Acting forums, all in one place

19,647 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 29 May 2018

Would you rather be good or lucky?

I heard a story recently of a hockey coach who was asked if he would rather be a good player or a lucky one. As an actor, if you had to, which one would you choose? The words ''good'' and ''lucky'' are up to your interpretation.

Reddit

Reddit · 28 May 2018

Want to be in our movie

Fredi 'Kruga' Nwaka is an actor and director, known for Brotherhood (2016), The Intent (2016) and Legacy (2015) to be in are we dead yet link in http://blackunited.co.uk #acting

Reddit

Reddit · 28 May 2018

Hey Actors/Actresses, will you check out the site I built?

I’m looking for any actors/actresses looking for exposure to test my site, Talentspots.com It’s essentially a talent and crew network I just made that’s designed to showcase models, actors, film crew, photographers and creatives and connect them to jobs and castings. Kind of like Modelmayhem, but less shady and more co…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 May 2018

Looking for actor/creative flatmates in London.

Hey guys, I'm a 21\-year\-old British actor currently based in the North, but now that I've secured a London agent and most of my auditions/work is in London, I'm hoping to move down by the end of August. So, is there anybody on here that would maybe like to meet for a coffee and talk about moving in somewhere together…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 May 2018

Acting in Michigan

Hello all I was wondering if there are any of you out there acting in Michigan? I'm and 23yr old wanna be actor trying to he his start but aside from few musical theater opportunities I can't seem to find anything for film, short, student, or features. If there is someone out there acting in Michigan south west area I'…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 May 2018

I don’t know what to do...

So I started training in the 3rd grade, I am now 21. I am a middle eastern american actor in the south, I speak fluent english farsi and french. I have plenty of credits on my resume but no SAG credits and a lack of work that I can use for a reel. The issue is - how can I build a reel if no one is letting me audition f…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 May 2018

NYU Tisch BFA Drama or USC BA Theatre ?

Ah, an age old debate between the two coasts. First and foremost, I'd like to say that I'm extremely grateful to have been accepted to both schools as a transfer student for this upcoming Fall 2018 semester. A little bit of info. about myself; Although I might describe myself as a theatre enthusiast(?) My primarily goa…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 May 2018

Advice for an aspiring actor

Hi guys! I'm reasonably new to this reddit. I just wondered if you guys had any advice you could give me on how to pursue a career in the acting/film industry. I'm 16 years old and I finish high school in 2 weeks! I'm extremely passionate about acting and driven to become successful, however, I don't know where to star…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 May 2018

Some questions about applying to agents

My apologies if these questions are A\) Dumb, or B\) Have been asked before. Young actor, a good amount of experience on my resume, sending out my first wave of applications to smaller local agencies and London mega\-agencies alike. Some last minute questions before I send away my applications: Do I send my cover lette…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 May 2018

Practical Aesthetics/Strasberg Method

Fellow aspiring actors of Reddit, Having lost touch of my goal to become a successful actor for a while (I had a lot going on and wasn't in a good place, so my dream took a backseat for a while), I'm finally feeling like I'm getting my passion and drive back! I'm about to enroll in a really prestigious acting course (n…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 May 2018

Taking the Plunge

So I need some advice hive mind. I’m a 22 year old character actor currently living in Denver. I have a fair amount of theatre credits and I’m working on building up my film reel. Now it’d still be a couple years off but I’m an anal retentive planner but I wanna move away from Denver to pursue acting full time. I have…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 May 2018

Best types of roles for when you're just starting out?

I know that this is a weird question but I was just wondering about it. When actors are just starting out, which kinds of movie roles are the most likely to really launch their careers? I've been thinking about becoming an actor and I wanted to know what would be the best path to breaking into hollywood. Obviously osca…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 May 2018

If you worked hard to become an actor by yourself, and managed to become successful, and met up with a childhood friend who also wanted to become an actor but is struggling, would you help them out or let them struggle and do it on their own?

