Reddit · 26 Jun 2018
Discuss a performance you saw recently - Jun 26
Talk about a performance you saw recently, in any medium-stage, TV, film. Good or bad; what did you like about it? What didn't seem to work? The more specific the better.
19,648 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.
Reddit · 26 Jun 2018
Talk about a performance you saw recently, in any medium-stage, TV, film. Good or bad; what did you like about it? What didn't seem to work? The more specific the better.
Reddit · 25 Jun 2018
So my short film is about a retired ballerina. There's a short scene of her at the beginning of the film aged in her early 20s and then the rest of the film is set while she's in her early thirties. The actress is perfect for the role, just looks a bit young to make 30 look believable. The character is played by the sa…
Reddit · 25 Jun 2018
tips. never practice in the mirror- you’re never going to get the right facial expression on your face if you keep looking at yourself. also you might feel awkward. watch a lot of movies, learn the craft!! forget about watching the movie for the plot.. watch the movie and pay attention to the actors and the way they mo…
Reddit · 25 Jun 2018
I am an actor in NYC , I have some footage and hoping to get it edited in a reel. I am student and not making much, anyone have recommendation of a program I could use to do it myself or a company that does this for a reasonable price. Any advice is welcomed ! Thanks !
Reddit · 25 Jun 2018
I’m a bit of a film buff and the world of films/movies amazes me especially with actors and their talents. Any tips? on how I can get started from no experience at all and work my to the top as I’ve got the willingness to work hard, Network and whatever as this would be something I have a passion towards and can consta…
Reddit · 25 Jun 2018
I'm looking for a actor for a short online skit and was thinking of going through casting agencies. Does anyone know the approximate price range of contracting a casting agency in LA for one actor? Other questions if someone can answer! 1. Are there other payment models besides casting agents getting a cut of the actor…
Reddit · 25 Jun 2018
Hey Actors. A little help. I am a newbie in the professional acting realm and had a question about “networking.” In my studies, I found a lot of people suggesting to get a headshot, resume, Backstage/AA, and to network. I feel like I am crossing the T’s but I am super lost about “networking.” I see a lot of younger act…
Reddit · 25 Jun 2018
I’m signed with one of Canada’s top talent agencies. I’m currently based in Vancouver Canada. I have been acting for film and tv for about 4 years now with some basic guest stars.. nothing crazy. I haven’t been marketing my self as a comedic actor, in fact all of my demo material stuff is pretty serious stuff. I study…
Reddit · 25 Jun 2018
I've been on this subreddit a few times, and I'd love to give back to this community. I'd prefer to stay anonymous because I don't want any publicity from this. I'm on a break between productions right now so I just wanted to inspire and help people by sharing the knowledge I've gained from working professionally as an…
Reddit · 25 Jun 2018
Hi all. So yes, I am very young, maybe even too young for some of you to believe me, but acting is what I want to do. Full stop. Drama has been a beacon of light for me for a long time, and I am in love with the process of putting together a show, the character work, the technicalities, it is all just so fascinating to…
Reddit · 24 Jun 2018
films like Viola Davis in Doubt Or Michelle Williams in Blue Valentine, where they actresses are crying tears in scenes. Im talking about union projects and major ones. I dont get it. Does the actor tell the director that they will be crying and will be using a tear stick to help them cry? I doubt they are always cryin…
Reddit · 24 Jun 2018
I have some serious overkill equipment sitting around my house from my brother’s film setup. So I figured why move a few things around my podcasting room and set a self tape studio for some extra cash. Equipment: Canon C100 mkii w/17-55mm lens Sennhieser Shotgun Mic Typical Lighting kit TV Monitor for HDMI output (Just…
Reddit · 24 Jun 2018
When you submit to projects on things like Actors Access or Backstage, what do they typically ask you to prepare for an audition? Is it usually monologues, or do they send you sides before the audition? Is there any point of submitting if you don't have a slate or a demo reel? I have professional headshots (just one ri…
Reddit · 24 Jun 2018
Hi guys, I'm now 25 years old and 5 months, South East Asian, 167cm/5'6", quite athletic, speak English well and some French and Mandarin. I had an idea of becoming an actor when I was 16. But the thing is I didn't realize I was actually aiming to be a sex symbol instead of simply an actor. I mean Danny DeVito is a fam…
Reddit · 24 Jun 2018
I been training acting and still on training. Recently I started auditioning like 1-2month ago. I haven’t casted to anything. Is thus normal for everyone? So far I been to about 10 auditions.
