and a quiet room to reco…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Aug 2022

Best Advice from this Sub

The most helpful thing I’ve learned from this sub is to truly let go of all expectations. I’ve realized that no matter what career stage we are at, we actors (and other industry folks too!) share so much of the same anxiety about what is going to happen next. I am slowly learning to lean into the uncertainty and simply…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Aug 2022

Starting Theatre School ... any tips?

Heya, I'm 18F from Germany, starting theatre school soon :) Anybody here maybe willing to talk alittle via DM and give some tips? Actors from Germany and/or in theatre especially welcome haha.

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Aug 2022

I’m terrified

Hello I’ve always wanted to be an actress my whole life. I’m not the stereotype skinny blond though. So I don’t know how much success I would have. I’m thinking about going to a acting school in nyc. I’m terrified of leaving everyone and everything I know for a busy city. I’ve lived in a small town my whole life. I’m a…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Aug 2022

Who wants to read an excerpt of my screenplay: The Laughing Bat?

I’ve been wanting to be an actor/voice actor/writer for a while now and after i watched Godzilla Vs Kong, i was pretty motivated. I wrote a screenplay based off of the Batman Who Laughs. I used the character, Jim Gordon, added a few characters if my own and made a complete plot-line of my own, intense but not extreme l…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Aug 2022

Acting Hair Question

Can I get a perm (M) if I want to be an actor, or should I stick with my natural straight hair?

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2022

Trans teen

I am a teenager who wants to become an actor but I’m trans and not necessarily out so does anybody know what I should do like should I just register as my assigned gender or like should I come out and register as my gender?

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2022

Auditions

How many times a week would you say the average actor auditions? Or you yourself? Really all there is to it. Thanks in advance.

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2022

Moving to NYC vs staying where I am

i wanted to see if I could get the opinions of some others actors, especially anyone NYC based. I’m 25F, earned my BA in theatre two years ago. I live in a medium sized city with a decently sized theatre community. I’ve been consistently auditioning and have been in 5 shows in the last two years, as well as done some s…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2022

I need to stop comparing myself to actresses my age

I started acting when I was 11, and I just turned 25, and I have this bad habit of comparing myself to other actresses my age who are successful. My main passion is Musical Theatre, but I would love to get into tv and film, as I’m going back to college for a communications/theatre degree. Is this normal to feel behind…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2022

jealousy?

Do you guys ever see an actor/actress who is relatively close in age with you, same ethnicity etc etc, but they’re like hella successful and you just get filled with jealousy? I’ve had to block certain actors bc of this. It’s also not that I wish bad on them, it’s more like I wish i was in that position in my life as w…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2022

Hello. I’m new.

I’m 20 years old from Alaska and I’m starting from scratch in the acting industry. That means I don’t have an acting agency, I haven’t taken any acting classes, and I haven’t audition in any theaters, shows, or movies. The only thing I have are acting résumé, headshot (unprofessional), and demo reel (technically compil…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2022

Is it normal to make ‘thank you’ packs for actors?

I’m directing a short film in my home town, and I want to thank my actors for working so hard on my project. I’ve heard of people giving the director a gift, but not so much about the opposite.

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2022

Do I need a professionally recorded demo if...

So here's my question, I'm not trying to come off as cocky or arrogant, this is a question I need an answer to. Do you think I need a professionally produced demo if I am a good writer, know how to professionally mix and master my audio, and I already have an acting coach to direct me? I have always been good at writin…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2022

Who is vanesu samuniyai?

And how did she get the role on The Sandman? I keep reading she’s a “Zimbabwe actress” but she has no IMDB credits?

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2022

The transition from Extra to Actor with minor speaking roles.

Casting Networks sent me an email today about a role in my area that starts out with a casting note, saying "only submit actors". I signed up with a non-exclusive casting agency for extra work a year ago, but I emailed them and asked them to put me forward as I'm confident I can do the role, which is a speaking role in…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2022

Need some help

I've just been brought on my first project and are really thrilled to be working. I got some lines, I recorded, and it sounded great on my end. But after I sent them in, my audio was really low compared to the other actors. Im using Audacity at the moment so maybe I failed to set something correctly? Any info would be…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Aug 2022

Embarrassing BG moment

Hey all, I’m new here but I just had to share this moment from my very first background gig this week (2 night shoots). And wanted to know if anyone else has had these experiences on set as background? We were filming at a theme park for a tv show and right away I noticed this one BG actor seemed like he was definitely…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Aug 2022

Moved to Atlanta

I just moved to Atlanta and I’m looking for projects to work on in the area I’m on actors access and sent to a few casting background agencies but haven’t heard back is there anyone who has advice on where to go to look for castings that will book and what agencies to apply to here in Atlanta?