It's a hypothetical question. Please tell me why/why not. By helping them out I mean giving them your agent's contact info, telling them about roles, etc... And by letting them struggle I mean let them work hard ; "you had to work hard and fail a lot, why should they have it easy?" :)

Reddit

Reddit · 27 May 2018

Survival On Set (SOS) A unique class for actors

**SURVIVAL ON SET \- A UNIQUE ACTING SEMINAR \- HOLLYWOOD \- LOS ANGELES \- JUNE 6TH AND 13TH** "SURVIVAL ON SET" SEMINARS ILLUMINATE THE ENTIRE ON\-SET PROCESS FOR ACTORS." WITH OVER 70,000 HOURS ON SET, MICHAEL FREDIANI CAN TEACH YOU HOW TO THINK ON YOUR FEET TO ENHANCE THE SHOT AND HOW TO BE FREE TO FOCUS ON YOUR CR…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 May 2018

Australian Casting Websites

Hey fellow Aussie actors! I would love to know which casting websites you guys use and/or recommend- there are a lot out there and I would love to know your opinions! Also what does everyone think of IMDB Pro? Thanks!

Backstage

Backstage · 25 May 2018

Headshots with hands?

Hey everybody, I just got my headshots back and the one I like best has my hand in it. The hand is not covering something in my face, just resting on my shoulder/collarbone. Is it unproffesional and/or distracting to use a headshot with my hand and part of my forearm...

Reddit

Reddit · 25 May 2018

Do you think it's much harder for actors now vs. then?

What do you think actors of yesteryear would think of what actors are up against today when moving to an expensive city like LA or NYC? They had it tough as it is. It's never easy to pack up and move to a big city especially to become an actor. But I wonder how they would view this new requirement that we all have a "s…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 May 2018

Where to do after I graduate?

I'm currently a junior accounting major and I've been interested in getting into acting for the past couple years, but I wanted to focus on getting my degree and so I could have a good job, and a good fallback, while I took acting classes. I'm getting recruited by some pretty big firms (Deloitte, KPMG, etc.) and my que…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 May 2018

OK so...This is weird for me, but......

Ok so starting off, thanks for reading this. Just submitting my post is outside my comfort zone in this area, to say the least. You are all going to be mad but bare with me, please. So... I am not an actor, but I think I can be one. I think I would be able to play the role of an emotional tough guy very well since...th…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 May 2018

Want to work on your craft today?

Your physical body is a perfect vessel for revealing emotion. Do you pull on your bottom lip when you are thinking? Do your shoulders slump when you hear bad news? Do you clap your hands together when you get excited? Can you not make eye contact when you are nervous? One of your jobs as an actor is to find and know th…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 May 2018

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - May 24

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 May 2018

What acting hashtags do you follow?

On instagram you can follow hashtags, and on Twitter you can search by them. I’m already on board of some like #acting and #actorslife or even #auditions, but was wondering what others I may be missing out on that could be interesting for a fellow actress. Thanks and have a lovely week!

Reddit

Reddit · 24 May 2018

Reel questions: amateur vs. professional

It's my understanding that a reel is ideally made up of the actor featured in a variety of scenes that are part of professional grade projects. I was hoping folks could shed a light on what exactly qualifies as reel material for a beginning actor with some on camera experience. Could someone use student projects, web s…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 May 2018

Commercial Auditioning

Hi ya'll! I'm an actor in ATL and lately I've been getting TONS of commercial auditions. I feel like I have a good commercial look and I feel like I do a good job at the auditions- yet I never seem to book! It's just so frustrating. I get called in by the same CDs over and over so that has to be a good sign... yet it's…

Backstage

Backstage · 22 May 2018

Class Recommendations

I'm looking for theatrical (as in not commercial) acting class recommendations Specifically, I want a class that has the following elements: -meets at least once weekly in an ongoing setting -focuses on on-camera work -focuses on auditions/audition technique Ideally, the class would be open for audits before enrolling…

Backstage

Backstage · 22 May 2018

Breaking Into VoiceOvers

What is the best way to break into voice overs? Is it luck of the draw? Righ place, right time, connections, networking....? Most agents and clients prefer those with experience, but how does one gain experience when the focus is primarily on those with experience?

