Acting forums, all in one place

19,659 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Oct 2022

Commercial acting: W-9 or W-2

Hi all - I tried searching the sub but didn’t find this exact answer. I was hired for a job as the lead in a commercial. It was a 2 day shoot, out of town. Afterwards, I was told to submit a W9 form as an independent contractor. I’ve done several shoots in the past, and have always been given a W2. Technically I don’t…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Oct 2022

Calling in sick standards? Equity standards?

TLDR: what standards are there for calling in sick in professional theatre? For equity productions? Do you need a doctors note? Hello! I'm an actor in a pre professional college theatre program and we've been having a lot of issue with our faculty having weird demands and standards that are extremely taxing on us as no…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Oct 2022

Is it important to consider race specific casting when filming a self tape?

Hey guys, some elaboration. Sorry if this is an embarrassing question but bear with me. I'm a white man, auditioning for a white role in an original play that acts alongside a gay, black character. It is deeply specific that the character (and of course actor) is gay and black. Is it important to consider demographics…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Oct 2022

Should I try to get an agent?

Hi, I’m a 17F based in Miami and I’m really struggling to find open casting calls in my area. I know that getting an agent can make finding auditions easier, but I’ve heard that many agents want for actors to have some experience acting on camera. I have no experience in acting besides acting in my school’s productions…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Oct 2022

is it a waste of time for an actor to study drama & theatre at uni?

(f19) i have been at uni in london for 4 weeks and have been wondering whether i am wasting my time doing this degree as my main goal is to be an actress/performer. it seems like what we are being taught won’t really help me do what i want to do. it is all based around theatre and practitioners like stanislavsky and i…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Oct 2022

Voice Actor Needed!

Hello I’m an indie developer looking for a talented voice actress to voice one of the characters in my upcoming game, Witchslayer: Genesis! If you’re interested in the role, follow the link in the post!

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2022

Questions about being paid as an actor

I'm new to acting and I had some questions about getting paid. How do actors get paid when they do TV shows? Especially if they are not a part of SAG-AFTRA? I’m asking this because I’ve been applying to open casting calls recently for big productions and they don’t expect you to have any acting experience. I’m not sure…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2022

LAMDA MA Classical Acting for International Students

Hey guys! Are there any LAMDA alumni or people with any insight into the school on this sub? I was offered a spot on their MA Classical Acting for International Students this year. Unfortunately, I couldn’t accept because I already signed for another job at a theatre in my country. But – they were kind enough to put me…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2022

ADHD and Acting

I am diagnosed with ADHD and recently started medication, Concerta. Has medication ever negatively effected your craft, rendered you flat or numb. If you are in a similar position and are an actor please send tips, many thanks, Lara

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2022

MARRIED ACTORS: What do you do with your wedding band/ring?

Just got married this month! Woohoo and all that :) Going to be on set in a few film productions here soon in which my character is NOT married. Anyway, what do y’all do with your rings/bands when you are on set? I’d like to find a way to keep it on me somehow, maybe lace it on a necklace (tucked into my shirt) but I’m…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2022

Voice acting for a videogame im making

Hi everyone im making a game and im loonking for a bunch of voice actor it's very short it's only 1 phrase and one "grunt", hit me up here or on discord if you want to participate, thanks in advance ! ​ [https://discord.gg/ZkFnuV2PGn](https://discord.gg/ZkFnuV2PGn)

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2022

LA vs NYC

Hi, I know this has been a question that has beat to death, but I’ve been planning whether to eventually move to Los Angeles or New York City for film/TV acting. Yes, I’m aware that there are many more opportunities in Los Angeles compared to New York, and that the general advice is for actors who want to focus on stag…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2022

Help with positivity

Hey guys, I am an actress (25) who in the past year had a guest star and costar on popular streaming services. I am really struggling to believe I ever will book again. I know this is ridiculous and I should be great full for what I have booked but it is hard when everyone around me is booking consistently. I hardly au…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2022

Best Places to find reputable Voice acting/ Vocal coach

Hello My name is Jayden and Im an aspiring voice actor im currently trying to find a good way into this business. Im looking to learn all I need to be a great voice actor I Took an online acting class recently but found I learn better 1 on 1 preferably. Can I also learn the acting aspect of voice acting by just getting…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2022

Have auditions slowed for anyone else? Is it my agency?

