Acting forums, all in one place

19,654 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Aug 2019

Need tips on perfecting scare actor characters!

So I landed my first job as a scare actor. I will be one of the actors interacting with guests between houses. They have three roles that I need to be able to showcase. It’s a pirate, a voodoo, and a hillbilly/redneck. We worked a little on it today and I was honestly disappointed in myself with how poorly I managed to…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Aug 2019

How is the scene in Atlanta?

I’ve tried nyc and La and I can’t seem to make progress in either city, even people on my level think they are too good to work with me. I’m tired of being rejected by everybody. I’ve had a few people tell me to check out Atlanta. How is it down there? I’ve heard it’s mostly self tapes. Is it still possible to break th…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Aug 2019

Help Ella Faye to The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama!

I am an Actor from Teesside (near Newcastle in the UK) trying to raise the funds to pay my Drama School fees. I have been accepted into The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama - one of the best acting schools in the world, however I am unable to pay for all of the fees. If you can help in any way at all I'd be ete…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Aug 2019

Did me being a non union actor mess up my chances for this movie ?

So, I have an agent but I am not a union actor. Back in April of 2018 I auditioned for “Good Boys” and I got to a table read with some of the cast, but unfortunately the character I was auditioning for was written off the script, leaving only 3 boys. My question is did me being a non union actor mess up my chances of b…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Aug 2019

How do I get into professionally acting?

I want to become an actor, I’ve had this idea that I wanted to in my head for years. I’ve been told I’m a great actor and I’ve been in multiple theatrical shows for my junior high and high school. How would I get into this marvelous world of acting? how do I find auditions?

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Aug 2019

A 15 Year Old Actor Looking For Advice

I'll try to keep this short, apologies for format issues I'm on mobile. I am 15 years old and I have decided that my dream in life is to be an actor so that I can bring joy to other people. Seems simple enough right? I've been working at it for about 9 months. My current situation is that I've auditioned for some plays…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Aug 2019

I made a free website to help actors

Hey everyone! I hope this doesn't violate any community rules, but I figured it was worth trying. I love Reddit, and I am always inspired to see how helpful and kind most actors are to each other on this sub. So that got me thinking: Why isn't there a place online where other actors like us can rate, review and find ac…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Aug 2019

My plan to pursue acting as a foreigner. Is it good enough?

i am 16 years old, turning 17. i’m in 11th grade, and live in Southern Africa. The acting industry over here is pretty depressing. They are local Television productions but few films. Actors get paid close to nothing, the biggest actors earn salaries similar to office jobs. Acting here is unsustainable. For me, simply…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Aug 2019

Do I NEED social media?

For context, I’m a working actor doing decently. I notice a lot of articles and posts about the importance of a strong Instagram or social media following. I personally am no longer on social media. Is it necessary to have this? Are CD’s really looking at social media presence?

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Aug 2019

Career in Acting

Hey guys, my dream is to become an actor and be able to hopefully make it in the industry. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions about things I could do to help hone my craft. I've been doing theatre and drama clubs at school so far and wanted to know if you guys had other ideas. I'm currently a junior in hig…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Aug 2019

How do you deal with last-minuite script changes?

I'm still in my early climb as an actor and haven't yet had to deal with this, so does anyone have any advice in regards to this just in case (lady luck bless me) I book a TV show or film in the future? Thanks and all the best.

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Aug 2019

Pay-what-you-can or free ongoing scene study groups for actors in New York City?

 I know places like this in L.A  but are there any in NYC?   I have a collection of very short two-person scenes I wrote myself that I plan to eventually hire a DP  to shoot for me so I can create a new reel.  Just looking for people to rehearse the scenes with me and maybe find an actor who would like to star in the f…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Aug 2019

Submitting for roles you don’t quite fit for?

As I submit to roles in Actor’s Access, I’ve come across a few roles which I thought would be perfect for me... except that they’re asking for a different race. Or gender. Or et cetera. I read casting calls very thoroughly and of course don’t apply when these factors are an obvious dealbreaker. For example, crime shows…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Aug 2019

Auditioning for an mini acting course in the UK - I know this question is all over the internet in various formats, but let’s talk female monologues... (please)

I’ve applied for a mini acting course and need a monologue that is no more than 2-3 minutes long. The school does provide suggestions, should you not find anything - but there is a part of me that wonders whether I’d look lazy by just picking from the choices (not sure what the general consensus is on that, but do shar…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Aug 2019

BG work

Is doing background work valuable to furthering your career as an actor or is there better ways to spend your time?

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2019

Best talent agencies in Atlanta?

Hi, I am an aspiring actor who is looking for an agency that will actually help me. I recently wasted my time by going to a meeting with a "talent agent" who turned out to be a scammer. I want to know if there are any legitimate and helpful talent agencies in Atlanta.

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2019

Where is the best place to post demo reel for starting voice actor?

High, I'm an aspiring voice actor and I was wondering what sites you guys recommend for posting my stuff and trying to start getting work. Sites where I don't have to pay to post my stuff would be preferable. And is there a specific website that's good for trying to find an agent for voice over work? Thank you.

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2019

Audition for my school's Radium Girls/Kind Of Vent

The auditions for my schools production of radium girls is the ninth of September and I would like advice. I am a male, will be a sophomore when the year starts, am rather tall and have long hair. If I am not making an effort, I do not naturally say the R sound. If I make a conscious effort, I have difficulty saying th…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2019

any actors in LA want to get together and shoot scenes to improve our reels?

my first reel i shot on my iphone, and wrote all the scenes for myself, and they turned out way better than any student film i've done. i have a couple better quality scenes now but I'm really tired of getting burned by working on projects than turn out to be shit, or dont even get completed. it's really frustrating to…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2019

Grasping a casting director's interest.

