Acting forums, all in one place

19,668 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2022

Looking for Acting Agencies I'm Texas

I'm looking for trusted Agencies in the State of Texas. Do yall know any. A little background I'm a new actor in the state of Texas and mainly do stage acting, but I am wanting to branch out to screen, or even commercial.

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2022

Backstory?

Is it the work of an actor or the work of a writer to write a backstory for your character?

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2022

Casting Directors are a sham.

Does anyone else think CDs, for the most part, are irrelevant in the 21st century? Unless they are out actually scouting, the online submission process has made them a redundancy that breeds nepotism. I know this because the ones that like me cast me, and I can’t get a lick from the ones I don’t know. Now CDs casting f…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jul 2022

should i focus more on film or theater?

Ive been acting, when i could, since 2000. Ive been lucky to get an agent for a while and book some local commercials and print work too. however i met some bad people and had some personal stuff to work on...so beyond rando classes , getting settled finally with an acting school experience in 2016,, ive never really h…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2022

Moving to LA to pursue acting.

I've been dwelling on it for a while and I figured it's now or never. I'm 21, no college degree, only one thing comes into my mind when I think about what I want to do with my life and that is acting. Currently I live in a state where there's very little acting, took an acting course but other than that I've never been…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2022

MAJOR LIFE DECISION

okay, so I'll keep this short. So I'm 21M from India, I'm currently in my final year of college studying computer engineering. Interestingly, I've also pursued acting as a side hustle from my first year and I've done 6 commercials, been shortlisted for 10+ jobs, given 51 auditions and gotten positive feedback from cast…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2022

Just booked my first theatrical project ever!

I posted here yesterday asking for some help with a self-tape, and u/actor-ish was kind enough to give me some amazing pointers! Thanks to that, I just booked one of the supporting roles for a student film! It’ll be my first theatrical work (did some minor commercials before) EVER and I’m super excited to be on set! I’…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2022

What side jobs do you all recommend if you want to be an actor professionally?

I’m 15 and this year I’ve started to plan what I want to do with the rest of my life. I love acting, done musicals and plays, and I pretty much know that I want to be an actor when I’m older. However I also know that is pretty hard to make money as an actor and usually you’ll need a job to pay the bills and get by. Wha…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2022

Any acting classes offer this?

I used to take an acting class that had something called co-star nights. All the male students would receive the same sides, equivalent to a co-star audition. The same goes for the female students. Then all the males would perform their sides, as if it were a real audition. All the female students would be the "produce…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2022

How can I get more confident in my abilities as an actor?

I struggle with really bad confine especially when it comes to acting. I always feel unconfident although others tell me good stuff about it, I feel like I suck. Does anyone have any advice or similar expirience? Thank for answers :)

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2022

Submitting without a reader

I need to film a self-tape for an upcoming Netflix film, but unfortunately, I don't have much time or anyone to read with me. They said it’s fine if we don’t have someone to read with us; we can just say our lines and send it in like that... (They probably made that an option since there are lines in another language,…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2022

Am I doing myself a Disservice?

So I, obviously, am working towards being a voice actor but while I greatly enjoy mediums that have voice acting within them I don’t actually follow any voice actors. I don’t look up who voiced my favorite character nor do I compare their previous works. So I’m basically wondering if I should begin to do that or if mos…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2022

Looking For A Cast Of Beta Readers For A WIP Play

Hello! I'm here looking for a cast of beta readers to read the first act of my two act play, *"I Sing A Song Of White."* I am searching here because I would like to host a Zoom call of all the actors to read the play aloud together as a form of beta reading! I would like to hear it aloud to hear any grammatical errors,…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jul 2022

Do Voice Actors’ pay depend on who they work for

I always hear voice actors say it doesn’t pay well, but doesn’t it depend on several factors (unionized or not, studio, series popularity and how long it’s been running, whether it’s prelay for an American cartoon or dubbing for an anime, etc). Do most voice actors complain about pay because they are usually assigned t…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2022

Where is a good place online to meet other actors?

