Acting forums, all in one place

19,659 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Oct 2022

Acting Parallel Careers

What possible parallel jobs or careers could you do **alongside** acting until retirement? For instance, having worked in the restaurant industry, I find it hard to see anyone serving or bartending past a certain age just due to how laborious and physically taxing the job is. Moreover, most restaurant jobs don't offer…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Oct 2022

Backstage is Bullshit. New Actors don’t waste your money on this garbage

Don’t waste your hard-earned money on a backstage membership. The magazine literally gave you the same crappy advice that everybody in the industry gives you. Advice that doesn’t work. Years ago when I was a young actor I was told by an agent that I needed a membership to playbill and backstage because no one would tak…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Oct 2022

Louis Stancil Studios LA Bullshit Industry talks- Avoid!!

Do not attend LS studios industry talks in Los Angeles. Waste of your time. The studio invites agents and managers to do free industry talks at their studio. They advertise that the event is free and you can bring your headshot with you and if the agent is interested they will call you up to do a monologue. This is com…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Oct 2022

Where are you living if you’re not in a major city?

This post is part asking for advice, part ranting. Excuse any tangents. Im sure many of you, like myself, live here in NYC for acting. I’ve made so many connections, friends, success with acting, and the city brought me such joy. I can’t imagine being anywhere else trying to pursue not only my passion, but also living…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Oct 2022

I did it!

I did it! I just landed not just one, but three major roles in an upcoming anime! My first ever paid gig was around 2 years ago, and since then I’ve only done small gigs for content creators. But now, my audition won and I got casted for a role and ended up getting casted for 2 more in the same project! I feel like thi…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Oct 2022

disagree with an emotional stage direction for a self tape...?

**UPDATE:** Thanks so much for everyone who weighed in! General consensus was definitely **a)** there's truly no right answer and **b)** see what it would be like to keep the stage direction as written, but play with my own interpretation not as written (clearly it went much deeper than that, but just to generalize). I…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2022

Cold email service providers for VO

For those of us doing our own direct email marketing efforts and using a service of some kind to automate this, who do you use? I found out the hard way that most of the email service providers out there have a rule that even if you follow the can-spam act to the letter, you've got to have a subscriber's permission fir…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2022

Upset about my self-tape

Hey y'all.. I filmed self-tapes for the YoungArts competition thingy, but looking back, I kind of hate them. I could've done way more or intensified it a little more. I feel like it didn't show off my 'best.' I just feel frustrated and disappointed because I don't have time to re-record. It's due today, and I have been…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2022

Will I be Taft-Hartley’d under the Short Film Agreement?

My friend is producing and directing a short, with a budget of about $30k. He is hiring some SAG actors, and some non-union. I was cast as a substantial principal role, and am non-union. The project will be under the Short Film Agreement. I am having trouble finding information on whether or not this will result in my…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2022

Dwayne Johnson Should Not Be Black Adam

The rock has become such a character in himself that now, whenever i see him play a role, he is just Dwayne Johnson, not whatever character he's playing. It really takes away from whatever he's in because I just see a celebrity, not a character. I have kind of lost respect for him as an actor as he has just become le b…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2022

Kirsten Potter (VA)

Hello! So here's the deal: My best friend's birthday is coming up. And I want to surprise her buy having miss Potter (voice actress) record a happy birthday message in a video game character voice she adores. But problem is that miss Potter doesnt seem to have social media or any way to contact and ask if she would be…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2022

Is acting more about the “look” rather than talent?

A friend of mine has been studying drama for three years and has performed in theatre on occasion and despite going for some auditions for TV etc, has never been cast. Then I know another guy who has an ordinary job but has a particular looking face and looks more like an generic “actor. He recently got cast in a part…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2022

Actors Access Audition Question

So I submitted for a role in a student film. Two roles were posted I was a good fit for, I only submitted for one. Was invited to audition via Eco Cast, and was given link to entire script. On reading the script I realize the role I didn’t submit for is a better fit for me. Is there a good practices anyone can recomend…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2022

How do you achieve a deep character voices?