Reddit · 24 Jun 2018
After all the prep work of character work, script analysis and remembering to stay loose in a scene, I wish we had been told more of the importance of the technical side of acting. Eg working with a camera, remembering to get to a mark on a certain word but looking natural, not blocking someone’s light, not turning all…
Reddit · 23 Jun 2018
I really want to network and make new acting friends and I was thinking it would be awesome to meet some of you in person! Also, I know a few people on here take classes at Actors Connection/One on One - I wanted to suggest maybe taking a class together? What do you guys think?
Reddit · 23 Jun 2018
Just curious about your experiences there and how it compares to One on One or Actor's Connection.
Reddit · 23 Jun 2018
When I was younger I did some commercials, but then my mother wanted me to focus on school- so I had to quit. Then, when I was 14, I had a minor role in a independent student film. (the student ended up abononing the project but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) I am turning 18 in a few months now, and I really want to go back to acting, b…
Reddit · 22 Jun 2018
I have a dream of being one of the next great actors of a generation, but where do I start? Get cast in short films and work up from there? Acting class? Backstage? I wanna take the leap, but just need a direction to jump into. Thanks in advance!
Reddit · 22 Jun 2018
I figure since I’ve been getting some solid work lately I must be doing something right, but when I’m in acting class it feels like everything I can do on set is gone and I’m a complete wreck. does anyone have experience with this kind of problem? i usually hear people have it the other way around also, i suck at impro…
Reddit · 22 Jun 2018
So I just got done with a showcase that had some really amazing guest including top agencies. The show went great and I have been told by everyone that I did great (and I know that i feel like I did do my job). It's only been a couple days, but a few people in the show have been contacted by an agency... I was not. I a…
Reddit · 22 Jun 2018
So, I’m a 16 (soon to be 18) year old female. I know what I want to do, and it’s acting. I live in Boise, Idaho and I’m finding it difficult to find a reputable agency or any experiences for my age range. I always thought if I can’t find an opportunity, then I should make one. I have an idea for a semi autobiographical…
Reddit · 22 Jun 2018
I'm planning on filming a feature-length non-union indie movie with a budget enough to pay each principal actor $1,000 for the job. I'm still working on scheduling, but intend to film over 4-5 weekends starting mid to late September. Most of the filming will be done at my property in the Shenandoah Valley (about a half…
Stage 32 · 21 Jun 2018
Many actors love working on accent as a layer of storytelling, but not all. Lately I have been doing a lot of thinking about this second group. If this is you, can you share with me the factors that are keeping you from jumping in with both feet? (Is it not knowing where to start? Not believing you have that ‘talent’ o…
Backstage · 21 Jun 2018
Hi! So I’ve been sent some sides for a tapped audition, but there is a lot of dialogue between more than two people, and action that can’t really be shown from a self tape position. Does anyone have any tips for this? Thanks -Justine :)
Reddit · 21 Jun 2018
Random, but how old is this subreddit. Was it as active back then as it is now? I ask because I remember just back in 2013, how difficult it was to find information on acting. All of a sudden now there is like unlimited resources on fb and websites and here. I wish I had all this years ago. Its like nowadays we are muc…
Reddit · 21 Jun 2018
It seems like the 3 major areas to work/live in as an actor would be LA, London, and NYC. (I know Atlanta and Vancouver do a lot as well) My question is, has anyone had experience living and working in 2 or more of these different areas/markets for a good length of time? If so, which one did you land the most work or f…
Reddit · 21 Jun 2018
Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…
Reddit · 21 Jun 2018
I've been acting for about 3 years now, last year super seriously. Have taken classes at HB Studio, Barrow Group, Comedic Improv. I have an okay reel, decent resume, some headshot's that I need to update. (I got much tanner, maybe this will get me some auditions) Do I need to be SAG before agents start taking me seriou…
Reddit · 21 Jun 2018
I'm currently in the navy and plan to pursue acting after my enlistment. I'm lucky enough that I will have my college free after the navy. So I planned to go to UCLA for film and Stella Adler's Acting Academy for, well, acting. I was wondering if anyone tried to do the same thing as far as film school and acting school…
Reddit · 21 Jun 2018
I spent hundreds of dollars for pictures, from head shots to full length and in between. It seems as if everything I submit for wants a selfie and not my professional pictures. Ok, I get you want to see what I look like NOW, but here's my beef: If you want a selfie, then why the hell did I spend all this money on pictu…
