Reddit · 12 Sep 2022
Character Actors in Theatre?
Is ‘character actor’ a relevant term in Theatre or is that mostly just for Film and TV?
19,663 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.
Reddit · 12 Sep 2022
Is ‘character actor’ a relevant term in Theatre or is that mostly just for Film and TV?
Reddit · 12 Sep 2022
I have an interview coming up with them next week and wanted to see if I could get the scoop from some fellow actors. I know they’re not considered one of the bigger agencies in the city but that’s fine since I prefer boutique agencies versus bigger ones. Does anyone have any experience with them or know someone that d…
Reddit · 12 Sep 2022
(CW: depression) So long story short, some recent heavy events in my life have led to me being prescribed an antidepressant. This will be my first time taking any form of mental health medication. While I'm optimistic at the prospect of feeling like myself again, I'm a little nervous about potential changes in my emoti…
Reddit · 12 Sep 2022
Has anyone else been asked to submit for many different roles to this film?? I have FOR TWELVE and I find it totally unprofessional and stopped after SEVEN. Does anyone have any info about this production? Paul Sinacore is the CD. I know of several other people who have been asked to read for at least seven roles. And…
Reddit · 11 Sep 2022
Hi everyone! Do you have an idea for a film, but have trouble finding other filmmakers in your area to realize your vision? Our platform, [Filmbuddy.org](http://filmbuddy.org/), allows you to discover & connect with other filmmakers in your city! Simply select the types of filmmakers you’re seeking for your project (eg…
Reddit · 11 Sep 2022
Hi! This might sound silly, but it’s genuinely something I’ve wondered. Say that an actor was going in to audition as the child of an actor who had different colored eyes than them, or for some reason an audition where a different eye color would be beneficial. One can’t change hair color quickly, but putting in contac…
Reddit · 11 Sep 2022
Hello everyone! I (M25) don't know if this type of post is allowed here, so if it's not feel free to delete it. Tomorrow I take my first acting class, and to be honest I'm feeling a mixture of excitement and nerves. I'm m=25 now but when I was younger I used to love to watch people perform on stage. I have so many crin…
Reddit · 11 Sep 2022
hey im an actor in nyc. I currently do background for income but i don’t enjoy it as much as acting classes. Any job recommendations in nyc?
Reddit · 11 Sep 2022
Does anyone have any quick tips to edit over the dialogue only on video clips? My goal is to create a demo reel impersonating some of the greats and see how horribly off I am, accepting the wake up call that I can never be a voice actor and just focus my ass back to my day job. Thank you
Reddit · 11 Sep 2022
Applying on Actors Access and booking here and there does not, for the most part, lead to anything. A website just sits there. Plays and shoots all feel like isolated incidents. Social media does not feel productive. How are people (or you) turning what they (you) do into something? What can you do? What do you do? Not…
Reddit · 11 Sep 2022
I always hear professional/famous actors say this. Usually, they're the ones who are considered an "actor's actor", the ones who take their craft very seriously. Even Larry Moss has said this a few times. In their interviews, they always say that actors should be going to museums and art galleries. What does this do fo…
Reddit · 11 Sep 2022
The fact that Harry Styles can just make his debut in a Christopher Nolan film, do a Marvel movie, and now have 2 back to back films to top it off with acting award talks?? I call BS. I understand the game and how unfair it is/the fact that Harry is a popstar and therefore has an audience to profit from but this makes…
Reddit · 10 Sep 2022
Hey guys, I’m a screenwriter and I’m curious to hear if there’s anything that actors would like to tell screenwriters? It could be about anything. It could be something good or bad or maybe suggestions. I’m just curious to hear your thoughts. Because obviously these two aspects of filmmaking rely heavily on one another…
Reddit · 10 Sep 2022
Hello! Just looking to get a general idea of what actors believe about Method Acting. I'd appreciate any participation and if you have any further responses, please comment :) [View Poll](https://www.reddit.com/poll/xaqr66)
Reddit · 10 Sep 2022
I know it sounds pretty childish, but I’ve always wanted to be an actress. Not just to be in movies and have money, but cinema’s world in general is just so enchanting! I’m still very young and I’m still in highschool, but I really want to start somewhere and I plan to work hard to achieve my goal.