I'm trying to learn techniques that are used to achieve different voices and I'm trying to figure out how deep voices are done. One example is Yoseph Calvert from Astral Chain. [Here is an example of his voice](https://youtu.be/K-erRwt2EwE?t=1387) (If time stamp doesn't work, go to 23:07). His voice actor is Joe J Thom…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2022

Background Acting Full Time?

I do not want to be a real actor or later have a career in this industry unless it's voice work, but I am looking for job options I can be compatible with and not be in customer service anymore until I can make my own form of income going. I like the idea of working on projects too and I would appreciate seeing how thi…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2022

can I still be fat and be an actress??

Acting is something I’ve always wanted to do but I never see anybody my size play anything other than a “funny” side character or they’re always used as a political statement. What do I do? Should I like lose weight??

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2022

Creating art and improving on it

Hey all, this may seem like a bit of a silly title. However, I’m a relatively fresh Australian Actor. I’m a young, aspiring country person wanting to be apart of something. I want (as the title suggests) to add to this visual medium that we call Television and movies and indie films. I want to help create this beautifu…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Oct 2022

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Feedback

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Oct 2022

[Hiring] Voice Actor for advertising copy

Hiring voice talent to record a handful of voice over lines to be used in video ads for a game. Looking to cast both male and female voices with native American or Canadian English accents. Here is a reference for the tone and style of the voice over we're aiming for: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHzDdvfOEhU](https…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Oct 2022

I have very minimum interest in watching movies and shows due to my long term depression, what are some shows/movies I should watch to keep myself updated with the Acting world?

Warning: Kind of a long post, sorry! TLDR at the end :) Hello! So as the title says, I lost interest in my hobbies and basic things like watching entertainment once my depression settled in. I didn't realise this until recently and I've been dealing with it since I was 11. I've graduated from uni for my Acting course a…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Oct 2022

What to do going forward with my YouTube channel?

So I have YouTube channel that basically serves as my default website/portfolio (I have an actual website, but my YouTube channel has attracted me more attention do to how big YouTube is) it has all my reels, all things I voiced in are neatly organized a playlist by year, and I have portfolio playlist that I can send t…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Oct 2022

Quebec actors question

Does anyone know how I can self-represent myself and submit to private breakdowns if I live in Quebec?

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Oct 2022

Been with my agent 6 months and I've only had 4 auditions...is this normal?

So I got my first agent in April and since then she's gotten me 4 auditions and I haven't booked any of them (which I guess is to be expected since I'm new and still finding my footing). I figured that since I'm an ACTRA Apprentice with no professional credits on my resume (only Student theatre/film projects) that that…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Oct 2022

REALITY TV HOST

Hello All, ​ I know the question of whether you should be a reality tv actor is generally a no-no. However, I have been approached to Host a reality tv show. Would this be good or bad for my career if I am looking to get more serious roles later on. Would hosting be as damaging as being a contestant? For example…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Oct 2022

When did you hire your first PR person/agency?

So I think I know the answer to this already, but would still love to have some insight. I've recently booked a recurring co-star on a network show that has become meatier each episode they bring me back, to where in the latest, I have an entire scene with just the main actor and I. (I think if I get another scene like…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Oct 2022

How long did it take to hear a callback?

Hey, I am new and love getting advice and hearing everyone’s stories so I’m curious. How long did it take to get a call back for a movie/short film/ commercial even if it’s for a background character? How many auditions did you apply to? Especially on BACKSTAGE or Actors Access?

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Oct 2022

Should an agency/manager make you sign up for Actors Access?

So I just had a phone call with someone from an agency and they said I needed to sign up for Actors Access. Is this something required or is this a red flag? I'm not looking to get scammed. The agency is called Golden Artists Entertainment in Atlanta, anyone know it?

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Oct 2022

Avail check question

So I got an avail check last week for shoot dates that were around 3 weeks out from that date. The original audition was through Actors Access, but the casting director asked us to email them to confirm availability and vax status. I did that, and just to be safe, I replied to their C-Mail message. They didn’t send any…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Oct 2022

Best acting workshops for beginners

I am a new actor who is just in love with the art of acting, but my city is super small and does not have any acting classes, can y'all send some of the best acting workshops that you guys know?