I’m F23 and have a “boutique” agency with locations in TX, NYC, LA and I’ve gotten maybe 50 auditions this year including self-submissions. I booked 1 commercial through my agent, and they didn’t even know until I told them. They didn’t ask about when I’d be on set or give a shoutout. I recently got fully vaccinated, (…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2022

Potential scam/how to proceed?

Got two messages this morning. THEM: Hello (my name), this is (their name). I got your contact from your website, Voice over actor needed for a commercial game host show advert project. Please respond if you are available and interested. ME: Hey (their name)! Thanks for getting in touch. I'm definitely interested :) TH…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2022

Is this considered a callback?

So I recently auditioned for an open casting call and last week I got an invite through email to an actors access form to read sides and submit a self-tape. Is this considered a callback? Do I have a chance at booking?

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2022

musical education for camera actor?

Does it make sense to go into musical (singing, dancing, stage acting) education if I want to eventually be in TV shows and movies? Practice is Practice but should I not keep looking for something camera acting based?

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2022

Did they commit career suicide?

Before voting, check out this post. https://www.reddit.com/r/VoiceActing/comments/y4tnwz/helena_taylors_response_but_you_dont_have_to/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button Ok, so, this poll may be more controversial than usual, but I think it's important as act…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2022

What’re the most useful psychology topics/classes for aspiring actors?

I’m a junior in college and am currently in my first acting class. While I started late, I really like acting so far and want to pursue it further. I’ve noticed from day one that psychology is everywhere in acting, whether it’s building characters, learning behaviors, or understanding relationships. As such, I wanna ex…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2022

Any experience on beta blockers?

I sometimes have crippling stage fright when I audition. This is something I’ve suffered my whole life. There’s this actress I know who used it when she was really nervous for a screen test and it worked wonders for her. I know this isn’t something to get used to and take often but I’ve been thinking about at least try…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2022

I need voice actor for roast battle videos

I need someone who can voice my videos for a roast battle. I preferrably want someone who can do any kind of African American accent well and knows slang. I read the rules and it says don't ask to hire if it is for profit and you won't pay. If it the content does go viral and I make any profit I WILL share it. Other th…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2022

Questions from a beginner actor

As a beginning actor (14F) I want to ask some questions that I want to hear from actual people who have answers and not Google. It looks like a lot, it's not. What is SAG? Do you need to be part of it for good roles? I don't know much about it or what it's exactly for. If you're part of an agency does that make you Uni…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2022

Why do some NYC based actors have LA managers?

I know/see some actors based in NYC and on the east coast who are signed with reputable management companies based in Los Angeles. They will have an agent in NYC but a manager in LA. What are the reasons for this? What are the pros and cons? What do they have to gain from signing with a manager in LA instead of signing…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2022

dream audition

I am a 16 year old actress from Greece, I’ve been participating in theatre classes for the past 11 years and I’ve taken part in multiple Greek films and series. My current desire is being able to audition for house of the dragon. I know it’s a really big show and the chances of me getting a role are not big, but I’m wi…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2022

Can a teen become an anime voice actor someday?

So i would like to become an English anime voice Actor one day, and is now a good time to start or should i wait? Ive never had any experience with voice acting before so im unsure of where to start or if i need to train my voice or not. I dont want to be diving into a big project yet like i want to start with somethin…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2022

I need some advice

So im 13 I've been wanting to act since i was 7 didn't tell my mom till i was 11, i wish i did a whole lot earlier because things would have been easier but no i have to pretty much do things myself, i wanna be a child actress because my imagination is strong and i feel like of i wait to long and i become an adult i fe…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2022

Just got an agent - zero acting experience please advise on next steps

Hi, I’m a male in my late 20s in the LA market. Just recently got into acting by taking my first scene study class and really enjoyed it. In the last month that I’ve been here (I just moved and don’t know much about the city) I’ve already started talking to two agents (one which I met on the street and one which was a…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2022

Japanese Voice Actor Needed!

Hello! Need a Japanese voice actor, preferably a woman's voice, to say the following line: "Due to copyright issues, we couldn't use the anime quote we wanted to." The story is, in planning a fun video, we realized some custom music we made sampled an anime voice, so now we're pulling that and placing this instead as a…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2022

how do actors feel when people compliment/criticize your character?