Reddit · 10 Sep 2022
Hey everyone, I wanted to highlight some PROS of doing Background work and have people more interested in doing it, especially if you are a beginner and are just learning about the industry. Being a background performer for close to 7 years now I found it has benefited me in numerous ways. I myself am a working Actor b…
Reddit · 10 Sep 2022
Reading up on successful actors bios, even if they got a late start, pretty much all of them started taking acting classes when young or in college, or at least expressed interest in acting when young. I’m 27, have absolutely no acting credits and have never taken any kind of acting class or participated in any school…
Reddit · 10 Sep 2022
**NOTE: This piece employs a once widely familiar device known as parody and contains flashes of what some might call sarcasm.** In June of 2020, the actress Jenny Slate had apologized for her “flawed” decision to voice a non-white character on the Netflix show “Big Mouth.” Slate announced that she is stepping aside fr…
Reddit · 10 Sep 2022
* Project name THRIFTED * Project description * \- Recording of a voice-over for a video montage broadcast during the internal convention of COURIR stores (sporting goods) * Usage of the recording - Internal Event * **Voice actor requirements** * Language English - British * Voice gender and age, any of: Female young a…
Reddit · 10 Sep 2022
Hello everyone! I have a strong interest in Voice Acting. I always sort of have, just never been confident enough to pursue. However, lately, something has changed and I feel more confident about the idea. I know its not exactly as easy as it may look or sound. The interest really started when I worked at a call center…
Reddit · 10 Sep 2022
Hello, I am looking for an agent for Television & Film, Theatre, and Commercial work. Does anyone have any advice for what agencies I should submit myself to that works with actors that are entering the industry? I'm trying to submit myself through the talent link on Actors Access as well, but I accidentally deleted th…
Reddit · 10 Sep 2022
Hi all! I’ve been cast in a theater show where my character does cocaine. Not like insane, over the top cokehead. Like “business man cokehead”. Haha. Notably, he does it standing up…not the snort off the coffee table thing. I have zero drug experience/knowledge. Is there like a YouTube series that shows actors how to p…
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
I'm a 27 actor based in the NW of England. I have some decent experience and I'm spotlight registered of course. I've tried different agencies but I don't seem to get much work (or auditions) from them so I was thinking of scouting for new agents. Any recommendations? A plus if they have a Manchester base. Thank you!
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
I am not at all what most people consider to be an 'artsy' person. My strengths have always been, math, physics, computer-science, chess etc) I have done a bit of creative story writing which I'm told is good. But besides that I don't have any experience or skillsets on the arts side. Part of what I am excited about in…
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
I know this question has been asked a billion times already, but I still need some clarification. I want to be film/tv actor and I want to get a formal, good quality training from a conservatory program for a year or two either in New York or Los Angeles. What schools would you recommend for someone ready to put in the…
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
Hi everyone- I just wanted to vent...but to also say its fine if you dont get cast...most of the time, the cast they do use is so basic it doesn't even matter..
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
I’m 23, from argentina, i have been doing self tapes for the last 2 years and a half, (mostly for commercials, but for some tv and movie roles too). Here, you don’t get an agent until you have experience, so most of the self tapes i did were for open casting calls or for auditions that the casting agencies sent me when…
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
Hello! So, I’m a young actor and I have been debating on 2 versions of my name. I have 2 last names, and one of them is very unique, but also hard to pronounce. Which one would be better for a stage name? Donovan Boursiquot (Boo-c-co) Wade Vs Donovan B. Wade
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
I’m a terrible actor. I have no formal experience learning how to act and I feel very behind compared to my peers. I am currently a freshman studying BFA musical theatre in college and I’m afraid I’m not making any progress whatsoever. According to my 4 year plan, I’ll only be taking 3 semesters of acting classes withi…
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
I have recently started getting paid for my acting, and I dont know how to set up a business or anything. Please help lol
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
I was just wondering: if an American production would shoot partly in Europe, do the actors then need a visa for that specific European country (and the production company just takes care of that) or not because it’s still an American production company that they currently work for?
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
I’m curious to experiences you’ve had for roles offered that turn you away. What are typical female characters that feel typecast to you? What have been roles that challenge and attract you to the character, especially showing the writers and director care more than just being a typecast.