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Oct 2022

MY MINDSET/IDEAS OF SUCCESS IN ACTING NEED TO BE CHANGED. Please help.

I want to be one of those actors who don’t care at ALL about awards, merits, recognition and all that stuff, and instead only care about the love of their craft, the work they get to do, the creativity, collaboration, and experience of acting. But I’m not one of those actors. I DO care about the work and the craft and…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Oct 2022

My scene made it into the extended cut! (and what to do now?)

Hey guys, So this is my story. Back in February 2021 I was scrolling through reddit, and I found myself on r/marvelstudiosspoilers. I found a post that was linked to an extras casting facebook page, and decided to sign up for it because I live near Atlanta (where the movie was being filmed). The movie turned out to be…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Oct 2022

Why are many actors writers and vive versa?

Any TV show or movies when looked up about the cast, many of them are also writers, producers and directors. But more often than anything else I've found that they are actors and writers. Why is that? I don't intend to say that they mustn't be both or many aside to acting. But seeing this the case repeatedly makes me w…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Oct 2022

I was booked for a show without auditioning

This doesn't happen to me too often, but I've done quite a lot of true crime shows, non-union shows etc. I am wondering if word of mouth has gone around from doing previous work on other shows in order to be booked for this show particularly. I do have a reel and resumé that are top notch and it's casting director(s) t…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Oct 2022

Feeling a little low

I am trying to be an actor and currently pursuing an associate degree in fine arts, but I’m already in my late 20s. I have a backstage account and a profile that could use some work but overall isn’t bad. I just don’t have any experience to show on it. I’ve applied to couple things and actually got call backs but the s…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Oct 2022

Need your Two Cents

Hey there guys, real quick, my latest job I was the star of a 45 minute episode of the finale of an anthology series (different stories and actors each episode). On my resume I put "Episode Lead" but do you think "star" or "Guest star" would be more appropriate here? Thank you.

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Oct 2022

Looking for actors in the LA area to embark on the journey of a lifetime

Analogies aside, I am looking for like-minded LA-based actors/comedians who want in on creating a social media dynasty! I have loads of longer-form (5 mins; for YouTube) and short-form (1-2 mins; mainly for TikTok) comedy/horror sketch ideas to produce, and a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4k camera to shoot with. I would lo…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Oct 2022

MY MINDSET/IDEAS OF SUCCESS IN ACTING NEED TO BE CHANGED. Please help.

I want to be one of those actors who don't care at ALL about awards, merits, recognition and all that stuff, and instead only care about the love of their craft, the work they get to do, the creativity, collaboration, and experience of acting. But I'm not one of those actors. I DO care about the work and the craft and…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Oct 2022

New media and sag-e?

Not getting ahead of myself but curious—I have an audition for a sag podcast—if I book it, does it make me sag-e? I’ve seen how new media content creators can do this but not actors.

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Oct 2022

How to release suppressed emotions?

Acting is all about emotions. But I’m one of those people who are very “cold” and “unemotional” (while still dreaming of being an actor lol). The reason I’m like this is that I learned from an early age to “hide” my emotions, feelings, and opinions from certain people (namely family) in order to avoid being harmed, moc…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Oct 2022

Audition

I (14F) found a paid audition for a feature film that's being directed by Ethan Coen. It's for background characters in a scene and I am in the big age range for the actors. No headshot nor reel is necessary for the audition. To me it sounds worth it, and Ethan Coen seems like someone worth putting as a director I work…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Oct 2022

Toronto: what is your experience at these acting studios?

I’m looking for an acting class that can build me a solid foundation as an actor. I been looking into Lbacting,Armstrong, EVN, and pro actors lab but I want to know what do you think is best? What was your experience with these studios?

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Oct 2022

Do I need social media?

Hi! I’m a 20 year old actor (screen) and have had social media for a very long time. However, I’m at a point where I find it very addicting and honestly useless, other than the connections I’ve made with it. Now, I want to get rid of my socials, but I’m holding onto them because of these connections. Can y’all tell me…