I live in a small city atm with no actor types, but moving to London soon and would be great to know some people beforehand. Had no luck meeting anyone on Tinder, is there anywhere else?

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2022

Casting Question

Hey quick question: ​ I am an actor new to having an agent and I recently received two costar auditions from the same casting director for a connected episodic franchise based in a city. Everyone I've spoken to says that is a good sign. My question is as follows: Why is that a good sign? What are the implication…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2022

Submit to Agents now or wait

Hello fellow actors. I am a new actor in Toronto and need some advice. I want to start submitting to agents but not sure if I should do it now or wait. Here is what is going on, I finally have some clips from my acting classes (no demo reel yet) that I can send to agents in my submissions. I have also booked 2 short fi…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2022

Dee Bradley Bakers's guide: On the topic of "Talent"

So this is something I'm a little caught up with, he's obviously very good at what he does, but my mind hangs on this particular sentence on his "Starting from Zero" page: > Acting certainly requires a good grasp of certain learnable skills, but at its heart, acting is also an art form. Success is conditional on posses…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2022

Is it true that commercials can deflate your career?

I've heard some people say that depending on what you start your career with, you can grow or simply plateau in one field. This industry has so many ridiculous things being produced. I knew a girl who did some commercials for Wendy's and she's not really advancing in her career except by doing videogame voiceovers and…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2022

Question for queer/LGBT+ actors

I’ve been thinking about taking some acting class at a local studio in my city. Acting has been something I’ve always wanted to pursue and I’m kind of at this turning point where I’m welcoming new opportunities into my life. Thing is, I’m a lesbian and I have very androgynous/masculine mannerisms that I worry might lim…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2022

Appearing in your own business’ commercial?

I’m an actor who is launching an online business soon, un-related to acting. Would it be okay to appear as a prominent character in the online ads I’m planning on running? Or would this be seen as tacky/taboo?

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2022

greatest acting gig of al time

my entire life is a form of method acting. me as a human. i was cast into this role without my choosing and now i'm going to act here as a human who is an actor. go figure.

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2022

Is it jut me or does most acting seem terrible after you get into acting?

Idk what it is. I’m no big shot actor and I’ve only done two projects out side of high school theatre so far. But I feel like now that I know a lot more about acting and what goes on bts I feel like I’m on the same level as these actors lmao. I know I’m not bc I’m just a teenager who enjoys acting but idk. But the majo…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2022

Those who can't, teach (?)

So recently, as I've transitioned to a smaller market, the idea of testing the waters of teaching has re-entered my mind. I'm a working actor (most years) primarily in VO. I act on screen occasionally, though typically in very low-budget or student films. I've had a few very big opportunities, but only a few. I've neve…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2022

Self-tape setup swaps in Philly, Nashville, Baltimore, LA, NYC

Hi fellow actors. I’m an actor based in NYC but I find myself often in cities like Philly, Baltimore, Nashville and LA. Do you have good self-tape and/or VO setups at home, where you’d be willing to let me self-tape in a pinch, and of course I’d do the same if you were ever in NYC and needed a place to self-tape. And w…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jul 2022

any fellow aspiring actors from australia?

i just realised today that i've been lurking this reddit without joining so hello :). i was wondering if there's anyone from aus here and how their experience has been in terms of auditioning and finding agents. i've taken classes in high school and was lucky enough to be spotted by a local casting agent at a showcase…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2022

tips on getting agents

Okay, i know this is probably a really commonly asked question on here but i’m going to ask it, so here it goes. Agents- how do i get one? I’m going to sign up to backstage and similar sites when I eventually sit down to do so, but are there other ways of getting them? Is cold calling (if thats the right term) a good i…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2022

I want a job voice acting for cartoons, anime, etc. Where do I go to look for them?

