Acting forums, all in one place

19,659 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Sep 2022

Any gift ideas for a female child actor?

Hi everyone, I'm not an actor, but a dear friend of mine has a daughter who is, and she's about to have her quinceanera, so I thought perhaps a nice acting-based gift would be called for here, since I'm going to splurge. The problem is I have no idea what to get a teenage child actor, so I thought to ask here, if anyon…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Sep 2022

Salaries in Hollywood question.

Made this account just to find out an answer since google is saying actors make 30k a year. If there’s a better place to ask you can direct me there. So I’m watching Loot and came across Joel Kim Booster who is a great actor. I googled him to learn more and came across his net worth (which I know is 99% speculation bc…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Sep 2022

Help/Question/Training

Evening everyone! I just need some solid advice from fellow VO actors. I feel like I'm sorta in a weird bubble and stand still. I have studied with Crispin Freeman, Mick Wingert, Paul Liberti, Ned Lott, Richard Horvitz, and currently Nancy Wolfson. I have a somewhat "okay" commercial demo that was made back in 2018/201…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Sep 2022

How to write character descriptions for auditions

So im actually gonna make my first screenplay happen. But i have no real idea how to write character descriptions. What do the actors need to know in order to audition? I find it difficult to make the characters be described correctly in so little words. Any advice?

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Sep 2022

Call times and the actor

i know it’s better to arrive early on set rather then on time. How early should i arrive, i fear that i’ll arrive way to early before crew gets there.

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Sep 2022

Would you work on a one-man crew film?

Coming from a filmmaker. I'm making a short film, and I do not have a crew. The reasons are a mix of the film being a conversational piece and the fact that part of the project assignment (this is for film school) is that I cannot have a big crew. I need to have a major creative part in the film. All that considered, I…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Sep 2022

An online presence is super important - make sure you're contactable!

I've recently started producing my own short films with decent enough budgets and large casts/crews. One thing that got me was how little people self-promote. So here's some insight and tips from my journey. You've no idea how frustrating it is when trying to find good talent - maybe spotting them during an acting work…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Sep 2022

Booked my first lead in a feature, SO in my head about the actual shoot…

So basically, after 5 years of trying and trying and booking a ton of random acting jobs across a bunch of different genres and budget levels, I finally booked my first lead in a feature length film. My issue is, I have gotten very comfortable crafting my very best auditions and then sending them into the void expectin…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Sep 2022

Never been casted after years

For most of the past few years, i've been doing theatre. In high school, and in college, i've taken a myriad of acting classes. But no matter how many auditions I do, no matter how good, i have never ever gotten casted. I've been told many times by my teachers (who also happen to be directors, and do the majority of ca…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Sep 2022

I just feel that I'm not doing enough... is there more I can do???

I'm an actor in NYC. During the pandemic I was taking virtual acting classes, and doing workshops/seminars at various acting studios in the city. I got headshots and signed with a commercial modeling agent. I've been getting on set doing background work that I usually secure through Casting Networks. I just feel that I…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Sep 2022

Must an actor be a show-off?

I ask this as an older person who used to be an actor in NY in my 20s and 30s without much success. Now in my 60s I'm taking a class again, preparing to jump back in, and I'm wondering... I have a personality flaw that I'm a bit of a showoff and loudmouth. I can be pretty funny sometimes when the stars align. At work (…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Sep 2022

Got hired for my first background job.

Signed up for Central Casting and got booked for my first job. Big show. Actually my favorite TV show. I almost died when I got the offer. Will be fun. I know it’s not acting but it gets me on a set and maybe make contacts or friends. Who knows. I have manners (cause I am old) and will not bug people and watch the hell…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Sep 2022

Toronto Actors: Compass Artist Management

This is a throwaway account, but I've been hearing a lot of horror stories about this agency withholding payment from actors. Please use this thread as a place to communicate about this situation.

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Sep 2022

Is Backstage.com legit?

I’ve heard and seen a lot about it across the internet and it’s just a bunch of job postings for actors, etc. Pretty much everyone in the entertainment industry. Has anyone used it? Is it legit?