Stage 32 · 20 Jun 2018
Hi everyone,I just strolled over from screenwriting, because I had a spontaneous idea.We're gonna be in L.A. for two weeks at the end of July, and my 16 y.o. son would love the chance to practice his auditioning skills. Is there a database or website somewhere (sorry, I am completely new to this, I only know these thin…
Reddit · 20 Jun 2018
I put together a playlist on what to expect the first time you're booked as a principal actor on a TV show or film. I figure you know how to play the scene, but you might not know what to expect from the work experience. Hopefully this will help. Enjoy! [https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBWOIhrxtozLgqSxfDlmYHbWkc…
Reddit · 20 Jun 2018
I'm a former actor with a few credits under my name (mainly small documentaries, indie films) and I've studied for years at various studios, including experience at the Atlantic Acting School in NYC. I've been thinking of starting up a side-gig teaching 1 on 1 On Camera lessons for Teens over the summer to bring in a b…
Reddit · 20 Jun 2018
I'm asking this because I've noticed that among the more popular, mainstream actors (Jennifer Lawrence, Tom Holland, Gal Gadot), many are usually very energetic and happy-go-lucky. Meanwhile I can only think of a couple actors which could be considered low energy (Bili Lurd, Aubrey Plaza). I'm not sure if these are the…
Reddit · 20 Jun 2018
So this is just a sort of general question, but I had a fellow actor reach out to me asking me if I had gotten paid for a project we recently worked on (which I hadn't) but it brought a question to my mind? Why does it always seem to take so long to get paid for film gigs? When I do theater, I usually get paid right up…
Stage 32 · 19 Jun 2018
CHECK IT OUT BUDDIES, INSTAGRAM TVhttps://techcrunch.com/2018/06/19/instagram-igtv/Pretty Cool, eh? @Jeannie420
Stage 32 · 19 Jun 2018
Buddies, have you heard of the #SOVAS the society for voice arts and sciences a Open World Audition is AVAILABLE on the site MUHAMMAD ALI... AUDITIONhttp://sovas.org/ BEST OF LUCK EVERY BUDDY!
Reddit · 19 Jun 2018
I’m a NYC actor who wants to be represented on the west coast as well. How did you guys make that happen?
Reddit · 19 Jun 2018
Hello all, my name is Shane and I am the founder of an in-development startup that is working on building a large scale, multi-occupation/industry, multi-feature professional network that is purpose built for the arts and entertainment industries as a whole. Simply put, we are building the "Linked In for Artist and Ent…
Reddit · 19 Jun 2018
Hello actors! I have been doing a lot of thinking lately and would love your opinion. Basically something happened in my life that pulled me away from the acting world. It was hard for me to keep up but I tried the best I could. I kept my agent who would send me to a few auditions here and there but that's about it. No…
Reddit · 19 Jun 2018
Hey everyone! So I'm doing a little actors workshop for my Brother's special ed class. My plan is to do one or two theatre games, talk a little bit about acting, and then I'm going to be teaching a few very simple moves (so far I have jazz square and one that I don't know what its called) and putting it to Broadway's "…
Reddit · 19 Jun 2018
There wasn’t a “no stupid questions” post for today so I guess I have to make an idiot of myself this way, hooray! So I’m a male Actor/presenter, and I had headshots taken recently (and they paint me in quite a flattering light if I do say so myself) but I’ve just got back from a contract that I had to grow a beard for…
Reddit · 19 Jun 2018
I'm looking into workshops with casting directors, and I asked my agents who they'd like to see me get in front of, and they just said "email us and tell us who's giving classes, and we'll tell you if it's worth it" Well, two problems with that. 1. There are multiple workshops with different CDs at different studios ev…
Reddit · 19 Jun 2018
If they like me, will they offer me a contract on the spot? What’s a standard contract? What questions should I ask? Thanks everybody!
Reddit · 18 Jun 2018
I'm 14 and I want to act. Of course I don't actually look like a 14 year old guy. I look 18. I don't know what I can do as of right now. Summer is starting so I can't join my schools club but I still want to progress as an actor. I have no clue what I'm doing but I know all I want to do is to give a stunning performanc…
Reddit · 18 Jun 2018
Hi, I'm looking for some advice from anyone who has studied/is familiar with the technique of Practical Aesthetics. I'm about to start a new class which focuses on PA. Initially, I was really excited about it. However, the more I read into it, the more I am concerned. The class passionately dismisses the concept of cha…
Backstage · 17 Jun 2018
I recently was asked to send in a self tape. I know a little bit about blogging but I normally don't vblog. I know being able to submit self tapes when asked is become a frequently asked question in my life. I wanted to know if anyone has any tips...