I’ve looked up hundreds of things to try and find professional jobs for voice actors but I can’t find anything. Same with musical theatre but I can’t really apply to that yet. I have a semi professional microphone setup at home (AT2020 XLR mic and Scarlett pro which should be fine for auditions: If cast id invest in so…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2022

To Atlanta Actors, a Question

Is Tucker a good location to move to in order to pursue acting? It's affordable, and I'd have roommates to split rent, but it's about 25 minutes from Central Atlanta. Is that too far?

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jul 2022

to self produce or not to self produce

Early 30s Novice actor here... One year of conservatory under my belt along with one short film and a few local commercials. Constantly studying: voice, technique, accents, theater history etc. Ready to get out there more for auditions; and I'm also interested in print modeling. One of the most common adage's these day…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2022

Some much needed advice?

So I've come to terms that I want to pursue a career in acting, but I'm going to college majoring in a major that I truly want to major in, which is animation. Working in animation would allow me to work in the film industry, which has been my dream for a long time but I do not want to choose to either be a actor or an…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2022

Audiobooks

So I’m an actress, but narrating my audiobooks is how I pay my bills right now. But lately, most of the audiobooks I’m booking are either erotica or have sexual content. I use a pseudonym soy name isn’t associated with the titles, but is it still possible that it could hurt my career?

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2022

Would it be taboo for an actor to appear in their own businesses’ online ad?

I’m an actor who is launching a product-based business. I have a few ideas for online ads and think it would be really fun to play one of the characters myself, however, I’m not sure if this would be seen as taboo… or be a conflict in some way. What is the general consensus amongst the community? Is there one?

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2022

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Feedback

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2022

wanted to do acting to be famous, but now it’s changed.

I’m bored and just wanted to type the story of how I fell in love with acting. So initially I’ve always wanted to be famous. Ever since I was young and in my early teens (I’m 18 now), I’ve always dreamt of being on the red carpet and just have fame. Yeah it sounds dumb but I did. In high school tho the desire of being…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2022

Creators team needs a voice over partner

Hello everyone! I´m a part of a small team of creators called [Okolo Kino](https://www.youtube.com/c/OkoloKino) from Ukraine, Spain and Russia. We make documentaries about cinema, especially biographical films about filmmakers. Now we are working with a British man who is very professional, but his accent is surely not…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2022

Any Other Military Veterans?

Hey Everyone! I've been enjoying learning about how to start acting in this sub; I was in the Air Force and was wondering if anyone else here had been successful in pursuing acting after a stint in the military? If so, what was the experience like for you? Were you able to use any of the skills you picked up in the mil…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2022

Actor Connection FYI

I hope this helps people. AC is clearly making a lot of money from these online workshops because of the pandemic. Actors have no other way to really meet CD's than to pay for services like this, especially now. **Acting on Zoom sucks.** The screen changing back and forth between the speakers is distracting and there s…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2022

How did you get a start in voice acting?

Hi. I'm someone who does have an interest in voice acting and wants to get into it, but I have no idea how to improve skill/get experience etc. I want to ask how you all managed to get started and ground yourself in voice acting, and even some tips in how to develop as a voice actor.

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2022

Achting in China

Hi everyone, Belgian based actress, new here

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2022

Acting is only for likable extroverted people with interesting social lives

Acting is fundamentally recreating human interactions and dynamics under imaginary circumstances. So it makes sense then that you’d need a constant source of social interaction to even be able to compete with other actors. Most actors I see are WIDELY liked by everyone around them. They travel the world, they have HUGE…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2022

The actor in cinema

After shooting my first short film titled “[Yoke](https://youtu.be/lK58w-9KGj8)” in 2021 I had the opportunity to experience first hand with a professional actor, something I had never done before. I also had the opportunity to get to know my way of directing actors and non-actors to achieve a cinematic image and I hav…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2022

Recent experience with American Conservatory Theatre?

Anyone here have recent experience with San Francisco’s ACT American Conservatory Theatre? I’ve read things about some once prestigious institutions now having devolved into cash grabs resting on their laurels of previous success stories and that many haven’t produced anyone noteworthy for decades. I was wondering if A…