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Sep 2022

I wanna be actor

I’m 17. My names elijah. I wanna get a theater degree. How does one go about life after college ?

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Sep 2022

Weird Journey so far. (NO COMPLAINTS!) Any input

I have a facial difference and have been posting videos on tiktok for about a year and a half to two years about myself, my facial difference, and my opinions and daily life stuff to inspire others not to judge a book by its cover. Then as of about six months ago, I added a new category to my videos...Acting duets and…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Sep 2022

1-on-1 Acting Teachers in Toronto

For those actors in Toronto (but can be from anywhere), is there a highly rated acting teacher that provides 1-on-1 instruction?

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Sep 2022

Is there much of an acting community in Nevada?

Originally I was going to move closer to Los Angeles for acting (right now I live about 2 hours from LA) but now im looking to move to Las Vegas for cheaper housing very soon. I’m very green but still want to pursue acting along with any PA work even though I’m moving farther from a major market. So will I still find g…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Sep 2022

How should an audition reader deliver the lines?

Basically the title. I have a non-actor friend helping me be a reader for a scene. In the scene, I scare her so she is angry at me. Should the lines be delivered in a neutral tone or actually sound angry? I want to make sure it's as professional as possible.

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Sep 2022

Q about efficiency of online classes

Hey everyone, I'm sure this Q has been asked before, which I tried to find but couldn't, so apologies for the repeat if so. I'm a combat (spact) / stunt actor but I want to learn screen acting more to apply for roles. The nearest acting school / class to me is 4 hours away and I was wondering if taking online classes w…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Sep 2022

How affordable is studying acting in USA?

I'm from SA and here we don't have a cinema industry per se, so getting into acting beyond as hobby and experimentation is hard. The refined acting school are too expensive and working in cinema/TV may prove a really almost impossible task to burst the bubble and get a space. So since USA has the biggest industry world…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Sep 2022

How Do You Find Monologues That Fit Your Type?

For the most part I just use google and youtube to find monolouges, just wondering if there is a better way that more experienced actors have found (I'm still pretty new to the game).

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Sep 2022

Dream Plan opinions

I just turned 17 and I recently realized that I want to be an actor. I did some acting classes as a preteen and I was on a couple plays but now I know this is my way. I live in Italy but I’m currently on my exchange year in LA (chose la just for this reason). Next week I’m starting acting classes at Margie Haber acting…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Sep 2022

LAMDA MFA?

I read another post saying that LAMDA totally abandons the MFA program students, and that staff see them mostly as a cash cow because of how much international students pay for that program. (I'm from the US and would pay more $). So I wanted to ask if anyone has info on if the MFA at Lamda is worth it? I have already…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Sep 2022

Last Minute Scheduling Changes with Survival Jobs

I’m a working actor that recently moved to Atlanta from Richmond VA, but I’ve always relied on survival jobs to keep the lights on, and I keep running into issues when it comes to them working around my schedule. When I was still working at a movie theater, I booked a major speaking part in a cable docudrama series… th…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Sep 2022

IAMA Film/TV Actress AMA!

I have been in 4 film/tv shows * 1 major Hollywood film * 1 UK film * 1 Hulu show * Currently filming a Netflix show Ask me anything :)

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Sep 2022

The "What is The Method?" Quiz - How Well Will You Do?

Several recent articles about The Method -- mostly in Variety -- don't seem to have a clue what Method really is. The acting we see from the likes of Jeremy Strong, Daniel Day-Lewis, and Jared Leto, for example, is certainly great, but it's not Method acting. Actors who do the Method correctly are Bradley Cooper, Al Pa…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Sep 2022

Black Friday Shopping List Part 2

This is a continuation of the previous post. (https://www.reddit.com/r/VoiceActing/comments/xjjgiw/black_friday_shopping_list_part_1/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share) This is focused on what deal to look out for, for the voice actor on the go. You either stay in hotels for your day job, or just live in a noisy…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Sep 2022

Cash Pay at Non Union Job so How do I join SAG Union

https://i.imgur.com/cnO4eQ9.jpg Hello I'm an upcoming artist and I want to join the actress Union and on the side website it said that you need to have 3 days worth of non-union work and I was able to land a gig which allowed me 5 days worth of non-union work but they're paying me in cash at the end of the day 100 doll…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Sep 2022

Lost my Way

The title may sound a little off-putting but mostly this is for advice. I do want to become an Actor. I’ve putting in a lot of effort in school(Senior Now) ) but it’s time for me to decide what to do after highschool. Although I do believe that Acting will workout, in case it doesn’t I’d plan on going to Trade School.…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Sep 2022

Need help on Agent.