Actor in Los Angeles looking for opinions on the 1 minute acting reel. There seems to be two camps of actors that I've noticed, those who say to show 2-3 minutes of your best scenes and those who say no one wants to watch more than a minute of anyone's reel. Just wondering if anyone would like to expand on these ideas.…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2019

Putting a scene from class on Actors Access

Is this not recommended since it's not actually "produced"? I'm the only one on camera. I was just in a class with a great CD and did my go-to workshop scene in class in front of everyone. He loved it and the class laughed a lot too, and I was really proud of how I did. But it basically sounds like a laugh track in the…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Aug 15

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2019

Inside The Actors Studio - where to watch?

I like watching inside the actors studio because the guests on it talk about their process and their technique, which is different for all of them. There are 22 seasons of this show, but these episodes can not be found anywhere... The links on their site to amazon/itunes/... where episodes are supposedly for sale don't…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Aug 2019

Voices.com and voices123?

Hey! I'm a voice actor and have been using [voices.com](https://voices.com) to audition and get my name out into the world. In the few months I've had the premium membership I've gotten several roles and my acting coach says i'm on a hot streak. However, I want to do more. At most I can do 10-12 auditions on voices a d…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 14 Aug 2019

It's a no brainer: Put your REEL or Short Film on Smart TV

Here's a free way to get exposure.  If you're a "cord cutter" or Independent film lover, then you may have already watched Indie-made films and TV-shows on Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and other platforms. A (free) way to get exposure for your film Reel and Short films that you have appeared in is to use the TV channels that…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Aug 2019

They just announced that a film in which I had a small part is being turned into a TV series. I haven't heard from anyone. Is it safe to assume I will not be part of it?

So last summer I was in a film. I had a fairly small part, but I was a named character (like referred to by name in the movie by another character) and I was in 7 or 8 scenes and had some lines in most of them. Mostly totally inconsequential lines (think, like, "he's almost here!" or "someone's on the phone for you.")…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Aug 2019

No acting experience ever. Auditioning for a TV role on Thursday. I need pointers!

This is a throwaway account. Okay quick story time (I have to be vague for confidentiality reasons of my company). I’ve had a pipe dream of playing some part or something in a movie or TV show but never really sought it out. (I used to make short movies with my friends back in high school and did a school play once. Th…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Aug 2019

Is it normal to rehearse a script mentally and feel all the emotion from it?

I'm doubling as a writer and voice actor for a project I'm working on. I noticed that I didn't finish half of my lunch because I'm too busy feeling panicked. I feel full and even very slightly nauseous despite not eating a lot. I'm trembling. Why? One of my characters is trying to save another (or I'm unintentionally s…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Aug 2019

How important is a natural accent?

As an Eastern European, this has been bugging me for a while. I feel confident when I'm speaking English, and most of the time I have no problem understanding what people are saying (apart from some weird british accents). But I know that my accent is far from what is considered 'natural' What is your opinion on that?…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Aug 2019

URGENT- LONDON BASED VOICE ACTRESS NEEDED

Hi everybody - we’re looking for someone to join us for a recording session THIS SUNDAY in London If you’re interested please please post any links to recent work/demos and drop me a line Many thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Aug 2019

New Zealand Market?

Hey, I’m an American actress just getting into the game. My gf is from NZ and wants to move back there with me. Does anyone know anything about the NZ film/tv/commercial industries? Would it even be possible for me to get jobs given my American accent? I can do British but haven’t quite mastered the Kiwi accent yet.

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Aug 2019

How to Hire SAG-AFTRA Actor for $125?

I made an animated short, for which I need three minutes of voice over. Somebody online offered to do it for me for $125, and asked if we could do it through SAGAFTRA. I contacted a sagaftra coordinator who told me it would be much more than $125. Is this true? Is there anyway to stick to this price?

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Aug 2019

Searching for monologue help?

Is there a community on reddit for helping actors find monologues? Searched this forum for a bit but I'm unsure how appropriate that would be.

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Aug 2019

Agents in Vancouver and Toronto?

I’m a Winnipeg based actor and our city has been getting busy but I still want more. I’m curious if anyone knows of agents willing to represent actors out of town. I would like to do more self tapes and I believe an agent in a bigger city can find those opportunities for me. Thanks guys!

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Aug 2019

No bad actors...just wrong parts?

I recently watched a film until the end because the actor playing the protagonist was really good in a TV show (the casting department did a good job matching her)...and though the film isn't the right fit for me as a viewer...it made me wonder about the match of actors and parts. There are times that parts are rewritt…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Aug 2019

Feeling Lost.

When I was younger all I ever wanted to do was act, in elementary school and in middle school I got involved in any play I could, my parents would even buy me tickets to see plays at the local theater. I remember the joy and happiness it brought me and I remember how cool it was connecting with other people who loved t…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Aug 2019

Short demo

The last clip has some voices of other actors who are in the scene, and I am hoping that's not too confusing. I am concerned that audio quality might not be the best. [https://soundcloud.com/thefeedmag/jay-israel-voice-samples/s-E9YvR](https://soundcloud.com/thefeedmag/jay-israel-voice-samples/s-E9YvR)

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Aug 2019

Dacre Montgomery?!?

Dacre Montgomery (Billy from Stranger Things) is from Australia (even though according to his IMDB he has a double citizenship - Australian and Canadian) and is a very talented actor nonetheless, but there's something about him that confuses me a lot. Here are a few of his IG post' captions: >**1.** After ten years of…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Aug 2019

Luck is always a factor

I see a lot of posts asking how to get agents, how did this certain actor or actress land this role, what do I need to do to make it, etc. The simple answer is: luck. Every single actor who has made it big has had some luck. They were in the right place at the right time. However, this does not discredit the fact that…