Hey, I'm just curious and I thought that was a good place to ask this questions, I hope it's okay. So... when someone compliment or criticize your character regardless of your job (something written for him, like "I hate your character so much, I got so angry when he kicked that puppy" or "your character is such a good…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2022

anyone go the extra mile for their self-tapes?

for the past 2-3 years or so I been wanting to go the extra mile for my self-tapes. Be like a co-actor that I know..he went the extra mile and turned his extra mile into a side hustle. His self-tapes are beautiful. he quit his job and made his side hustle his main source of income. He could be making a killing if he wa…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2022

I'm making a resume website. Need some feedback

Hello fellow actors. I'm creating a small resume website, which is started as resume page for myself. But I realised that I can share and turn it into a resume based database. So basically you'll have a page with info about you online that you can share or print with anyone and lock for pricacy with password if needed.…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2022

First CoStar audition on a major network

I just got my first co star role audition on a major network with recognizable actors and my audition is only one line. I’ve been to workshops where casting directors mention it’s difficult to cast these one liners bc there’s no much the actor can go off of. Do y’all have any tips on how to stand out even with one line…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2022

Brand New and I'm Hooked!

I did drama and theater classes in high school and a little bit in college and I **loved it** but I was discouraged from seeking a career in acting by many of the adults in my life at the time. Eventually I listened to them and gave it up in college. Fast forward 20+ years, now I'm 40 and I've been having strong urges…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2022

question for actors who are also filmmakers : getting your short film accepted on imdb

to anyone who has successfully got their short film on imdb, what would you say is the bare minimum required to get your film accepted onto imdb ? I am in the process of making my first short film with a very small budget. I'll be 100% honest with you guys, my main goal is just to get an imdb credit, and not so much ab…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2022

Unknown Force, can someone help me out?

This is kind of a weird question to ask but when you finally made the decision that you want to be an actor. Has anyone experienced an unknown force? Like you finally stepped into your purpose but there is negative energy that follows Some experiences could be jealousy, crab in bucket mentality from peers. I can't help…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2022

Am I crazy…?

I get a couple self tapes (usually costars) a month from my manager, and don’t have a theatrical agent yet. Been w manager since Feb and haven’t had a CB or booked anything through them. Pre covid I’ve had CBs for stuff (on the guest star level) and have gotten good feedback but have never booked a network credit. I ha…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Oct 2022

Agents for Theatre?

Do agents who submit actors for film and television also sometimes submit actors for theatre or is that a different thing? Do actors usually have agents for theatre or do most just go to open calls? Couldn’t quite find the info I was looking for online. Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Oct 2022

Bladerunner 2099 casting

Does anybody kmow how to find casting calls for projects like this? Im a local film actor for the past 6 years and Ive never been able to find casting calls for shows Id actually watch. AA and backstage only seem to offer casting for indie films or for white males corrupt cop roles. Im not complaining but I meet alot o…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Oct 2022

Voice Lines Not Sounding Good Together

I'm working on an animated film project and getting many voice actors to help voice act for it, all are great at voice acting and everything they have delivered is quality. My problem comes when putting lines together and they don't flow as well as I'd like them to, it's mostly the different microphones sounding rather…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Oct 2022

[PAID] $25 Female Voice Actress 30's to 40's

Hello, I need a female voice artist to record one line. This MUST be a high quality recording, the recording room MUST be treated and there must be a minimum of 3 different takes, max of 5. The line: “I hope when we look back, we remember we asked for this” My wife spoke bitterly, shattering the silence. I use Paypal o…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Oct 2022

[PAID] $25 Female Voice Actress 30's to 40's

Hello, I need a female voice artist to record one line. This MUST be a high quality recording, the recording room MUST be treated and there must be a minimum of 3 different takes, max of 5. The line: “I hope when we look back, we remember we asked for this” My wife spoke bitterly, shattering the silence. I use Paypal o…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Oct 2022

Chicago Improv Classes - CIC vs Annoyance (2022)

What are everyone's thoughts on the CIC long-form improv program versus Annoyance's classes for film/tv actors who are new to improv and would like to broaden/improve their skillset (e.g., creative thinking on your feet, being present and listening/reacting, etc.)? Does anyone have any experience taking either roughly-…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Oct 2022

Question for actors who have worked on a project that used heavy CGI

I’m watching house of dragons and thinking to myself, “imagine if all of these huge sets were actually real!” (I know some locations might be but much of this set is known to be using one of the biggest cgi system in the business.) But I’m curious if after the actors watch it in post, do they ever remember the scene as…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Oct 2022

Acting Parallel Careers

What possible parallel jobs or careers could you do **alongside** acting until retirement? For instance, having worked in the restaurant industry, I find it hard to see anyone serving or bartending past a certain age just due to how laborious and physically taxing the job is. Moreover, most restaurant jobs don't offer…