Hi. I am relatively new to acting with minor experience but a quite a little bit of knowledge. Anybody with IMDB Pro can you look up “Icon studio dallas”? I am close to signing onto their agency, however I want some opinions and insight. I met the agent at a modeling audition and he has an actors access , casting netwo…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Sep 2022

Ethnicity in Acting

I am technically south asian, but I could pass for hispanic, middle eastern, or ethnically ambiguous. My question is, can I only apply for roles that need south asian actors? Can I apply for other ethnicities as long as I can look like I belong to that ethnicity? Right now I am only applying for backstage/actor's acces…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Sep 2022

Question from Outsider - is Living in LA; NYC; or Atlanta; ETC Necessary anymore?

First off, not an actor or aspiring actor. Honestly no desire to be one. This is just something that I question with the extreme ease of access to record yourself in today's world. Is it still a necessity for the up and comers to pack up and move to Los Angeles or New York City or Atlanta or Toronto for the footwork an…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Sep 2022

Need an acting agent

male actor here. does anyone know where or how to find an acting agent I have been looking for awhile but cant find an agency. any tips are great

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2022

Jobs Hiring actors to give “testimonials”

Why can companies get away with this? I initially thought they needed actors to play the part of actual/real customers who have given actual testimonial but were just too shy to appear on camera so they’re hiring actors to say their lines….but no it turns out they just want you to completely fake a testimonial saying h…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2022

Music Video Actors Needed

Hi I have a lead on a music video needing actors in Chicago. The artist is Charles Jenkins - he has over a 5 billion Spotify streams - former pastor / inspirational singer - it’s an aspirational wholesome “we can do anything together” dance house track. The shoot is today and we need a lead female for the role. Is anyo…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2022

Do agents need to be involved in every role for an actor?

There’s this actor I found on a Facebook group who looks pretty interesting for a role I have written. He has a website which has two contacts. One of them is his agency and then a direct contact to him. He also made posts on the Facebook group asking people to ask him to audition for things. Based on this, I was just…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2022

Advice on agent sitch needed…

So - I’ve been asking everyone I know but I think maybe hearing it from a bunch of internet strangers may be the final push I need… UK based actor here, and I’ve been with my agent for a couple of years, since just before the pandemic. In that time the only jobs I have booked have been a couple of voice acting gigs (in…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2022

auditioning advice for musical

2 months ago I heard about auditions for the musical Oliver! about 2 hours from my house. I got so excited. Finally a role that actually FIT me! Fast forward one month, I'm at callbacks. I get pretty confident because I feel that I'm a little better than the other Olivers. The director sits everyone down and says "list…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2022

100th audition today!!

I decided in March I wanted to be an actress, so I did everything I could and got signed with my first agency March 26th! I just hit my 100th audition yesterday!!! :) (no vo’s included) I’m so proud of myself. This has been the hardest couple months of my life. I left everything to go to LA for 3 months just so I could…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2022

Any actors in Vegas?

This sub says we can make posts about jobs if we are paying which I am planning on doing so. I need two actors for one day of filming (8-10 hours). The film is mostly a conversation piece with a few moving shots here and there. I'm the only crew member since it is not difficult to film, but I really need some experienc…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2022

Who are the world's best dialect coaches for the American accent?

It's a shame there isn't much information about this online. I know "best" is subjective. And for dialect coaches, it's probably hard to say any are the best, because there are probably many who are perfect, and you can't be better than perfect. ​ I guess the best ones would be the ones who are the most expensiv…