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
Ok so I don’t know if it’s me but almost every class I’ve taken has resulted in some form of trauma. It probably sounds like I’m being dramatic but hear me out…in the 6 years I’ve been studying acting I’ve been victim blamed, verbally abused, shamed in front of an entire class, pushed to share details about my personal…
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
So let me start this out by saying I used to work on the Walking Dead wiki way back in the day, I was a huge super fan of the show. Years later I got the opportunity to work as an extra. Flash forward to a few days later a friend of mine sent me picture of a Walking Dead actor at a convention and I immediately recogniz…
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
Hello all, I am a writer/director from the DMV Maryland area and Im shooting a short film this fall. The story revolves around a young girl and a young boy but its not exactly a happy love story. The film will have a runtime of 30 minutes Shooting will take place in the DMV area this month! \[It will be shot with a Son…
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
Hello everyone. It’s official. My previous posts detailed my situation of applying and having several callbacks for the main role of this feature film and it turns out after three weeks I did *not* get the role. I’ve realized after spending nearly five years trying to act professionally I have little success or achieve…
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
Hello actors, I'm an upcoming film director and I am currently auditioning actors for my next short film. It's a self funded production and I am unable to pay any salary on this project, including the technicians. Meals are paid, and gas is refunded. It's a 2 day shoot, from 9h to 17h, with 1h for lunch. Every take can…
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
Hey guys I’m 20 and trying to find my way into the industry. I have a place on a course (in London) which to me seems pretty expensive for what it is. But the school claims to have very good industry connections: which seems legit as a lot of good actors have gone there such as John Boyega, Melanie Liburd, and Olivia P…
Reddit · 9 Sep 2022
I have a new interest in voice acting, but I don't know how to start. There are so many factors to consider. Vocals, reading ability, acting ability, equipment, voicing material, etc. Before getting into the technical side of things, I would need to work on vocal training. What are the areas voice actors focus on while…
Reddit · 8 Sep 2022
We are 18 year olds, a girl and two boy. A drama would be nice, but we would love to hear about anything. The duration have to be around a 45min-1 hour, but we can make it shorter/longer so don't worry. Thank you in advanve guys, gals :)
Reddit · 8 Sep 2022
I run a virtual assistant agency that regularly develops content for clients. I am developing content packages that include articles, social media, and videos and I am interested in adding a voiceover actor to my agency. Our process is this: * We create the article * Our automated tool helps us generate a presentation…
Reddit · 8 Sep 2022
Do you find yourself having to work twice as hard? Do you get rejected because you don’t have the look they want? I really like the idea of being an actress, not necessarily to “make it” but to have a steady income from it would be a dream. I am a minority woman and hearing how competitive it is already makes me doubt…
Reddit · 8 Sep 2022
Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…
Reddit · 8 Sep 2022
I'm in my late twenties and have been in this industry for pretty much a decade in some way or another, but I feel like I've been doing it wrong this entire time and have made 0 progress. I'm based in NY, have my BFA from a prestigious college, have taken a million classes/workshops, have professional headshots/materia…
Reddit · 8 Sep 2022
Basically, I'm an 18yr old girl, and I want to pursue acting. The problem is, I don't live in the US, or in a country where there's at least any theater where I could start out at. I used to be on lots of school productions, but since I just graduated, I can no longer do that. I've also tried attending acting classes,…
Reddit · 8 Sep 2022
Hello,I own a business that works through discord,and Im looking for someone to be voicechatting with people on discord(no cam,just talking),we would go 50-50 on the money I would be the one to get the customers,and u would be the one to talk to them.Hopefully u are from Europe aswell so timezones wont be a problem. Co…
Reddit · 8 Sep 2022
TASK: Find monologues and extracts from TV, Film, and Play scripts to be uploaded and categorized on my Wordpress based website. Full details: I'm developing a website for actors to be able to search and download monologues and scenes from plays, film, and TV. I'm looking for someone to assist with curating and uploadi…
Reddit · 8 Sep 2022
What's the best way to find non-union actors? Facebook group? Backstage? Personally I would prefer to build up a database of talent than selecting from a random group of people who applied to casting call promising a position immediately. What do you think?
Reddit · 8 Sep 2022
Hi all. Ever since I was a kid \[I am a 21F\], I've wanted to act on screen but never did do theatre or anything like that through school. I actually forgot about it for awhile until summer of 2018. Even then, I was unable to take theatre my senior year. I come from a large city in Texas, there are absolutely no acting…
Reddit · 8 Sep 2022
What do you think is the maximum you should pay voice actors for Smaller roles in a short film? What is your budget range?