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Aug 2022

Can a “middle class wealth” actor survive hollywood?

I know some of you guys have read Sydney’s take on finances in Hollywood but I’m really curious, to anyone who’s pursuing acting in Hollywood. What are your thoughts on finances? Is it possible to survive as an actor if you’re only in middle class?

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Aug 2022

Do not blame BIPOC actors for your lack of success.

TL;DR Overall, 60% of all roles in film, tv, and theater are cast as white. Please do not use racism as an excuse to why you’re not working. A recent post from a successful actor in this subreddit got me *heated*. This actor blamed his lull of work to “his sort of roles trending towards other races” which is a racist a…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Aug 2022

What voice actors have the best screams?

There's a video making the rounds on Twitter of some of Mel Blanc's screams for his iconic characters. Between him and William Hanna's screams for Tom and Jerry, what other voice actors would you say have pretty impressive pipes?

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Aug 2022

Don’t be like this person.

Worked on a shoot today and it was for an indie film with a small crew, an actress who was literally hired for 1 scene was one of the most demanding and rudest divas I have worked with in a long time. She spoke so poorly to every crew member, tried to speak over and give “notes” to the director and gave everyone else h…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Aug 2022

Demo reels

I’m a beginner actor and I’ve done stage acting for 4 years . I’m trying to do screen acting and many agencies are asking for demo reels . How do I do that with no type of screen acting footage

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Aug 2022

failed a broadway callback and still think about it

I auditioned for Dear Evan Hansen at one of those cattle calls back when I was like seventeen and got called back almost three years later (a few months ago). It appeared in an email with a zoom appointment with the entire artistic staff -- a complete surprise. They were looking for an understudy replacement for zoe/al…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Aug 2022

Sad and weird situation

Is another network co star role (rhymes with shash bee oh) worth doing if travel/per diem/hotel isn't offered and I'd probably spend more than I make? Weird situation is I'm sort of being submitted by a known sag franchised agency that is submitting me, as well as a manager overseeing stuff, but I haven't signed with e…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Aug 2022

How to start?

I'm not sure is that common question, or just outrageous one. But how to start voice acting I mean I done this twice for my purpose, but it was just bad as you can expect form someone who never done this. I would like to improve my self, to work in some projects. Without experience, and good microphone (I'm using blue…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Aug 2022

I know I’m meant to be an actor but I don’t know how to get there.

Hiya, my name is Robert and I know I’m made to act. I’ve always had an overactive imagination and sense of immersion which lets me really easily feel powerful emotions and feelings. I know acting is something i would thrive at but I just don’t know how to get there. Help please!

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Aug 2022

How would you use Flight Benefits to give you a leg up in this industry?

My girlfriend is an actress. She wants to be on screen in any capacity and here in Minneapolis there are only so many options. We just got a film tax credit so hopefully there will be more opportunities soon. in the meantime, she's been talking about wanting to move to another market. LA or Atlanta come to mind, but I…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Aug 2022

Self taught acting?

I don't have any particularly high aspirations, apart from just improving on the skill of acting just for the sake of fun. I do want to become as good as I can be, but it's just for myself. That being said, I still want to become good at it. So here's my question: Can I become a good actor by learning and acting on my…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Aug 2022

UK actors - Spotlight question

When you have an agent, and they give you "nudge access" or "full access", do you still only see the breakdowns you'd see without an agent, or do you also see the ones sent to agents that might match your profile?

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Aug 2022

Why casual conversations with (some) actors feel so fake?

From all my lifetime, I met two people who did acting. One was a theatre actor and the other did for TV. They are both very energetic, loves to talk and have lots of friends. The thing is, they both kinda lacks the authenticity when talking. When I say something slightly funny they laugh out loud, or something slightly…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Aug 2022

A trailer just came out for a movie I’m in

And I’m not in one second of it, even though I have a strong supporting role. I know I did an awful bland job. They have all the other actors pictures on the movie Instagram page except mine, they’re following all the other actors but me. I’m 33 and I dedicated my whole life to this with nothing to show for it, I’m poo…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Aug 2022

Video Editor being consistently asked to do VO for corporate.

I’d like some advice on whether or not I’m being taken advantage of. I’m a video editor for a decently large company (300+ employees) and about 6 months ago I started being asked to do temp VO for some corporate commercial spots since I have a full audio setup from having been a producer and audio mixer, as well as for…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Aug 2022

Question About the Green Apples Trick for VO

I've heard that, to reduce mouth noise, many voice actors eat a green apple. I have a couple of questions about it... 1. Is there a certain type of green apple that works better than others? 2. How long before recording do you eat the apple? Immediately before seems like it would make your mouth noisier. Thanks!