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2018

Has anyone hear anything about Chapman university?

Hi, sorry if this isn't the right sub to post this in. I am graduating at my community college within a year or so and have been trying to find a low cost university that can help me grow as an actor. My cc has been great so far and I'm looking to build on that to hopefully create a career in the future. I have been lo…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2018

Reel Question For Actors

Hi everyone, I'm a director. I just premiered my first feature film at a small theater in my town. I'm ready to share the film with the actors to use in their reels. So here is my question - is it customary to edit down an actors' footage, so the footage I send each individual is only theirs? Or is it legit to just sha…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2018

Collegehumor

Is there any way to become one of the actors under *Collegehumor*? I have a similar humor/style to the videos they make and I know they have a cast they use(besides some main people in a series).

Reddit

Reddit · 21 May 2018

Any LA actors using Uncut Casting Services?

I'm looking for a calling service to book more background work. This one seems to have the most positive reviews on Yelp. Does anyone have firsthand experience?

Reddit

Reddit · 21 May 2018

Digital content/New Media managers in New York

Hello, I know how annoying it is when actors want to be spoonfed information and don't do any research themselves, but I'm currently a bit stuck. I've been trying to make a list of agents and managers who are taking interest in up and coming 'new media' creators \(aka youtube stars and such\) and how to balance that ou…

Backstage

Backstage · 20 May 2018

Signed with my first agent but no correspondence

Hi all! I signed with my first agent (they're actually an agent and management company) about 3 weeks ago. My agent told me about a few jobs he was going to pitch me for and he recommended I updated my headshots and gave me great advice about my type and...

Backstage

Backstage · 20 May 2018

Not Granting Permission to Use the Footage

Hi. I recently played a role in a student film (no pay, haven’t signed a release form either). I didn’t like the culture on set and the direction that the film started to take. What can I do to not allow them to use the footage of me that they...

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2018

Talent Manager

I'm still a studying actor and fairly new (about 3 semesters of community college into it) but I've read a ton of recommended books from my working actor friends (whom I'm not so close with anymore). I've been a signed model to a fairly large agency in LA for around 2 years. I'm currently working and going to school fu…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2018

Moving to Peterborough

Hey guys! I’m moving back to Canada in the summer (most likely going to be in Peterborough) and I’m very new to acting. I have always wanted to be an actress but due to moving around a lot and being very shy, I never really had the chance to stick to it and improve. Recently my school decided to make a short film as a…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2018

Actors Access

Hey guys! So I recently got an agent, and I'm completely new to the film world. I've had several auditions the past few weeks, and my last submitted audition was last night. I got a cmail message congratulating me on my agent submitting that last audition tape to the casting director and I was very confused. Are my oth…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2018

I need volunteers to voice act in my unofficial English dubs

Hello! I'm looking for talented actors with good quality audio or just someone who's looking to learn about voice acting and just acting in general to voice act in some anime's I'm dubbing. I'll put together all of the audio into one video and it'll be like an English dub. But a English dub that doesn't sound like garb…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2018

Online acting school pre acting school

I understand that online is no replacement for face to face training. I am looking for an online acting school that can prepare me for acting school a year from now.

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2018

[Australia] A couple of questions about seriously pursuing film/TV acting

Hey everyone, So I'm 25, currently based on the Gold Coast, Queensland. I'd like to know; 1\) Would I need to move to Melbourne or Sydney eventually? 2\) How much experience or how many booked roles should I aim for prior to considering a move to LA? I've had minimal acting experience \(extra on the set of a feature fi…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2018

Uncomfortable confrontation in my acting class.

Something pretty weird \(and awkward\) happened in my acting class today, and I'm curious to know others' opinions on it. So normally, the class is just me and one other person, but another person enrolled for the remainder of the session after shadowing one class a few weeks ago. During the class she shadowed we went…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2018

I hate my life

All I want is to act. I wish it can just be easy for me. Right now, I have no access to transportation and I don't have a lot of money. My mom doesn't know how to just simply talk to me. Everything turns into a lecture where it sounds like she's attacking me. She wants me to find something else since I need to find a j…